Pixel 5a 5G: How long does it take for Republic to verify "bring your own phone" compatibility?

Want to get a new Google Pixel phone for my son. I know the 4a is compatible, but we are also looking at the new 5a with 5G model that is being released on August 26th. Google is selling an unlocked version, and I’d like to order it as soon as possible (their newer phones are all sold out - concerned about them selling out this new phone). Should I expect Republic to confirm compatibility in days/weeks/months?

Also, I understand the 5G aspect probably won’t be supported initially - not a concern.

6 Likes

Here’s the latest data-point that we have… Pixel 5 was released on Oct 15, 2020 on Oct 29, 2020 in the US and RW confirmed BYOP availability on November 5, 2020…so just under 3 weeks about 1 week.

Having said that it would be a speculative investment on your part to buy the phone prior to it being officially be supported by RW. Looks like you are well aware of it…but just wanted to reiterate it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. This helps a lot. We can wait a week or two to see what happens.

1 Like

I was seriously considering this phone also. I am on a Pixel 3a XL currently.

2 Likes

I’ll be upgrading my Pixel 3 to the Pixel 5a as soon as it’s confirmed to be supported by RW.

3 Likes

I am waiting as well. I love the pure Android experience as well as the Pixel “a” phones’ camera!

2 Likes

I love pure Android experience as well. I can’t wait to have the 5a supported!

1 Like

I bought a 5a to replace my Pixel 3a (on another carrier). Probably should have waited another year. 5G in my area is slower than 4G (by a a factor of 5).

Too bad, guess you just crossed just that line between being on the leading edge and suffering on the bleeding edge. Hopefully, it will get better for you as 5G matures.

I guess it’s the risk we take by being on the bleeding edge. I am sorry to hear about your slow speeds. Hopefully, it will get better. :crossed_fingers::pray:

Yeah, it’s no big deal. I just set the phone to prefer 4G for now. It’s just a matter of not really needing to spend the money when the Pixel 3a functions just as well.

Really hoping to hear news on this soon! I made the error of ordering before confirming RW coverage, I just assumed all pixel phones would work…

2 Likes

I did the same thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

@alyssak.z4snxr and @nicholaswilde , given historical information, you’re probably fine. Just in case, I wouldn’t crack open that plastic just yet.

3 Likes

I’m also curious to hear if RW will support the pixel 5a.

1 Like

I am awaiting confirmation before buying either a 4a 5G or 5a 5G, and was hoping to have a new phone before I go on call next Monday, but that’s looking less and less likely by the day… :confused:

1 Like

Pixel 4a 5G (G025E) is already on RW’s OK list. I’ll be shocked if 5a 5G doesn’t get added as well.

Sure, but the timeframe matters a lot if I’m planning on replacing my phone right now. I can wait a little longer to make this decision, but not for an unlimited amount of time, because my old phone is on its last legs.

3 Likes

Hi @johnz.1hu17e, @dustins.48cf0g, @theresar, @drhtpc, @nicholaswilde, @alyssak.z4snxr, @williams.8gh8ra, and @nathanielj.qdsme5,

Thank you for your interest in bringing a new phone to Republic. We truly appreciate that our members want to remain with us as they upgrade to these exciting new phones.

We are reworking our device certification process to be able to introduce many more devices in the future. Because of this, we are currently not certifying additional devices until that process is completed.

I understand that doesn’t answer the question of “if” or “when” for the new phones you are interested in bringing to our network, but I don’t want anyone making assumptions based on past timelines. When we have news for you about new supported phones, we’ll announce it in our #news category, so please keep an eye on that category for any updates.

6 Likes

I greatly appreciate the update. Do you happen to know approximately how long it’ll take to complete the new certification process?

Message an
Expert customer