Pixel 5a 5G: How long does it take for Republic to verify "bring your own phone" compatibility?

You could use Republic’s voicemail forwarding (call forwarding on no answer) to send calls from your Republic Pixel 3 to your new Pixel 5a on Google Fi. Granted, those you call from the Pixel 5a would still see an unfamiliar number rather than your Republic number they are accustomed to seeing when you call. Moving your Republic number to Fi would be the only way to solve for that.

1 Like

@rolandh - Couple of other downsides to that:

• won’t work for texts (i assume)
  • you would be paying for 2 service providers

You are correct.

It’s been mentioned here by those who’ve purchased Google’s Pixel 5a that Google Fi provides free service for three months as part of the purchase.

In any event, I didn’t make the suggestion as an ideal option. But, for those reluctant to move their Republic number elsewhere even temporarily, it’s an option.

1 Like

FYI - I just made the switch to Google Fi. Pretty painless. Hopefully RW will support the phone by the time my 3 mo. free trial is done and I can come back. My son’s phone is still on RW so I’m not totally gone :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m considering still getting a Pixel 6 when it comes out, but I don’t want to switch to Fi even temporarily because then I will lose my beta tester discount. :joy:

Hi @minilaura,

If Republic is unable to support the Pixel 6 when it’s released and you would like to activate the Pixel 6 with an alternate service provider without sacrificing your beta member discount, please come back and ask at that time. There are options for doing so though availing yourself of those options would require you continue to pay for Republic service while simultaneously using the Pixel 6 with another provider. I do not know whether Google Fi intends to offer three months of free service with the Pixel 6 as it currently does for the Pixel 5a.

1 Like

\

“Moving your Republic number to Fi would be the only way to solve for that.”

Another option is porting the Republic number to Google Voice, then having GV ring the Fi number. That way moving back would be easy. He would just change where GV sends the calls/texts. He wouldn’t have to pay Republic while using Fi but would lose the Republic beta discount if he has in now.

Thanks @southpaw et al. for the helpful information… I just did the same foolish thing as @ghamerly, bought a Pixel 5a assuming RW supported all the Pixels. Put the sim in the 5a this morning and was surprised to see the ‘unsupported device’ message!

I’ve been happy with RW the past few years but am going to move my number to Fi so I can use the new phone, even though I have 2 months left on my annual RW plan. The 3 months of free Fi makes it easy, otherwise I might have just waited. Planning to move outside the US soon and was going to have to cancel with RW anyway.

1 Like

Fi does have good international roaming, so continuing to use Fi after moving out of the U.S. is one option. Still, you’d probably be better off obtaining local (in country) cellular service once you move.

If you do choose to obtain local service after the move and would still like to keep your U.S. number, there would be a couple of options with Fi. Presuming you activate Fi on the Pixel 5a’s eSIM, you could obtain local service on a physical SIM and use a dual SIM configuration. Doing so would mean paying for both Fi and local service.

Another option would be to cancel Fi service after setting up local cellular service. When canceling Fi service (for any reason), there is the option of moving one’s Fi number to Google Voice.

Hi @brians.grisxi,

Welcome to our Member Community, though I’m sorry to see your first post is a farewell message. Thanks for the kind words as you look at making a change. Best of luck to you as you move away from the US!

I’ll admit I keep coming back here hoping for an update. Patiently impatient :crazy_face:

1 Like

When there’s an update I think there will be a big announcement as it won’t be about this phone, it’ll be about a whole new way to make phones compatible and likely a whole bunch of newly compatible phones.

1 Like

I am waiting with fingers crossed for this announcement as well…

I may do this as well IF my Pixel 2 continues to completely lock me out… I hope you will post how it works to go to Fi for the free 3 months and then come back!
I am also helped by users’ information and real-life solutions!

1 Like

Thanks, Southpaw! for all your patient help on this topic… I am watching and waiting for updates as well~

1 Like

So far so good with Fi. The only issue I had was the MMS messages from RW users continued to go to my old phone for about 10 days (all others only took about 30 minutes to start going to the new phone).

I’ll continue to watch RW to see when I can come back with the 5a.

2 Likes

Thank you… I may be trading in my Pixel 2 .

• List item

Really hoping for an update on this. I am also very much wanting to buy a new phone but if Republic doesn’t have the phone I want I may have to look at GoogleFi. Frankly I have liked Republic all the years I’ve had it and would hate to have to switch. Hope we get an update on this soon.

1 Like

Hi @aea,

Welcome to our Member Community.

I’m sorry not to have any news for you yet. Once there is news to share, I will make sure there is no delay in getting it posted in our Community.

3 Likes

I’ve closed this topic so we don’t end up with so many topics on the same matter. Let’s continue the conversation in Would Love an RW Phone Compatibility Update
which is not focused on a specific phone.