Please get cell coverage between Maysville, NC and Emerald Isle!, NC!

Please get cell coverage between Maysville and Emerald Isle!
thank you
surfSalterpath

Hi @surfSalterpath

Republic Wireless while growing to do many great things is only a MVNO or a service that runs on another carriers cell coverage. This means that Republic doesn’t actually put up cell towers themselves but rather relies on CDMA and GSM partners.

That said, what kind of phone do you have and where did you get it? I’m wondering if you are running on the GSM or CDMA partner. Republic’s maps (which may not be too accurate) shows that there should be GSM coverage between Maysville and Emerald Isle. CDMA coverage looks to be a little worse in that ea.

surfSalterpath,

Looking at RW’s partner network maps either one should provide adequate coverage at both locations and along the route. I wouldn’t expect to have have excellent high speed 4G data on the entire route and there could be a few dead spots.?

What would make you think the cell coverage is not available now? Thanks.
:flight_departure:

She has the s7 edge and there is NO cell service between Maysville and Emerald Isle. Known by actually not being able to dial out nor receive calls on hwy58 between the 2 communities. Granted it is fairly remote but VZ & USCellular hook in to these towers. I am familiar with how RW works, for the most part. Maybe RW should work an agreement w/ USC because their clients say they receive excellent Eastern NC cell coverage!
thanks!

The CDMA carrier (Sprint) generally has voice roaming agreements with US Cellular and/or Verizon (she would likely be able to call and text, but will receive no cellular data when roaming). You can submit a Help Ticket | Republic Wireless and inquire about switching the phone from GSM to CDMA or CDMA to GSM to see if one works better than the other.

She’s not concerned with the data connection. But being on that ‘lonely
stretch’ during the winter months without cell service can be daunting. I
don’t think it’s a phone thing - it’s a cell tower availability issue.
thanks

just not not all phones can be switched
Legacy phones need to use CDMA partner Sprint)
the Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016 or 2017), Samsung Galaxy J7, Samsung Galaxy S6, Moto Z, Moto Z Play (1st gen), Alcatel A30, and Huawei Ascend 5W are GSM only and will never be on the CDMA partner (they must use the GSM partner (T-mobile))
the Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Moto E4 Plus, Moto Z2 Play, Google Pixel 2, and Google Pixel 2 XL are currently only usable with the GSM partner

edit : missed the part where the Samsung Galaxy S7 was listed and that phone can be switch, still feel this information is valid for others looking for coverage improvments

Correct. The S7 Edge can be activated with either the CDMA carrier (Sprint) or the GSM carrier (T-Mobile). You could submit a Help Ticket | Republic Wireless and request a SIM card to insert in the phone and change whether the phone uses the CDMA or GSM carrier.

Perhaps, it would help if it were determined which of Republic’s cellular partners the phone in question is currently provisioned with? To do so, please power down the phone, then remove and examine the SIM. If the public part of the word Republic is green, the phone is provisioned with Republic’s GSM partner. Otherwise, it is provisioned with Republic’s CDMA partner (Sprint).

More on the coverage conundrum from Republic here: Republic Wireless Coverage – Republic Help.

Following-up on my initial reply, I suspect (but would need you to confirm as previously described) the phone is provisioned with Republic’s GSM network partner. I’ve examined the coverage along highway 58 between Maysville and Emerald Isle. Large parts of that area are characterized as fair coverage. This is how Republic’s GSM partner defines fair:

Cell reception outdoors and occasionally indoors.

Please note indoors includes a moving vehicle.

Many of us participating in this thread are asking you to examine coverage because if the phone is provisioned for coverage with Republic’s GSM partner, there is no possibility of roaming to Verizon or U.S. Cellular towers (no matter how many there are of them) because no roaming agreements exist between Republic’s GSM network partner and those entities. As @cbwahlstrom points out, Republic’s CDMA network partner (Sprint) may have roaming agreements with one or both, so moving the phone’s coverage from GSM to CDMA might very well improve the experience.

…dang, I’m learning stuff here! Awesome to have that ability to swap
between the 2 ‘types’ !

“If the public part of the word Republic is green, the phone is provisioned
with Republic’s GSM partner. Otherwise, it is provisioned with Republic’s
CDMA partner (Sprint).”

So I guess the next question would be which, GSM or CDMA, is best for
EasternNC data/cell service with the s7 edge?? AND, most importantly,
when you swap the SIMM CARD from GSM or CDMA, does that wipe all data from
your existing phone? thanks
ssp

Swapping SIM card do not effect the data/information/settings on the phone

the best answer to the which partner is best would come from on the ground experience
coverage maps are best guess and always a work in process
Republic’s GSM coverage map
GSM Partner (T-Mobile) coverage map
Republics CDMA Coverage map
CDMA Partner (Sprint) Coverage Map

You would actually be the best judge of this as you are there. :slightly_smiling_face: Having said that, I suspect overall CDMA will provide the better coverage experience. Regardless of which of Republic’s network partners the phone is provisioned with, you have nothing to lose trying the other to see if it provides a better experience and I encourage a conversation with Republic support for that purpose.

Thanks - this is very good info to know and everyone’s input is much
appreciated. The value RW offers to the messy cell phone marketplace
=AWESOME! Especially when I was able to tell VERIZON to SHOVE IT
after years of sticking it to us/me $$$$$ and the crappy customer service
they provide. Now if RW can FIND a way to do the same to
TimeWarnerCable/Spectrum!

Yes, the PUBLIC portion of republic on my current SIMM card is GREEN so I
guess this is a GSM “provisioned” phone. I’ve always heard GSM is not as
good
for EasternNC “cell phone” coverage as CDMA. I will reach out to the RW
help
desk and see if they will send me a CDMA SIMM card and have her test out
the CDMA service on this lonely winter time stretch of road!

thanks!!!
surfSalterpath

I’ve always heard T-MOBILE (GSM) service in EasternNC is the pitts! Now,
she has
experienced it!

re: Perhaps, it would help if it were determined which of Republic’s
cellular partners the phone in
question is currently provisioned with? To do so, please power down the
phone, then remove and
examine the SIM. If the public part of the word Republic is green, the
phone is provisioned with
Republic’s GSM partner. Otherwise, it is provisioned with Republic’s CDMA
partner (Sprint).

You may want to look at RootMetrics actual performance map, as telco maps are usually derived from engineering expectation
Results shown for Verizon by drilling down to the highway/area using http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US

it allows you to select your desired cell service provider and drill into very tight granularity as it is derived from driving the paths with an automate suite of phones running continuously and gathering the data

…thanks for the suggestions to try the CDMA SIM card to see if that
will help.

Hello Surf,

Thanks for confirming your shipping address.

We’ve submitted a request to have a SIM card shipped to the address you
provided. The new card will be shipped to you via USPS and you should
receive it within the next 5-10 business days.

There will be simple instructions included in the package on how to insert
& activate the new SIM card.

If you don’t receive your new SIM card within the specified time-frame,
please let us know.

Thanks,
Jeremy

OK-this will be a GOOD test. Next time she’s driving hwy58S Maysville2EmeraldIsle we will test the CDMA sim card which is now installed vs how the GSM sim card performed. This will be interesting. During the SIM card update process, I saw “SPRINT” 's name pop up so I will assume the towers we use will be “SPRINT” cell towers" – Shame RW cannot work an agreement with US CELLULAR to have access of their towers DownEastNC !!
thanks for all you guys help
surfSalterpath

Using the map shown above, here is what you might expect (click to enlarge)

that is not very good coverage!
US CELLULAR tower access would help this a LOT!