Post Scam Alerts Here

Recently ES File Explorer started pushing bogus notifications to my SO’s pull-down shade.

Here are a few of the notifications along with what appears when tapping on them:

5 Likes
Moto E (2nd gen) - 2 years old

Along the same scam line Potential Hurricane Harvey Phishing Scams

1 Like

I removed ES File Explorer from two of my devices. It’s nothing more than a mobile billboard.

Another app I removed and was quite angry with the developers was Photo Grid. They added Charge Master that supposedly regulated how my phone was charging and ads appeared while charging. What nerve!

3 Likes

I too removed ES file explorer over a year ago (when they started changing the lock screen) they became just a ad bot in my eyes
I’ve switch to

there are many other file explorers that don’t take over the phone

3 Likes

Here is another one:

1 Like

This is a tough topic @billg, without directly naming such a scam.

Let’s just say there are companies that claim to make a USB device that will speed up your old computer “like new”. We have all seen them.

Well, guess what!, when my elderly father was throwing a fit after purchasing one through an ad from an online bank, on a social media site, they called me to see if I could make it work.

Through a quick Google search I learned it’s just a Linux build on a stick that you can make yourself and most likely will have little affect on the device without other major changes.

(Does that count?.) :slightly_smiling_face:

It sounds like a scam to me. :cyclone:

1 Like

Well then, I’m not sure the Xtra-PC USB device could be defined as anything less. More bothersome to me is that, it is getting harder and harder to tell what is legitimate.

What good is a red flag if everything is flagged red?. :neutral_face:

All of the things posted in this thread I have experienced. Really appreciate the screenshots!.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer