Prepaid for a year and now considering cancelling

I have been with Republic for a long time, but this year my cell connection has been spotty.

My husband would like me to switch to ATT. However, I prepaid for a year with Republic. What is the refund policy if I switch providers now?

As with any plan at Republic, you are free to leave and take your 3.0 phone to any carrier that will accept them. (they are standard North America unlocked)
However, with the yearly prepay there is no refund … sorry

2 Likes

Hi @dianep.89rvzi and welcome to the Community!

If Republic’s coverage has worked for you in the past, it may be possible to get it working for you now. To that end, may we know, the brand, model and generation of the phone you currently use with Republic?

Might we also trouble you for a zip code (nothing more) for the purpose of examining Republic’s coverage in your area?

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t really want to leave so that is actually not bad news to me!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you. I live in 01876. My connectivity is good on the WiFi. I have been getting spotty service when I’m out and about locally. As I say, I’ve been with Republic for years and this is the first year I’ve been less than happy.

I have a MotoGS plus. The version is 8.1.0. Any tips would be appreciated!

Sorry. Missed a number. Moto G5S plus.

Hi @dianep.89rvzi,

You mention being a Republic customer for years but the coverage issue cropping up in the last year or so. Might that have coincided with the upgrade to the Moto G5S Plus?

In any event, I need to ask for one more favor:

Open the Republic App on your G5 Plus
Tap the gear icon upper right
Tap About
Under the Phone Info section, your phone’s SIM type will be listed (GSM or CDMA)

Please let us know if the SIM type is GSM or CDMA?

No. I got the phone last Christmas and it was working fine until this summer. It may have been around the time I prepaid for a year’s service but that shouldn’t affect anything, should it?

It says GSM.

Hi @dianep.89rvzi,

No, annual prepay is not the cause. As you may know, Republic is able to provision most of its newer compatible phones (including your Moto G5 Plus) for cellular coverage with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. The other network partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint.

Your G5 Plus is currently provisioned with GSM (T-Mobile) coverage (the reason I asked you to check the SIM type). Looking at the maps (the reason I asked for your zip code), it appears that CDMA (Sprint) coverage would be better for you than GSM (T-Mobile) coverage. GSM coverage isn’t bad everywhere in your area but there are enough pockets of not so good coverage an in and out experience as you travel about doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me a bit is that this hasn’t been an issue all along.

That being the case, let’s see if we might rehabilitate your existing coverage as follows:

If that fails to improve the coverage experience, I suggest asking Republic to switch provisioned coverage as described here:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I do not use the phone very much outside of the home so that may be why I didn’t have a problem before. My husband has had trouble communicating with me a number of times and that is what brought this subject up.

I will try the advice you have given me. Have a very good holiday season!

1 Like

Hi @dianep.89rvzi,

It looks to me like you’d be better served with our other SIM card, as @rolandh mentioned.

There’s no charge to change your SIM card, and you would not lose any personal content on the phone. I’d be glad to include one with a Republic Wireless T-shirt I’d like to send you as a thank you for the above kind comment.

I’ll message you privately to get some shipping details. Although you’ve been seeing some of these replies by E-mail and responding to them by E-mail, the entire conversation has been in your public topic in our Community. We don’t want to share your address publicly, so please don’t use the E-mail reply option to this message to send me those details.

3 Likes

HI, Dianep,
I was having a similar difficulty. I tried a reset and all kinds of things. Nothing worked. I wrote for help and the guy directed me to do the steps below. I did and I am up and running again. It was really, really easy. I am not techie at all and I did it myself by following the directions as I read them. Took maybe 5 minutes total including it turning off, on and reloading. I do not know if it will work for you, but it is worth a try. My techie helper was Jeremy.

1 Like

Thanks!

Message an
Expert customer