Privacy ripoff    Republic wants to sell your info and market you crap...like everybody else.  Screw your privacy. Why do

/why do they make our ‘settings’ for Privacy ALLOW them to market us crap??? why no default NO don’t SeLL my info or sell me crap…WHY! STOP IT. DEFAULT ME MAX PROTECTION— I AM A HUMAN—NOT A ‘CONSUMER’

Moderator’s note: Title edited to meet Community guidelines.

4 Likes

You understand your costs are lower because of things like that. This is nothing new under the sun. I saw posts going back to 2013 in these forums about this. If you don’t go through every menu/screen/option of your phone (or any device for that matter) and every screen/option of any account settings associated with those devices, then you have failed yourself.

Our technical knowledge/interest or lack of is no excuse for not knowing our equipment and letting something like this surprise us.

To quote you, “…Republic wants to sell your info and market you crap…like everybiody else.”, why is this a surprise if everyone does it?

The same concept applies to things like AdBlocker. If everyone uses AdBlocker, then eventually the free websites will not be able to sustain as free websites. (btw I use AdBlocker because I know not everyone will use it, but that’s another argument on another post)

There were instruction in the email on how to opt out. Here they are:

Log in 24 hours day or night to your customer portal and change the setting by following the steps below.

1. Log in to My Account.
  2. On the left side, click Account Settings.
  3. Click Privacy Settings.
  4. Uncheck the box next to “I approve Republic Wireless’s use of my CPNI for marketing purposes”
4 Likes

Actually, I agree that for a paid service an opt-out to marketing is unacceptable. This should always be an opt-in, unless the service is being provided “free”.

4 Likes

@peterb.h3vqtd

Yelling in the community isn’t nice unless the yell is Free Beer or Pizza. Capital type is considered yelling and some frown on it. I hope you secure your Privacy. Ps I won’t buy it your safe with me.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

Hi @peterb.h3vqtd

Here is a document that outlines Republic Wireless Privacy.

Privacy Policy - There is a .pdf file attached at the bottom.

(click to enlarge).

A more specific document here: Customer Proprietary Network Information (“CPNI”).

4 Likes

Also being discussed here:

How will Republics CPNI usage affect me?

4 Likes

May I ask why you believe providing a link to documentation is unhelpful? Neither @c1tobor or I took a position on Republic’s CPNI policies. We merely pointed folks to a resource that might provide information useful in making up one’s own mind.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to opt-out of companies, banks, etc. that I’m using “sharing” my information to other companies, banks, etc. Just business as usual, unfortunately. I agree 100% that I should have to opt-in before anyone that I’m paying for services is able to share my personal information. However, that’s not the way that it is, and won’t be that way until there are laws stating that opt-in is required. So I’ve gotten used to it, and dutifully go and opt out every chance I get. Don’t like it, but that’s life these days. And, for the time, being, don’t expect to see any more laws being made to protect me as a consumer (but that’s another subject).

4 Likes

I think most would @macemoneta

I fear nanobots in TP reporting product suggestions to Google about my dietary choices…so I hear 'ya.

Hi @peterb.h3vqtd,

I’m locking this thread, not that there’s anything wrong with it, but simply because we have an earlier one here: How will Republics CPNI usage affect me? and for the sake of being able to keep up with all the questions and feedback, I need everything in one place. Please continue the conversation there.

4 Likes
Message an
Expert customer