Problem with my Moto G4 phone constantly "glitchy" for months

I have a Moto G4. I purchased it from RW exactly a year ago. I started having problems specifically with Google Maps randomly opening up when using the app and when using other apps. I googled it and saw that other people were having those issues and thought it was an Android glitch that would eventually get fixed with an update. Well, it never got fixed and within the past few months, the crazy behavior has gotten worse. I’ve had older used RW phones not give me these headaches. Now if I have the speed dial page open, it might randomly tap numbers and call people. I can’t even cancel the call. I can tap one app and another app will open. It’s like the phone is possessed. My ebay app is even crazier when it starts listing drafts of items for me to sell as I’m just looking things up. I’m at my wits end and don’t want to buy another phone as I don’t think I even got good use out of mine without it acting up.

Turning the screen off multiple times seems to make it stop only temporarily.

Does anyone know if a factory reset or some other thing can fix this or do I need to get a new phone?

My plan (I think) is called My Choice and includes data.

Hi @davidb.x8inbb!

Let’s try a few things. First, have you tried clearing the cache ? If so, have you tried running the phone in safe mode to see if it still acts up ? Safe mode helps us to see if there is a third-party app that is causing your phone to act up. Try some of those and use it for a while to see if it has any effect. If all else fails, you can factory reset it, but that is a last resort. Let us know if anything changes!

mb2x

No, I haven’t tried these things yet. I never knew about the cache clearing, but I did have to use safe mode once before and it was an app that was causing the phone to be unresponsive. It will take some time to see if it starts acting up. I noticed that it seems to do it more when my phone is in motion like me walking around a store. I will try them and report back.

Ok. You maybe want to go ahead and just factory reset it if the warranty expires today. That way, if you don’t see a difference by the end of the day, you can start the ball rolling for a warranty repair before time runs out.

My SO recently switched from a Moto X (1st Gen) with a glass screen protector to a Moto X (2nd Gen) without a screen protector. Now she complains that her screen is too sensitive. I’d put a glass screen protector on it but the screen on the X2 is slightly curved and they don’t work well. If she continues to complain I’ll put a film screen protector on it.

Mb2x, I’m not sure I understand you. What warranty? My phone is under warranty? Even if it was under warranty, what’s the significance of doing a factory reset today?

billg, I don’t think my problem has anything to do with the screen. The phone is literally doing things on its own without me touching anything. It didn’t used to do this. However, my husband does have a moto X and complains of problems with it (not sure exactly what kind). So I’ll pass that on to him.

Yes, a one year warranty. If you bought the phone a year ago today (from a retailer) the warranty expires today. After today, companies don’t have an obligation to repair or replace your phone to free. If you wait until tomorrow, your warranty will have expired.

Ok thanks, I didn’t know I had a warranty for one year. I checked the date and I think it was the 26th or 27th so I still have some time. Thanks a lot!

Update: After I did the factory reset, the problems actually got worse much to my surprise. The RW expert person said it’s called “ghost touch”. I sent my phone back to Motorola for warranty service. Thanks so much for letting me know I could do this! I’ve been dealing with this for so long and even though I’ll be without a phone for about a week, I’m glad to be able to get a phone without these issues.

Hello. I have been experiencing the same glichy phone syndrome. I have the Moto G 4th gen. Over the past year it has been getting worse and is now to the point that it disrupts my daily life. This month I logged into Republic and read some of the help forums and followed instructions. I regularly clear caches but yesterday I cleared the OS cache for the first time. Within 12 hours the same problem occurred. Today I have been in safe mode and same problem. It is not with any certain app. It does not happen at any certain time or app use. It will make calls while in my purse. It will send texts, all gibberish and random. My husband has the same phone and is experiencing the same thing only on occasion. His was factory reset and no apps added, same problems. The only other difference in our phones is he uses his far less than I do. I believe my phone is past warranty and his did not come from republic. I’m following this thread in hopes for a fix for both of our phones. I’m also wondering if anyone else has a Moto G4 32GB with same problems.

If you turn down the screen brightness a lot of times it will help with most of the ghost touch issues. It’s not a perfect solution and doesn’t work 100% of the time but it cuts down on it a lot. When you get a replacement G4 from Motorola a lot of times you will find you still have the same issue after a few months.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.