Problem With Nationwide Coverage Map?

I believe there is an issue with the coverage maps shown when using Republic’s coverage check tool.

When I enter my home zip code (60016) into the coverage tool, all phones and BYOP are available for me to buy which tells me that preferred coverage has defaulted to Republic’s GSM partner (T-Mobile). When I enter zip codes for places in Iowa I travel to frequently (ex: 52726), the list of phones is shortened to those phones that are “optimized” and BYOP is no longer available. This tells me that preferred coverage has defaulted to Republic’s CDMA partner (Sprint.)

I believe the coverage tool is only partially working properly. It will guide shoppers to compatible phones for each zip code entered. However, clicking the link to “see nationwide coverage map” is not working properly. In my example, the EXACT SAME COVERAGE MAP is shown for zip codes 60016 and 52726. I believe that the GSM coverage map should show up when 60016 is entered and the CDMA coverage map should show up if 52726 is entered.

Can anyone else verify if they are seeing this same situation with the coverage maps?

As far as I understand it, The data on the coverage maps comes from the partner carrier, not RW.

Have your tried used RootMetrics Map?
That site is populated by real world users and show real world stats.
You can also toggle through each of the major networks to see what is best and worst in those area and data points.

Hi @ryand.wsr2ce,

Your diagnosis is correct and I believe the behavior changed with some recent updates to Republic’s website. My understanding is Republic is aware of this, however, I have no further insight beyond that.

For now, since we know Republic’s CDMA partner is Sprint I suggest using Sprint’s map for CDMA coverage linked here: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

3 Likes

I’m not sure the coverage maps reflect the actual coverage. My cousin and I travel Northern Wisconsin car shows he has Sprint I have Republic. Many times he’ll have cell connection and I won’t. I think Sprint is holding back.

Hi @rdrake1585,

The reality is no coverage map perfectly reflects coverage on the ground.

That is not my understanding nor is it certain the phone you’re using with Republic is provisioned for cellular coverage with Sprint. May we know the brand, model and generation of the phone you’re using with Republic?

My phone was a Moto G 3rd gen

Hi @rdrake1585,

rdrake1585:

I’m not sure the coverage maps reflect the actual coverage.

The reality is no coverage map perfectly reflects coverage on the ground.

rdrake1585:

I think Sprint is holding back.

That is not my understanding nor is it certain the phone you’re using with Republic is provisioned for cellular coverage with Sprint. May we know the brand, model and generation of the phone you’re using with Republic?

Hi @rdrake1585,

I note use of the past tense was, so you no longer have the Moto G3? A Moto G3 on Republic is indeed provisioned for cellular coverage with Sprint. There are troubleshooting steps that may correct the experience you had, however, if you no longer have the phone there’s no point to trying them. If you do still have the Moto G3, please let us know.

changed to moto g5s plus haven’t tried it yet. will let you know.

1 Like

You might also give root metrics a look here
http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-US
There is also an app too.

1 Like

I agree with you on the RootMetrics you referenced. They drive the main routes with a suitcase of phones constantly calling the main carriers. Then this data is analyzed and mapped into ‘cells’ where they provide a hit count and the quality. This is then augmented with user provided data from their app, where we as end users fill in some of the empty spots (like your shortcut to work etc. etc. if you use it often enough)

Here is a comment that I made a few days ago when a user was looking for coverage help

Being one who has little faith in the coverage maps (they are based off of engineering models, not actual user) … I prefer to use something like RootMetrics who actually drive the main routes and then augment this with user feedback. Here a couple of screenshots from their Website, where I inputted the Universities address 143 Main St Buies Creek NC

Here is the link to CUBuies Creek info on campus Internet/WiFi

• of note is the fact that personal routers/AP’s are forbidden, and students caught using them will loose their network connectivity and the hardware will be confiscated
Message an
Expert customer