Procedures with suggested software to recover reset phone data, Moto X 2nd Gen

getting_help

What phone do you have? Moto X 2nd Gen
What plan are you on? 3G data, wifi, text, roam
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data

Issue Description

Hi. My phone was reset by accident, the Moto X 2nd Gen, and I lost all my data. I have note files, pdf files, pics and videos and music to hopefully recover. Do you have a test procedure with software suggestions that works? I’ve tried doing it once with Kingo Root, to root it, but it won’t root, or so the recovery software called 7thShare indicates when I go to run it, something like “Error, cell phone isn’t rooted properly”. I never got to use the forensic recovery software because it refused to root correctly. Maybe I was doing something wrong though. I’m medium tech-head, but out of practice on cell phones. Please tell me there is a document or procedure somewhere that tells me step by step how to recover the data and what software to use. Thank you. Christopher

Hi @chris_letizian,

Sorry to be the bearer of unwelcome news, however, short of professional forensic recovery, there’s likely nothing to be done. In my experience lesser measures simply don’t work. Furthermore, no one to my knowledge has successfully rooted a Moto X 2nd Generation. Doing so first requires unlocking the bootloader, which hasn’t been sucessfully cracked.

If interested in a professional recovery service, these folks have a goo reputation but aren’t cheap (think hundreds to possibly thousands of dollars):

Hi. Thanks. Do you know if any of RW phones can be recovered? If not, when I upgrade phones that may be a factor. Why does the bootloader need to be cracked? Why doesn’t RW or Motorola just provide the software or procedures to do it?

Newer Republic phones are North American factory unlocked. Republic no longer needs to modify the Android operating system to make its’ blended WiFi/cell service work. Theoretically, it should be possible to root any of them. If interested in a specific phone, I suggest asking how easy doing so is over on XDA. Republic’s position on rooting is here: Rooting and User Modification – Republic Help.

Understanding that it’s too late for this instance, I suggest that backing up important data would be the better approach. Of the brands, Republic currently supports, Samsung arguably makes that easiest.

Rooting Moto series phones first requires an unlocked bootloader.

The best I’m able to do here is make an educated guess. Republic’s legacy phones (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2) require a modified Android operating system. This modified system is a cooperative effort of Republic, Motorola and Sprint. Perhaps, one of those do not wish to be responsible from a support perspective for dealing with rooted phones? At best, providing the keys would require cooperation from all three, which I don’t see happening.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.