PSA: Google Messenger Now Android Messages

Apparently, the app formerly known as Google Messenger has now morphed into being Android Messages: Android Messages - Android Apps on Google Play. As this is Republic’s supported messaging app for new 3.0 phones, I thought it might be useful information.

6 Likes

this name change will help with some people being confusing with Facebook Messenger

6 Likes

You know what would help more, Google settling on one messaging strategy. We now have AOSP Messaging, Android Messages, Hangouts and Allo.

6 Likes

this is also true

Google has a habit of throwing every way at a issue and seeing what work and then dropping what doesn’t(even when many are happy with the current solution) (Google also like to have at lease 2 ways of doing anything)

AOSP Messaging is this just about dead only older phone still have it most new lollipop build phones have Messenger(now Android Messages) as the replacement and only phone launch before Messenger was release still have it

Google just doesn’t know what to do with Hangouts is it a all in one OTT texting/video/calling app?, a SMS/MMS client?, a FaceTime competitor? a Google Voice interface the main use I seen is the FaceTime competitor and group video chat (Duo is now Google preferred Video Chat app)

Allo main weakness is it doesn’t do SMS interface very well which means it wants to use data

I got the update today and it automatically changed from one to the other. Most people won’t even notice.

6 Likes

I wonder if this is a precursor to Google Pushes for RCS Messaging with “Android Messages”, New Partners and Business Integration ?

Thanks for the interesting read!

Notably absent (apparently) from the OEMs who’ve agreed to preload Android Messages are Samsung and Huawei. I’m reasonably certain Samsung sells more Android phones (by a fair amount) than any other manufacturer. As far as hardware manufacturer’s are concerned, looks like Samsung, Apple and Huawei are numbers 1, 2 and 3. Both Samsung and Huawei (for now anyway) continue to march to the beat of their own Android drummers.

ETA: • Global smartphone market share 2016 | Statista.

The biggest question is will Republic wireless start working on adding the RCS protocol to their messaging system. There sounds like a lot of awesome features that this brings.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Republic Anywhere already does so. Anywhere (and some other 3rd party messaging apps) support Google’s Android system messaging API. In fact, lack of support of the Android system API in the current AOSP Messaging apps is the reason Republic specifies Android Messages (formerly Google Messenger) as the supported messaging app for 3.0 phones. This would be a great question to ask here: Republic Anywhere BETA.

6 Likes

Google has a habit of throwing every way at a issue and seeing what work and then dropping what doesn’t(even when many are happy with the current solution) (Google also like to have at lease 2 ways of doing anything)
True, the question is why? The method hasn’t exactly been a screaming success much of the time.

AOSP Messaging is this just about dead only older phone still have it most new lollipop build phones have Messenger(now Android Messages) as the replacement and only phone launch before Messenger was release still have it
Have to respectfully disagree here. While true for Google and Motorola phones, this is not true of the Android market as a whole. Samsung continues to ship its’ bundled Messages app as does Huawei and others. In the overall Android market, Samsung and Huawei ship a whole lot more phones than Google/Motorola.

Google just doesn’t know what to do with Hangouts is it a all in one OTT texting/video/calling app?, a SMS/MMS client?, a FaceTime competitor? a Google Voice interface the main use I seen is the FaceTime competitor and group video chat (Duo is now Google preferred Video Chat app)

Supposedly Hangouts is being refocused as a business/enterprise offering whatever Google means by that. To further confuse the situation, Google has enhanced the Google Voice apps after years of neglect presumably because Hangouts was supposed to be the successor.

Allo main weakness is it doesn’t do SMS interface very well which means it wants to use data
Is the Allo/Duo combination supposed to be a FaceTime killer? A Skype killer? A WhatsApp killer? A Facebook Messenger killer? Suffice to say, I seriously doubt the combo will kill any of them.

@drm186

Android Messenger sounds like it belongs on the phones. Just Messenger sounded generic or 3rd party. I do agree with you FB Messenger confuses people. I feel most of us that know “don’t use it” know it is a plague.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

I don’t believe this has anything to do with an app. Yes the app needs to support it but the carrier (republic wireless) need to support it on their messaging system servers.

You may very well be correct. Why not ask the folks with the definitive answers here: Republic Anywhere BETA? You don’t need to be a beta tester to access the forum.

Hey @rolandh and @reggiem.i0xgq5! We are looking into both carrier and app side requirements for RCS. Nothing to announce at this point, but it’s on our radar. Thanks!

6 Likes
Message an
Expert customer