PSA - Potential Hurricane Harvey Phishing Scams

Shared as a PSA (Public Service Announcement)

Potential Hurricane Harvey Phishing Scams

Original release date: August 28, 2017

US-CERT warns users to remain vigilant for malicious cyber activity seeking to capitalize on interest in Hurricane Harvey. Users are advised to exercise caution in handling any email with subject line, attachments, or hyperlinks related to Hurricane Harvey, even if it appears to originate from a trusted source. Fraudulent emails will often contain links or attachments that direct users to phishing or malware-infected websites. Emails requesting donations from duplicitous charitable organizations commonly appear after major natural disasters.
Check link above for full details

6 Likes

Just to add if you do donate contact your local legit donation outlets. Many have trucks leaving this weekend to get to affected areas. Another thought is to go on you local News station’s website / app & I am sure they have donation news, drop off sites & some form of monetary donation fund. Stuff needed is bottled water- bleach-detergents -clothes -diapers -food -cleaning supplies -shoes ect the list is endless. If you use it every day it is needed. It was Texas & the Gulf States it could have been you, you’re home’s or business’s, family friends cousins neighbors… Have a heart & help by donating in any way, load Texas bound trucks, help is help anyway one decides .
Sorry but i am off my soapbox now Thank you for reading ! God Bless

3 Likes

Please don’t be sorry. That is great information. I need to seriously downsize due to a move with less closet space. It’s all in great shape and sitting unused. Putting it on a truck to Texas is a great idea. We all have things to contribute. We are all seeing how badly they need help. It’s not a soapbox. It’s caring for one another, no matter. Thank You.

4 Likes

That is a great point. The American Red Cross is always a good place to donate. They are usually the first ones to arrive and the last to leave. One knows where the money goes with them and local organizations which are trusted.
Also…the animal shelters in affected areas badly need money for resources. Let’s not forget the creatures which give us so much comfort; creatures being people’s pets who are in need. There must be so many worried people wondering where Fido or Sylvester or Tweety or countless other beloved animals are right now. I heard our Humane Society issue a request for people to call local shelters in Texas and donate.

3 Likes

In Cleveland the shelters waived adoption fees to help make room for rescued adoptable dogs & cats. I wish I could rescue one myself but Diesel wouldn’t be happy sharing anything.

3 Likes

Very sadly, it looks like we’ll be doing this for Florida next week. Irma looks much, much worse. I sure hope we get a miracle and it heads out to open waters which generate no momentum.

Message an
Expert customer