Purchased a FreedomPop SIM Card Today

Hi, everyone.

Our family is a long time Republic Wireless user and we have 4 phones on our Republic Wireless account.

We like to see what’s out there and today I came across an article about how FreedomPop released a free plan using AT&T’s network. It was 2 dollars for the Sim card so I ordered one.

After the free trial period, the user gets 200 minutes, 500 texts and 500 MB of data for free each month.

(It’s my understanding that voice calls on FreedomPop use the carriers’ data network for calls rather than the carriers’ voice system - unless you upgrade to their Premium Voice plan which I guess is extra.)

I have an extra GSM phone lying around so I plan to use that when the SIM card arrives.

Looking at their paid plans, they have a plan for 12.99 a month that has unlimited talk and text with 500 MB of Data per month. This only includes basic texts. MMS texts are 1.99 more a month.

So why did I do this if I’m a long time Republic Wireless user? Mostly out of curiosity and experimentation.

But…

I’m on the $10.00 1.0 (talk and text only with NO data) plan with my Moto X and it would really be nice to have a little bit of Data so I can receive messages from apps such as Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts & Signal while I’m not connected to Wi-Fi.

So, if FreedomPop works out, I could have 500 MB of data with unlimited talk and text on FreedomPop for $15 where I would only get unlimited talk and text and NO data on RW’s 3.0 plan for the same price. It’s the data I’m after.

However, there’s the “hassle factor” associated with using another carrier.

Anyway, I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

Hi @wayloncovil

Just out of curiosity, have you considered using the X1 on the 2.0 Refund Plan for $10+.5GB?.

That would cost $17.50 but you are refunded for unused data each month. Most on that plan average under $14 per cycle, and keeps you on Sprints CDMA network, with cellular data when needed.

I realize maybe you just want to upgrade the X1 to a newer device, so if that is the case, then my question is moot.

Again, just curious.

wayloncovil wrote:

But…

I’m on the $10.00 1.0 (talk and text only with NO data) plan with my Moto X and it would really be nice to have a little bit of Data so I can receive messages from apps such as Facebook Messenger, Google Hangouts & Signal while I’m not connected to Wi-Fi.

So, if FreedomPop works out, I could have 500 MB of data with unlimited talk and text on FreedomPop for $15 where I would only get unlimited talk and text and NO data on RW’s 3.0 plan for the same price. It’s the data I’m after.

However, there’s the “hassle factor” associated with using another carrier.

Anyway, I’ll let you know how it goes.

@wayloncovil

The sim from FP don’t work in the 1.0/2.0 legacy phones. A new phone will have to be purchased probably BYOD in your case.

*** ~~ßocephous™***

edit: ~~ßocephous™* puts glasses on and re-reads OPs posting. OOPs!*

1 Like

The OP did state “I have an extra GSM phone lying around”, so I am guessing that will be the FP device.

1 Like

From the OP:

I have an extra GSM phone lying around so I plan to use that when the SIM card arrives.

@wayloncovil, I recently acquired a FreedomPop SIM for a penny. For the first month, they’ve provided a free trial with unlimited talk, text and 2GB of 3G cell data. Do note that FreedomPop’s cell data is limited to 3G. OTOH, GSM 3G cell data is light years faster than Sprint’s glacial 3G cell data. Interestingly FreedomPop’s GSM coverage seems to be provided by Three (UK service provider) via its international roaming agreements with both AT&T and T-Mobile.

You must also use FreedomPop’s custom messaging app, which is where phone calls (which in the absence of premium voice are indeed routed over cell data) also originate. All in all, I find the arrangement sufficiently clunky that I won’t use it for anything other than backup/experimentation. Still a penny wasn’t much to risk. I will be downgrading to free service just as soon as my trial runs out. Otherwise, I’d be obligated to pay $20/month for talk, text and 1GB cell data. It’s a match for Republic 3.0 on price but not for quality in my experience.

Lastly, FreedomPop numbers are VoIP just like Republic’s. In fact, they’re Bandwidth.com numbers also like Republic’s.

ETA: Forgot to mention with FreedomPop, MMS (picture and group messaging) is an add-on as I believe is voicemail (at least visual voicemail).

1 Like

c1tobor,

Thanks for the suggestion. I honestly hadn’t thought about that. I’ll take a look.

Much appreciated!

1 Like

rolandh,

Thanks for those suggestions. I’ll have to look out for the “clunkyness”. It’s always good to save a few bucks but not if it causes too much aggravation in the process.

It looks like FP has 3 services available. Their Sprint Service, a Global SIM, and an LTE SIM (AT&T).

It sounds like you have the Global SIM.

I read a good blog post here where the author talks about all 3 options.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @wayloncovil

You’re correct, I do have the global SIM. The LTE SIM is sufficiently new that it may not have been an option when I grabbed the global SIM. Anyway, I’m just playing with FreedomPop, I wouldn’t consider it as a primary service at this point.

As far as I know the Sprint service is only available for compatible devices purchased from FreedomPop. There’s no bring your own on that.

Thanks for the link to the blog. The author does as good a job as I’ve seen done explaining how to navigate FreedomPop’s byzantine web site and plan structure in order to actually get free service.

I wouldn’t mind getting a sim to check it out. I’m reading, though, that my Moto x pure xt1575 doesn’t work with freedom pop? I’m pretty sure the unlocked mxp is gsm and cdma. Can someone enlighten me?

Hi @phillipn.o37ifm,

There isn’t a reason it shouldn’t work with either the 4G LTE SIM or the global SIM. I don’t believe it will work with FreedomPop’s Sprint based service. The latter isn’t an inherent limitation of the phone but activating phones for CDMA (Sprint) is more complicated than GSM.

I put my FreedomPop LTE SIM card in my Moto X Pure and it worked fine. I only tried it for a little bit but I didn’t see any issues.

I recently tried Freedom Pop free service. They charged my credit card $7.50 x 2. 15.00 dollars, for 2 months. Doesn’t seem to be free to me. It took me 2 billing cycles to stop the charges. They did refund 1 month.Beware. The customer service person said the charges would be stopped. Then, they charged me the next month again.

Message an
Expert customer