Question of the Week (4): TV streaming apps

What TV streaming apps are you using? Which services have the best channel selection and price?

I’ve tried Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and Directv Now. I liked PlayStation Vue for use across multiple devices and channel selection (app performance also seemed better than the rest). When Comcast came up with a Roku app I abandoned them all. I’m still a Comcast cable customer, and ultimately just use their app to stream. I’ve wanted to try YouTube TV, but I don’t think it’s ever going to get to my market.

Long ago I used a WinTV card in my home computer to stream to my phone and remote computers (I think that was back in the RW Optimus S days). It worked pretty well (but crashed occasionally).

Netflix…

Have done some “free trials” of some others but it’s been a while. Starting to tire of Netflix though, so it might be time to start shopping around again.

I use Emby. I have a HDHomeRun CableCard network tuner so I can stream and record my Comcast cable.

I have tried a few streaming services like PS Vue and Philo. Don’t care for them.

U just can’t beat the convenience and power of your own DVR/Media Server setup.
I record DRM free local files of anything on TV that i can easy trim out commercials and keep(or share).

What didn’t you like about Philo? I am considering signing up for their service or SET TV which is $20 for 500 channels including HBO.

I really question the legality of Set TV. How do they provide that many channels for that price?

I’m not sure, their website looks legit though https://www.setvnow.com/

Agreed. Chances are slim to none that Set TV is legit. Their address appears to be a UPS Store. If you look up information on the managing members listed in the BBB information…well…I would steer clear.

https://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business-reviews/internet-service/settvnow-in-seminole-fl-90312218/reviews-and-complaints

:open_mouth: I have a friend who recommended them. Thanks for the info!

Philo. u get 48hrs free trial no payment info required…u just have to sign up with a phone number to get a text to…(i used my google voice number). Only works in Chrome or FF. Terrible design guide. the player GUI is terrible full screen fade effect when u hover over anywhere on the screen. The stream quality is good though.

Biggest thing i hate about Philo though, they force u to watch the all commercials, every time u want to seek the video before or after a com break. well…i guess u get what u pay for…$20 for 46 channels…gotta compromise somewhere. Though i do like how all of the current airing shows is automatically buffered in their online cloud so u always start at the beginning of the show. and can switch to live if u want…after the forced commercials of course.