Questions On Canadian Calling

RW describes it’s service this way:

“This means you can make outbound calls and texts to the 50 U.S. states and Canada under Republic’s plan.”

So if I’m in the US… travel to Canada… I can get a call from the US or make calls back to the US as part of my calling plan… ie NOT wifi calling?

Thanks!

Hi @robbs!

No, you will not have cellular service in Canada. However, you will still be able to call, text, and use data over WiFi. See the following help article: International Service – Republic Help .

You may be interested in the following Tips and Tricks article about traveling internationally: International Travel with a Republic Phone .

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for responding… but it’s now more confusing. I got my info from My Republic Service – Republic Help

" International service
Republic does not consider calls or texts to Canadian numbers to be international calling (including MMS for supported carriers). This means you can make outbound calls and texts to the 50 U.S. states and Canada under Republic’s plan."

So from the US I can call any Canadian number but I would not have cell service in Canada… and could only use Wifi to call back to US? So would someone in the US be able to make a call to me in Canada assuming I was connected to some Wifi network in Canada?

Hi @robbs!

I’m sorry that it made it more confusing! That was never the intention! Let’s see if I can clear this up for you.

That’s correct. You can, within the US, call and text Canadian numbers on both WiFi and cellular. However, when you go to Canada, you will no longer have access to cellular. Thus, you will have to use WiFi to make and receive calls as well as text and access the internet.

Absolutely! You would be able to both make and receive calls while you were on WiFi. You would also be able to text and access the internet while on WiFi.

Does that help?

Thanks! Now I fully understand.

Awesome! Enjoy your trip to Canada!

Key reference International Service – Republic Help … use the pull downs for full information, please post back anything that was missed by the RW author

Excerpts I pulled out that may be pertinent

[brackets around my comments]

International ” is defined as anything outside of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Johnston Atoll, Midway Atoll, and Wake Island [therefor Canada is International]

You cannot call “International” phone numbers, with the exception of Canada; you can call Canadian phone numbers

You cannot send SMS/MMS to “International” phone numbers, with the exception of Canada (you can send and receive from Canadian numbers while you and your phone are in the US)

[When in Canada] You can send and receive SMS/MMS to and from any “Non-International and Canadian phone numbers on WiFi only

[When in Canada] If you’re using a phone with one of our My Choice (4.0) plans, you can also use a local provider’s SIM card while traveling as long as their SIM card and service is compatible with your phone. Just make sure to keep your Republic service line active (meaning you keep making payments) so that when you come back, your service and phone number will still work

3 Likes
Message an
Expert customer