Questions on Phone Upgrade

I currently use the Moto G 1st Gen and am considering upgrading to the Moto G 4th Gen.

1. Will I be able to transfer my phone contacts from the 1st Gen to 4th Gen without having to manually add them all to the phonebook?

2. Will I be able to transfer pictures from the 1st Gen to 4th Gen?

3. I think I’ll also be able to transfer my current phone number, correct?

4. Has anyone else upgraded from 1st Gen to 4th Gen? I’m curious if the phone will be faster and will drop less calls? I’m assuming it will work better since the 1st Gen is so old.

Hi @mollyw.o4qhvh!

Yes, you will be able to transfer your contacts without having to manually add them. Google will automatically sync them when you log into your Google Account during setup. You should be able to view all your contacts here: https://contacts.google.com/preview/all

Yes, you will be able to transfer your photos. I would recommend backing them up to Google Photos via the Google Photos app (if you have not done so already). You will be able to re-download them from Google Photos later. If you currently use Google Photos, you should be able to view them here: Google Photos - All your photos organized and easy to find.

Yes! You will absolutely be able to transfer your number to the new G4. There will be an option to move your old number to this phone. Your old phone will then be deactivated. See this document for more information and a super-helpful guide: Activate My Phone .

I have not personally upgraded from a G1 to a G4. However, I am positive the G4 will be much, much faster! Also, regarding dropped calls, the G4 should perform better. In the meantime, could you explain exactly when the phone is dropping? Is it on Cell or WiFi?

I hope that helps!

mb2x

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is all very helpful!!

Dropped calls was an issue we (my husband who has a Moto E 1st Gen and I) were having on a regular basis several months ago. It’s gotten a lot better since but it still happens on occasion, almost always on cell. It usually happens in the same areas on my commute so I’m assuming it’s just where the cell signal is weak. Our phones have a hard time switching between cell and WiFi when it’s on a call or if we initiate a call when we’re leaving WiFi.

1 Like

Good evening @mollyw.o4qhvh!

Glad to hear it’s gotten better. Republic version 3.0 (which the Moto G4 runs on) can utilize Republic’s new GSM partner for better coverage! You can check Coverage Check | Republic Wireless and if it doesn’t give you any warnings about BYOD, it’s a good indication that you will be on GSM . This should improve the dropped calls. Hope that helps!

mb2x

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer