Random Wi-Fi disconnects, Moto G5+

Moderator’s note: This post was orginally posted in reply to:

Due to the content and the replies that follow, I’ve move it to its own topic so the original topic can stay on course while this topic gets the attention it deserves.

I don’t know if this helps thomas, I also have a Moto G5 Plus brought from RW; recently after a 17th of November 2017 security upgrade that was installed yesterday; I noticed that I have been experiencing the problem of the phone connecting and disconnecting from WiFi randomly.

I further tested this further by actually going into the settings data usage and turning it off and then resuming play from a google play music stream; now when the phone display showed the RW arc going from solid to hollow; I just waited until the buffer stream emptied; and low and behold the google play music stream shut off.

Next I further tested the phone by extending the display shut off time from one minute to the maximum amount of time which was thirty minutes; to see if it made any difference this time; the RW arc still goes hollow but it at least the google play music stream is not cut off this time.

I don’t know what the heck is going on behind the scenes; I am going to have to keep my data usage turned off until and unless I am going to somehow get this figured out.

I am also going to put in a RW trouble ticket also to get further guidance to hopefully get this problem hopefully resolved like yourself.

I also tried this to see if this might help the above described random disconnection of Wi-Fi problem experienced:

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables

2. Press and hold both the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons

3. When one sees the Start highlighted use the Volume Down button to scroll through the options to Recovery Mode and press the Power button to select it

4. When one sees the words No Command, press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up button

Note: The phone will reboot if you wait too long to perform this step

1. Then use the Volume Down button to scroll to Wipe cache partition and press the Power button to select it

2. Then use the Volume Down button to scroll to Yes and press the Power button to select it

3. When one sees Reboot system now highlighted press the Power button to select it

then:

1. Open Settings

2. Tap Backup & Reset

3. Tap Network Settings Reset

4. Tap Reset Settings

Note: If prompted, enter your PIN, password or pattern

1. Tap Reset Settings again when prompted

Additional Notes

Doing this will remove all network settings, including saved WiFi networks and Bluetooth connections.

After the reset has finished, the cell triangle in the top right corner of the screen will appear empty until your phone has restored the cellular credentials from our network partner.

What this did was allow the network settings to be reinitialized which helped to reset things back to a known network settings default.

Need help deciding which phone

Hi @erolsdaniel58,

Is your router using WEP as its security method?

No its set up for the vastly superior security protocol known as WPA2-PSK [AES];

also the Wep security encryption protocol is also particularly bad security wise and also one cannot even get better than typical 802.11g wireless router maximum data speeds of only 54Mbps rather than at least 802.11n wireless router maximum data speeds of about 450Mbps; 802.11ac wireless routers maximum data speeds top out on top performing routers at about 1,300Mbps if one is lucky enough to have Verizon Gigabit connection for example.

What is the make and model of your router? How many other networks are you seeing from your phone when you go into Settings-WiFi? Also, the Repubic arc is not an indication of WiFi connectivity, but the ability of the network being the best option for WiFi calling and texting. What does it say in Settings-WiFi under the network when you see the arc hollow?

Netgear Nighthawk R6700 that is right next to my bedside and is confirmed working WiFi signal on my notebook computer also by my bedside; it says its on cell data when it is not on Wifi due to the RW hollow arc.

I have a R6700 I think. Isn’t that the model that they sell at Costco (as apposed to the full R7000)?

Just to also double check and add a few more data points, are you running the stock firmware from Netgear vs a third party firmware such as DDWRT? Is the firmware up to date?

Who do you use as an ISP? What is your internet connection package? Fast speeds or slow speeds for example?

Have you double checked your wifi settings to make sure your wifi stays on during sleep? Also, I don’t remember which version of android it is in but there may also be a setting about avoiding bad wifi connections.

I got my Netgear Nighthawk R6700 from amazon because their was a slickdeals promotion coupon code sale; it turns out its also a very good wireless/ wired Gigabit router at least according to smallnetbuilder.com reviews and feedback I had been reading and collecting evaluation information for further review.

Yes I am running the Netgear wireless router firmware and it is less than a year old; also I am usually using the wireless Netgear Nighthawk wireless router along with my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with 8Gb Ram and 512Gb SSD notebook computer that is usually by my side at the same time and it is also less than a year old; and it shows that it is outputting an excellent signal on 2.4Ghz; so I know I have a good existing baseline reference WiFi signal strength to work without any corresponding random WiFi disconnect signs and symptoms being observed at all.

By running the WiFi network re-initialization protocols as described and outlined below; I believe that has allowed the WiFi Signal to reset and redetected at least in regards to the Motorola Moto G5 Plus phone is concerned; though their is now curiously two RW filled in arc icons on the phones display screen at the top; when there is a WiFi signal present but it seems for the time being that the WiFi random disconnect problem has gone away which is a very good thing indeed(hey if the original problem is actually fixed I am happy-though your actual user experience may vary-no guarantees of course).

1. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables

2. Press and hold both the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons

3. When one sees the Start highlighted use the Volume Down button to scroll through the options to Recovery Mode and press the Power button to select it

4. When one sees the words No Command, press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up button

Note: The phone will reboot if you wait too long to perform this step

1. Then use the Volume Down button to scroll to Wipe cache partition and press the Power button to select it

2. Then use the Volume Down button to scroll to Yes and press the Power button to select it

3. When one sees Reboot system now highlighted press the Power button to select it

then:

1. Open Settings

2. Tap Backup & Reset

3. Tap Network Settings Reset

4. Tap Reset Settings

Note: If prompted, enter your PIN, password or pattern

1. Tap Reset Settings again when prompted

Additional Notes

Doing this will remove all network settings, including saved WiFi networks and Bluetooth connections.

After the reset has finished, the cell triangle in the top right corner of the screen will appear empty until your phone has restored the cellular credentials from our network partner.

Thanks for the reply, however the steps you mentioned was recommended to me each time I opened a help ticket on RW and, no, it did not help. As I previously mentioned this never happened until I got my g5 plus. When signing up to RW I bought a Moto X (2nd. gen) and never had any issues. I recently received a new (another) g5 Plus from Motorola after a back and forth with them and it does the same thing. Just today I was away from my home using cell and as I came home the call dropped. After dropping the call I tried to call the person back and the phone continually said dialing ,but never connected. I switched to cell only and tried with the same results. Finally, I was able to dial and make the connection. I am going to contact Motorola once more and give them the results of the replacement phone they sent me. I don’t know what the problem is; whether it is the phone or RW. I have never had any issues with my router using other devices and that would not explain why my phone would not dial on cell only. I ‘do’ know I cannot continue using a phone/service if it is not reliable. RW is my sole phone provider, therefore, if I cannot depend on it then I must bite the bullet and pay more for another service and perhaps a different phone or both. I am technology challenged which makes it more difficult not to mention the frustration of dealing with this issue that no one seems to figure out.

Once again thanks for the help.

I believe I replied to the wrong post so I am re-posting it. Hope I get it right this time.

Thanks for the reply, however the steps you mentioned was recommended to me each time I opened a help ticket on RW and, no, it did not help. As I previously mentioned this never happened until I got my g5 plus. When signing up to RW I bought a Moto X (2nd. gen) and never had any issues. I recently received a new (another) g5 Plus from Motorola after a back and forth with them and it does the same thing. Just today I was away from my home using cell and as I came home the call dropped. After dropping the call I tried to call the person back and the phone continually said dialing ,but never connected. I switched to cell only and tried with the same results. Finally, I was able to dial and make the connection. I am going to contact Motorola once more and give them the results of the replacement phone they sent me. I don’t know what the problem is; whether it is the phone or RW. I have never had any issues with my router using other devices and that would not explain why my phone would not dial on cell only. I ‘do’ know I cannot continue using a phone/service if it is not reliable. RW is my sole phone provider, therefore, if I cannot depend on it then I must bite the bullet and pay more for another service and perhaps a different phone or both. I am technology challenged which makes it more difficult not to mention the frustration of dealing with this issue that no one seems to figure out.

Once again thanks for the help.

Let’s take a stab at this together

• Access the Manual … proceed to page 139 and ensure that SIP ALG is Disabled
  • Is your router set for a single SSID/network name for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? (Default they would be the same)
    • When it drops out of WiFi was it on 2.4 or 5 GHz Settings/Wi-Fi then tap the SSID/Network name and it will be under Frequency
  • Does your WiFi go away after a period of time …say at least 1 hour idle?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.