Ready for new phones ... maybe not Moto's?

This topic brings up something I have been meaning to ask for awhile. Both me and my wife have moto’s. Been with RW since near the beginning, I think. Have purchased a few new phones along the way. I have the G5S from a few years ago, and my wife has one a couple years older, RW no longer lists the phones you are using? It is time for her and maybe me to upgrade. We are moving our home to automated status, with things like Alexa, Ring, Insteon, etc. First want to make sure when we get new phones all will automatically be applied to new phones without many issues.
Which brings up some of the a fore mentioned issues plus a couple of my own. The moto’s from the start to now are real lugs when it comes to remembering or logging on wifi. Working in management in Vegas for some of the top hotels connectivity always works for others while out moto’s need to be restarted, connected manually, or will not detect at all, and no bars for over the air. Many times I will be with a group and everyone has connection one way or another except me. I can go to work six days a week, and three out of the six, it will not automatically connect to wifi.
Another issue for both me and my wife is the continuous live and robo calls. Sometimes non stop. We have the blocking activated. I manually block easily eight to ten calls per day, no fooling. From all over the country. Since I wear bluetooth hearing aids the calls to right to my ears continually.
If you look at either of these phones wrong, yes all kinds of screens pop up, down, sideways, and will not turn off resulting the phone getting hot in your pocket and you need to restart the phone, and this happens when I am holding the phone or trying to use them.
I love you people, and Southpaw, but I have complained about this in the past and just bared with it. Now there seems to be many companies wanting my business for the same price or a couple dollars more.
So here we go again sell me on why we need new moto’s or ?
Really, thanks Todd

3 Likes

I took the liberty of moving your question to a new Topic, this hopefully will get better feedback from other users

1 Like

Ok, thanks

I want to point out that this is an ongoing national issue that is effecting every phone carrier in the nation. Switching carriers will not effect much especially if you port your phone numbers.

A phone getting hot when not in use (and not in direct sunlight) is usually a sign of a dying battery. Which makes sense giving the age of the G5S series. The issue of the phone doing things you don’t tell you too sounds like the ghost touch issue that some older Motorola’s had, but I was not aware the G5S ever had this issue.

If those issues are not caused by a bad battery or age then there might be apps interfering with your use of the phone. Try looking at your battery statistics to see if any apps are using abnormal amounts of power. Or given it’s age it might benefit from a good Factory Reset.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. Not sure what “port a phone number” is? I know whenever possible I never give out home or cell number, always request an email.
If a factory reset is done, will that erase all of my many apps? Important because they control a few banks, security, and home automation functions.
What about wifi, or any connectivity being any better with a newer moto, or? Is it the phones or RW? In this day and age with a group and can log onto a meeting using the phone, well the other people I am with can log onto the meeting, me about 25% of the time. I can hear so so, I use hearing aids that are bluetooth so need to connect to my phone to get the conference to my ears. Most of the time I see where I need to connect to, but the phone for some reason or another cannot connect, and of course there are no bars for over the air. They look at me asking why I cannot connect, everybody else is connected!!!When we go to work our phones should automatically log onto the wifi? To be honest it actually does log on, on occasion.
What do you recommend a new moto or samsung or ?We do very little gaming, used mostly for calls, texts,checking emails, really exciting stuff. Thanks. Other phones better?

Something i noticed is that the 2.4ghz band on g5plus would conflict with Bluetooth. With Bluetooth on it was spotty and disconnect. When i would turn off Bluetooth it would be fine. I think i made a post here or with moto on this. I have to use 5ghz at home and turn off Bluetooth if i need to use 2.4. Motorola even replaced my phone to try and fix, it didnt. So i just did a test on my new Moto G power and it made no difference with Bluetooth off or on. 50mbps on both.

Thank you for the tip. With my hearing aids using blue tooth, it makes it hard to turn off on the phone. Taking or making real calls, texts, navigation, etc.

the community is acting up for me, not getting notifications etc. I didn’t see that 2nd post when I typed, sorry. You must have immense patience! I would have thrown the phone out a window if i were you!. Just get a phone somewhere that has a good return policy, RW has 30 days i believe, add it to your plan and give it a try.

Actually the Return policy at Republic is 14 days (same as most carriers), however, this was recently published Republic Wireless extends our phone return policy for the 2020 holiday season

Hi @toddl.67uhcl,

I’m not sure why you might have asked that? Are you not seeing your phones when you log into your account?

I don’t know how automatic it will all be, especially since I don’t use Alexa. You may have to sign into the apps that manage all these tools. I just activated a new Moto phone and allowed it to set up the new phone from my “nearby” phone and I was amazed at how many of my apps were already signed in, and how much of my non-cloud app data moved to the new phone. My WiFi networks were copied as well. I think each upgrade gets easier, but not every app works perfectly with this functionality. I believe that’s a matter of how the app is written, not a problem specific to an individual phone or phone brand.

I’ve never been to Vegas, but I don’t experience any trouble logging into saved networks on my Motorola phones. I wonder if you might tell us a little more about what’s going on there, if you’d like to troubleshoot.

Are you referring to the spam call blocking feature in the Republic app, or another blocking tool?
Have you asked our Help Team to see if they can make a routing change that might help with some of those calls?

If you don’t have a screen lock, try adding one.
If you have “swipe” as your screen lock, the phone is designed to quickly give you access to the apps that are presenting notifications on the lock screen. For me, this seems to result in the phone launching one of those apps every time I pick up the phone, because I inadvertently touch the notification icon. You can disable notifications on the lock screen, or move to a more secure lock screen method (password, PIN, pattern) to keep apps from launching from the notification.

If I’m understanding correctly, it sounds like you’re ready to upgrade but you’re just not loving Motorola phones, and therefore you’re considering leaving Republic. I want to be sure you’re aware that we support more than Motorola phones. We have several nice Samsung Galaxy A-series phones (on sale for $30 off through 12/17/20) in our online store, and we sell several of the Google Pixel models. We’re seeing a lot of our long-time Moto members move to the Pixel phones. We also support over 70 models of phones for BYOP, from brands including Moto, Samsung, Google, and a couple of other brands. You don’t have to buy another Motorola to continue with Republic Wireless. As @jben pointed out, we offer a 14-day money-back guarantee in case you buy a phone and don’t like it, and we’ve created a holiday extension to that policy to allow gifted phones to have a chance to be tried out before the return period ends.

2 Likes

The reason I mention wife’s phone not listed, as sometimes someone asks which phones do you have? The connectivity issue was also in Los Angeles, moved to Vegas nine years ago. So is it RW or the moto phones, both? Every time we have up graded over the years was told should be better, occasionally was better and mostly just the same.
We can try another brand of phone, but from what I see these other phones are mostly for people that play games,listen to music, etc., my wife uses it for text, mail. one game she likes to play, calling Thailind using Line. Quite simple, but she always shows me her phone, as an example, in restaurants she may have one or two bars and cannot find wifi, manually look at the list of possibilities and find an open one and then even though it is unlocked will not connect.
All the apps we have now are working good. But need connectivity to get any alerts or videos of our house, and rental properties.
I just get the feeling again that RW and the moto are not up to the tasks at hand.
Perhaps try one phone and see how it goes for my wife. She needs real simple, she does one or two games, video calls, texts, and emails. What do you recommend.
Thanks Todd

Hi @toddl.67uhcl,

I’m sorry my question wasn’t clear. My confusion wasn’t why you’d need to know what phone you have, but why you might mention that RW no longer lists them. We do still show the phone(s) each user has on each account. Sometimes when you buy a phone from someone other than Republic, it shows only as “Republic Supported Phone” but all the phones on the account are listed. If you tell us more about where you’re looking for your wife’s phone, maybe we can better understand why you aren’t seeing it listed. (But keep in mind, even if you’re seeing my replies and responding to them by e-mail, this conversation is taking place publicly in our online Community.)

There’s nothing Republic does to any phone that impacts whether or not that phone can connect to any particular WiFi network. The phone will not connect to a network it has never connected to before, without your action. Otherwise, it might connect to a bad network, where someone is trying to do bad things to your phone. When you’re in a restaurant and try to connect to a public network, you need to make sure that the network you are trying to connect to is meant to be publicly accessed. Sometimes they look like open networks, but they are equipment the business uses within their network (like printer servers) that don’t actually connect to the internet. Once you do connect to a valid network, you are often on a “captive portal” where you must agree to some terms of service or enter the restaurant-provided password to use their network to access the internet. This is the same on any phone from any provider. Newer phones do a better job of helping you get to the point where you interact with the captive portal than older phones did. Newer phones will prompt you with a notification, providing you haven’t disabled those notifications.

The kinds of things you’re describing are not complex tasks beyond the ability of our network. Many of our members use their phones to keep up with automated security alerts and other experiences similar to what you’re describing.

It is possible that your coverage could be impacting cellular connectivity. Video would require good cellular data coverage. Perhaps we need to look into that more fully.

I’d like to ask our Community to make a recommendation for you. I don’t think any of the phones we currently offer in our online store would have problems doing any of the things your wife wants a phone to do. I think the biggest problem for her at this point would be switching - the move from Motorola to Samsung, for example, can be confusing.

Let’s see if someone like @rolandh, who is very experienced with a variety of our phones, or any others who use similar services to those you’ve described, have any suggestions.

1 Like

I have just gone through the emotional process of letting go of my long-time trusty but in declining health Moto-X. After much reading of many reviews on the web, I decided to go with a mid-priced Google Pixel 4A. I could not be happier. Biggest bang for the buck and having high quality camera and supporting software was the clincher.

Regarding the nuisance calls, on the new phone there is an option to screen calls. Instead of answer, tap the screening button. You hear nothing but an outgoing message asks for the caller to identify. That comes in on the screen as text. At that point, the answer button will let you cut in and continue the conversation. Blocked calls are not even heard. Proper calls can be whitelisted as a Contact.

The “Hey Google” voice recognition is awesome. I asked “Hey Google, How far from Tipperary to Timbuktu.” The almost instantaneous answer came with a map for the drive (needing ferries). I asked “Who lives in Belvoir Castle”, and Google came right back with the correct answer, even though the name is correctly pronounced, and initially was recognized in responding text, as “Beaver.”

Compared to the Moto X, the audio can be cranked up much louder.

The larger screen is optimized to fill the face of the phone, and is clearer. Yet the size is not much more than the Moto X. I still use a horizontal belt pouch and find the new size is still unobtrusive while being worn. Even in the pouch, I can say “Hey Google what’s the time” and hear the answer from the phone.

Good battery capacity, and internal memory.

Fingerprint sensor, storing both left and right fingertips is pleasingly accurate and replaces most of the time on number keypad unlocking.

Using simple proximity transfer between the two phones moved most of the old capabilities, though some apps migrated had to be reinitialized. Just follow the onscreen prompts after first turning on the Pixel 4A.

Actually, I could be happier if I still had the Refund plan option because my usual monthly cell consumption in the past was about 0.1 Gb, and I hate paying for 0.9 Gb that I don’t need. WiFi carries most of my use at home and most places I go. Also sad to give up the Beta customer discount. Oh well. The new phone gives more to salve the wounds, and paying by the year reduces the gap between old and new monthly cost.

3 Likes

That shouldn’t be the case if you moved the phone number from your Moto X to the Pixel 4a:

2 Likes

For folks moving from a Moto X series phone, I concur, Google’s Pixels are an excellent choice. In the value space (Moto E series) or lower mid-range space (Moto G series), I think Motorola still offers good bang for one’s buck.

Call screening is a function of Google’s new Phone app, which is also used on newer Moto phones. Whether on a Moto or a Pixel, it is one more arrow in the quiver in dealing with spam calls…

Like you, I pay a bit more for using Republic’s My Choice plans. For me, access to an expanded choice of newer phones from a variety of manufacturers easily offsets that. The reality is if Republic had stuck with its old model, that choice would not exist.

This should not be the case. So long as you transferred your existing Republic number to the new phone, your 10% beta member discount would have carried over.

3 Likes

Hi @toddl.67uhcl,

I agree with @southpaw. I don’t see anything in your wife’s described use case that any new Republic compatible phone wouldn’t be able to handle. You mention being a Republic member since close to the beginning. I’d be curious to know which phones you and your wife have used with Republic over that time span?

In general terms, if one is a veteran Republic member accustomed to Moto X series phones, in my opinion, Google’s Pixels are a great choice. Newer models of Motorola’s Moto G series and Moto E series phones are significant upgrades over previous models in those series but don’t, in my opinion, provide as robust an experience if one is accustomed to the higher end Moto X series.

Samsung makes quality phones. The hardware, in my experience, is every bit as good as Google’s Pixels. The displays, in particular, are excellent. What’s different is the user interface. Samsung’s take on Android does take some getting used to for those coming from a Motorola phone. User interface wise, a Google Pixel would seem much more familiar. That’s not to say Google’s or Motorola’s approach is necessarily superior to Samsung’s. That’s a matter of personal preference. Samsung, after all, sells more Android phones (by orders or magnitude) than all other Android manufacturers (including Google and Motorola) combined.

Due to the pandemic; I’m not out and about as much these days, however, I’ve not noticed any real difference between Samsung, Google or Motorola phones when connecting to available WiFi. I would say I find newer versions of Android regardless of phone brand perform better when connecting to public WiFi.

I infrequently use Alexa and do not use Insteon devices. I do own and use a Ring video doorbell as my primary concession to the so-called Internet of Things (IoT). My experience with the Ring is there’s often a lag in viewing video when out and about whether connected to public WiFi or cell data. I’ve found this to be universal using Samsung, Google and Motorola phones (and also iPhones). In my opinion, Ring has some work to do.

A final word, for now, when comparing manufacturers of Republic compatible phones. If Android operating system updates and security updates are important to you, a Google Pixel is the clear choice. Google promises updates for three years on all Pixels. Samsung matches Google’s three year update promise on its high end S series and Note series phones but Google is much faster at making updates available. With the A series, it’s one major Android update and two years for security updates. Where it was once a leader in terms of software updates, Motorola has become something of a laggard. The budget E series gets no major Android updates and a years worth of security updates. The G series, like Samsung’s A series, gets one major Android update and two years worth of security updates.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your response. When you log into your account, it shows myself and my wife as users, still shows which phone I am using, but not my wife’s. We have been loyal for a long time, and we have always purchased phones from RW only. I believe our first phones were DEFY? Not sure. We have had moto’s always. Had this same connectivity issue when we lived in LA also.
Being in management would ask again when in a room for a meeting and everyone has connectivity and I don’t, maybe one bar, and manually trying to connect to wifi, and many times just will not complete?
Leading me to believe not just the phone but the carrier limited capabilities?
Do all carriers in Las Vegas use the same main carrier?
If our phones are not being updated that might be the issue?
So that means we need to purchase a new phone every year or two to get updates?
My wife is not high tech, I don’t want to spend the time to be high tech, at least not for a phone, we want to be able to connect, call, text, get mail, without having to wait or drive to a different area.
Thanks

1 Like

I too started with Motorola phones. My first smartphone was a Moto X (1). I loved that phone! I used it until it finally died. After that we tried a Moto E, then a couple of G models. They never were as good as the X. Finally, in frustration I bit the big one (for my wife) and bought her a Samsung Galaxy S9. She is VERY happy with it. A year or so later I bought me a Samsung Galaxy S10. It’s like night and day from the Moto phones. Yes, they cost more but it is worth every penny. With these phones we are now doing all that automation stuff, including opening and closing the garage door! How cool is that?
My recommendation is to get better phones. You won’t be sorry. Good luck!

2 Likes

The difference isn’t Samsung vs. Motorola, it’s mid-range vs. flagship. The S-Series of phones isn’t the equivalent of the Moto G series. You’d need to get yourself a Samsung J or maybe A series phone to do a fair comparison.

Motorola is widely considered one of the best mid-range phone makers / value deliverers at a given price point.

So, the moto G is superior to the Samsung S?

Thanks

Message an
Expert customer