Real voice or crappy voice?

As a 1.0 and 2.0 user, the difference between Republic wireless real voice/wifi bonding was lightyear better than hangouts, freedompop, textnow.com, text free voip. In short, voip over cell data socks, simply not worth paying for.

Reading your website, looks like 3.0 uses garbally, hit or miss voip over cellular. Pleaeeese, tell me this ain’t so.

Our Adaptive Coverage™Our Adaptive Coverage technology, with Bonded Calling, uses the best of all your phone’s networks (3G, 4G LTE, & WiFi) to actually catch dropped calls before they happen technology, with Bonded Calling, uses the best of all your phone’s networks (3G, 4G LTE, & WiFi) to actually catch dropped calls before they happen

3.0 still uses Cell Voice channel in most areas

there are some areas where a backbone carrier will use VoLTE to complete calls (basically where they don’t have 2G/3G coverage) (this is T-Mobile as Sprint does not yet have VoLTE calling)(as a note VoLTE is where the industry is pushing Voice over the next several years)

Bonded calling is a bit of both VOIP over 4G and VOIP over WiFi it basically send some VOIP traffic over the 3G/4G cell channel in parallel to the VOIP WiFi traffic

“bonding is wifi and 4g” why? Would not wifi beat 4g every time?

So, traditional circuits mostly. Hopefully, fast responsive voLTE to circuit, as likely crap. The silver lining is that according to Wikipedia VoLTE is smaller than standard voip over 4g. Maybe less garbled and hit or miss than hangouts, freedompop, or textfree calls.

Or maybe, another ten years will pass before voLTE matches today’s circuits. Much as it took 10 years for digital calling to match analog reliability and understandablity, if at all it has matched analog yet.

because some time Wii can be glitchy depending on backbone ISP or router setup

when bonded calling takes place Republic used the better data packet which can be from either source

The Next Generation of WiFi Calling: Bonded Calling

Adaptive Coverage

WiFi Calling with Republic Wireless | Republic Wireless

As a 1.0 and 2.0 user, the difference between Republic wireless real voice/wifi bonding was lightyear better than hangouts, freedompop, textnow.com, text free voip. In short, voip over cell data socks, simply not worth paying for.

**Reading your website, looks like 3.0 uses garbally, hit or miss voip over cellular. Pleaeeese, tell me this ain’t so. **

it ain’t so.

VoIP over CDMA 2G/3G is abysmal (freedompop, hangouts on sprint without LTE, etc).

over the top VoIP on LTE can be tolerable but is not generally better than circuit switched voice (freedompop, hangouts, etc on LTE)

VoLTE is different - VoLTE is the carrier’s own voice channel but instead of circuit switched voice it is packet switched. The voice quality is entirely up to the partner cell network just as it is/was for circuit switched voice (‘real’ voice). VoLTE has the capacity to be BETTER than circuit switched voice, but the benchmark is to be indistinguishably similar.

As @drm186 points out, VoLTE is used as a carrier voice service on GSM only for now (the CDMA network doesn’t support VoLTE yet). a small correction though: generally VoLTE is PREFERRED by the phone/network over 2G/3G circuit switched voice. so if you are in an area with strong 2G and 3G and 4G (LTE) the phone will very likely use VoLTE for voice rather than fall back to the older voice tech. Reasons for this include better call management (e.g. moving a packet switched call from one tower to another has fewer failure modes than a circuit switched call) as well as better end-user functionality (enables the fastest data connection to remain active while on the call, so your phone doesn’t have to tear down an LTE data connection, fire up a circuit switched voice session, then try to establish a 3G data connection just to keep google maps/etc running properly while chatting away on the phone)

Again, as @drm186 pointed out: VoLTE is the direction the industry is moving. at some point in the future all circuit switched (‘real’ voice) systems will go offline and ONLY VoLTE and its successors will remain. It is taking a while to accomplish (years of progress so far and still not all carriers even SUPPORT VoLTE, nevermind use it exclusively) but progress is being made all the time.

LTE is very frequently better than WiFi. My RW LT service is faster and with lower packet loss and lower latency than my verizon fios based wifi internet at home.

So, traditional circuits mostly. Hopefully, fast responsive voLTE to circuit, as likely crap.

not entirely sure what you mean to say here, but responsive VoLTE to circuit switched voice is handled entirely within the partner carrier’s network and that handoff is vastly different in nature than anything you could compare it to from freedompop, textnow, or hangouts. Those other systems (generally called Over The Top or OTT systems) lack the integration typically required for clean handoffs. Only RW, so far as i know, has found a way to make VoIP handoffs pleasant for the user. Google Fi, for example, still doesn’t have it right.

The silver lining is that according to Wikipedia VoLTE is smaller than standard voip over 4g. Maybe less garbled and hit or miss than hangouts, freedompop, or textfree calls.

the comparison between VoLTE and [hangouts, freedompop, textnow] is night and day. these are wholly different systems despite being packet based. dialup internet is also packet based, but comparing that to fios or cable internet just because those are packet based wouldn’t’ make any sense at all, right?

Or maybe, another ten years will pass before voLTE matches today’s circuits.

in my experience VoLTE has already suprassed circuit switched networks

Much as it took 10 years for digital calling to match analog reliability and understandablity, if at all it has matched analog yet.

yikes. i hear analog and i think of analog CELL PHONES… and sweet baby zeus those phones were HORRIBLE for call quality, network capacity, power use, etc.

analog landlines, well, i hate to say it but as those were phased out in 1988 i just can’t recall them well enough to pass any judgement here.

Just to add to what @bitflung writes about VoLTE I live in a forest of Band 12 towers where VoLTE is the only type of voice calls I can make. The voice quality is excellent. In this situation I don’t think bonded calling is a factor since there is no alternate voice channel.

Good information, bitflung. Good testament billg.

I would like to add, that before end of 2012, I had AT&T. Must have been voLTE. Could surf and talk, but didn’t miss that feature, which is needed occasionally. Though need is a strong word, since you can always hangup, lookup, call back. . More importantly, AT&T regularly had dropped calls, something my clients with AT&T would also complain. . I wonder if the plague of dropped calls is something due to some implementation of voLTE. Could be 2012 phones too. . Does t-mobile drop calls? More curious, since incoming ringing, dead ones, voice roaming, service cost, is more important than dropped calls or data speeds.

Ironically, as data speeds increase in America, the device productivity will go down. Sure, Patrick Henry is often quoted, “Give me 2g or give me death.” But, I doubt if he imagined the decay of America, caused by youtube, Facebook, Instagram, selfies, and Javascript.

It’s been a while since my carrier was Sprint. When I was I experienced a number of dropped calls when switching from Home to Roam. I have yet to experience a dropped call with T-Mobile but I haven’t made many calls while on the road or when walking into a building.

I would like to add, that before end of 2012, I had AT&T. Must have been voLTE. Could surf and talk, but didn’t miss that feature, which is needed occasionally.

that would not have been VoLTE. AT&T first launched early VoLTE service (explicitly between AT&T users and only when both were VoLTE capable) in Nov 2014.

simultaneous data+voice is a core requirement for “3G cellular services” and has been part of all GSM networks branded with 3G (not sure when AT&T launched “3G” but the first general availability of 3G on GSM was in 1999, so quite a long time ago now). the CDMA carriers never fully adopted the 3G spec, I still personally take issue with them using the term “3G” at all since there is simply no such thing as a 3G CDMA network. alas marketing destroys technical terms for a living and so the same issue applies to 4G today (by the full definition we still don’t have a true 4G network in this country yet, but we do have the building blocks in place that will one day become proper 4G… by then it will probably be marketed as 5G or 6G though…)

Though need is a strong word, since you can always hangup, lookup, call back. .

you can also pull over, buy a map and highlighter, and then get back on the road… or sell the car and hire a taxi… i argue that the service differential is huge between the two. especially when using something like waze or google maps while on a handsfree call… for example getting live traffic updates and having the route be automatically altered to avoid traffic from a newly reported accident on the highway all while getting verbal directions from someone on the phone… that can be a big deal. for my work i sometimes use take conference calls while a passenger on long drives and simultaneous data+voice allows me to see the presentation while being part of a non-VoIP voice conference call despite being on the road. with one type of network these features work quite dependably, with the other type of network these features are entirely non-existent.

More importantly, AT&T regularly had dropped calls, something my clients with AT&T would also complain. . I wonder if the plague of dropped calls is something due to some implementation of voLTE. Could be 2012 phones too. .

as mentioned above, you weren’t on VoLTE back then. VoLTE will drop less often than circuit switched 2G or 3G calls on GSM - handovers between towers have fewer failure modes on VoLTE than on those older systems. CDMA voice drops less often than GSM’s 2G or 3G voice though (specifically due to having fewer failure modes, just as VoLTE does). AT&T went through a period of time where they had very high rates of dropped calls though, not necessarily due to the technology used but rather over burdened towers (they didn’t deploy enough infrastructure to handle the call volume and handing off from one tower to the next isn’t possible if every voice timeslot is already being used by the next tower(s) you are trying to use).

Does t-mobile drop calls?

all networks drop calls. sprint, verizon, at&t, tmobile. do you mean to ask if tmobile drops calls at a rate similar to at&t back in the 2010-2012 period of time? no, i dobn’t think any network is dropping calls at that rate today.

More curious, since incoming ringing, dead ones, voice roaming, service cost, is more important than dropped calls or data speeds.

not entirely sure what you mean by this

Ironically, as data speeds increase in America, the device productivity will go down. Sure, Patrick Henry is often quoted, “Give me 2g or give me death.” But, I doubt if he imagined the decay of America, caused by youtube, Facebook, Instagram, selfies, and Javascript.

what?

a joke, right? paraphrase of give me liberty or give me death? 2G is the most basic data service over cellular, can’t imagine ANYONE clamoring for that today (was barely usable when it was new on the market too).

i’m not entirely convinced that ‘productivity’ as a whole is truly declining as a RESULT of cellular data speeds increasing. most of my time-wasting isn’t done on mobile, and what i use mobile data for is generally to be more productive. i’m just one datapoint but i doubt i’m alone. yes, i’m sure there are burger flippers at mcdonalds churning out “food” more slowly because they have to instagram each patty on its way out, but there are also engineers completing designs, IT admins fixing server issues, and other more tech related workers being far MORE productive as a direct result of being always connected. hell, if i had to wait for windows to boot up just to check my work email i simply wouldn’t respond to any work emails outside of the office. ever. as it is today i triage work emails nearly in real time from my phone even outside of work hours - responding to critical issues holding up folks in other timezones (still in work hours) so that THEY are more productive also as a result of cellular data.

After posting, further reading did point out that AT&T wasn’t using VoLTE. . Yet, you bring up a huge issue of capacity limit. Probably, Sprint, as last place in subscribers, has most free capacity. T-mobile is, like adding 4 million users a year. Looking at registered for towers at cell reception dot com, in my area to suburbs, sprint and Verizon have 20 towers each, AT&T has 40, T-mobile has 10 towers. The numbers seem odd that Verizon has so few. Maybe spectrum. Sprint lacks some key low bands. T-mobile bought some 700, not sure if all rolled out. 600 is up for another auction round. Anyway, has AT&T solved the capacity issue?

You addressed all but my biggest concern, roaming. I am reading articles in the past about numerous Sprint roaming agreements with scads of small cell companies and Verizon. Howardforums.com claims t-mobile has very few roaming agreements with att. Missed calls is my biggest fear when roaming. .

I will post 3 cell reception maps links after this post. One is opensignal.com via browser, one is the fcc registered tower map, and one is an open signal map. As I stated before, roof boosters should sckew open map.

For you and I, we can stay focused. Though, I had to set rules up: post it note, so to speak, research, for the weekend: check email once a day. Though forum answer mining is harder as some replies derail, fail to fully answer, or show me a weakness of clarity in my first post. Each time, dragging you back to the writer’s tablet. Pecking on a cell, is the worst. My issue is getting my wife, teen, kids to sticky use the technology for knowledge and productivity. I cannot take my teens, or wife’s cell phone away. I tried to block social media, but they Googled and got around it. No… The teen Googled it, while wife threatened divorce. Anyway, never let a kid buy their own device.

http://m.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?filter_att=1&filter_verizon=1&city=akron&state_abr=oh

https://opensignal.com/networks/usa/verizon-coverage

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/US/5145476.Akron/85.T-Mobile/signal/

There are so many answers and discussions with many well put points. However, here is something simple:

Republic Wireless still uses the same technology. Wifi calls <-> Wifi Cell Bonded calls <-> Cell Voice calls with Republic’s handovers.

Message an
Expert customer