Receiving calls with no one on the line -- what's up?

Several times a day I get calls from a variety of numbers I do not recognize (some local, some not) in which I answer and there is no one there. The call is dropped shortly after I answer. This has been going on for a long time. I’ve always chalked these up to some kind of spam, but I’m beginning to wonder if it might be a technical issue? The phone number is a work line, so it’s possible I would be receiving calls where I don’t recognize the number. I have not yet tried returning any of the calls because of my earlier suspicions, but I’m thinking I should, just to check.

Hi @johng.6r5jad,

I suspect your intuition these are spam calls is accurate. Spammers use automated dialers that call hundreds if not thousands of numbers at once. Only when their call is answered is it transferred to a human. Typically, due to the volume many more of their calls are answered than they have available humans on their end to connect. The result is precisely the experience you describe.

Depending upon which phone you use with Republic, you might find some relief here:

2 Likes

Those are spam calls. They are using automatic dialers. If you pick up, then it shows whoever is trying to scam you that there is actually a person attached to your number. If it is someone important on the other line, remember, they’ll leave a message/text you/call you back. The less of these calls you pick up, the better.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer