Recommended GSM card for travel to Europe?


Hi, my son will be traveling to Europe in a couple of weeks. I went to Amazon to search for GSM cards, and saw several different ones. Is there a particular GSM card that works best with Republic?




Hi @mariab.ivkjis,

No GSM SIM will provide cellular service via Republic when in Europe (or anywhere else outside the U.S.) Use of one’s Republic service outside the U.S. is limited to WiFi. Some general information regarding traveling internationally with a Republic phone is here: International Travel with a Republic Phone. That said, it would help us better help you and your son if we knew the brand, model and generation of his Republic phone?


Thanks for your reply, rolandh. He has a moto g6. I 'm obviously confused about this. I thought the GSM card would allow him to make international calls when not on wifi. I need to make sure he can contact us even if not on wifi. What is recommended for that?


Good Morning @mariab.ivkjis

You’re most welcome!

And, thank you for the additional context!

I’m afraid not. Republic suggests moving one’s provisioned service from CDMA to GSM to avoid an unfortunate situation where one’s phone goes into an endless loop attempting to activate on a non-existent CDMA network when traveling outside the U.S. A Republic GSM SIM prevents this phenomenon but still provides coverage outside the U.S. on WiFi only.

The first step is to determine whether your son’s G6 is provisioned for GSM or CDMA coverage currently. Republic’s guidance for making that determination is here: How to Tell If a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA – Republic Help. If your son’s G6 is already provisioned for GSM, nothing more to worry about as far as GSM vs. CDMA is concerned. If your son’s G6 is provisioned for CDMA, please let us know and we’ll provide more insight.

In part, the answer to this question depends on where in Europe your son will be traveling? Generally, you’ll need to acquire a SIM that works with cellular networks where he’s traveling. Using that SIM in place of his Republic SIM would give him access to cellular networks when away from WiFi.

Here’s where things get a bit complex, so please bear with me. When using an alternate SIM, your son won’t be able to access his Republic service. He will have a different telephone number provided by that SIM. That number will be from the country whose cellular network he wishes to connect to. You won’t be able to call him at that number (presuming your phone is also with Republic) as Republic phones can call or text message only U.S. and Canadian numbers. He would be able to call or text message you in an urgent situation. He would also still be able to access his Republic service while connected to WiFi but would need to swap his Republic SIM back into his G6 to do so. If you were to call or text message his Republic number while he was using the alternate SIM, he would receive your voicemail and/or text message if he connected his phone to WiFi and swapped back in his Republic SIM.

What I’ve described above is the least expensive means of accessing cellular service outside the U.S. If all that sounds like more hassle than you or your son would prefer to deal with, I have another suggestion. Google’s Project Fi (an alternative to Republic) offers international service. Project Fi also accepts the Moto G6. Your son would move his service and number (temporarily we hope) from Republic to Project Fi for the period of time he’d be outside the U.S. He’d then move his service and number back from Project Fi to Republic upon his return home. Both Republic and Project Fi are prepaid no-contract services, so moving service from one to the other may be done as needed to fit his itinerary.


Thank you! This was very helpful.



When I was in Malta(Mediterranean) we were able to phone the USA while using wireless. We could also text with no problem or wireless. Malta was very wired, maybe the same exists where your son will be.


This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.