Record your voicemail greeting in the Republic app

Here’s how to record your greeting where you can see how much time remains as you speak, which makes recording the longest greeting possible easier. This method also gives a higher quality recording than the method where you call into the voicemail system.

1. Start the Republic app - tap Republic app small from the app drawer.
  2. Tap the Settings icon small at the top right
  3. Tap Voicemail settings
  4. Tap Voicemail greeting
  5. Tap the RW app greeting record button small in the center to start recording.
  6. Tap the RW app greeting stop button small in the center when finished speaking.
  7. Tap the RW app greeting playback button small in the center to hear what you recorded.
  8. Tap Yes to save what you spoke for the greeting, or No to re-record.

What happens if the recording on the RW app does not transfer to the dial? It has not and this is close to several efforts. Same results on the phone dial. I have a MotoE4 and all directions say to tap on the square with the dots and the E4 does not have a square with dots, it has a tiny up arrow that took me a while to see. There seems to be a difference in the set up process on the Motorola E4 than the directions I have been given.

@jeffm.g9pn8o
I’m unsure of what “transfer to the dial” means and where you’re told to look for a “square with dots”. Can you reference the documentation that’s talking about a “square with dots” please?

When I do all that on the RW app I think that is correct and properly done.( The ‘square and dot’ in the RW app for voicemail and password.) After making the recording I click the yes box and then it says to power off the phone which I do and then power back on. When I check on voice mail to see if there is a message I push and hold 1 and I get instructions to record my voice and password.

To me, what is missing is an indication of why things went wrong ie a trouble shooting. Or an immediate indication that something was left out (like putting in a wrong pass word and a red warning says error message. The error message needs to be something a five year old can get)

Whatever I may be doing wrong, I am doing it wrong on a consistent level. I get the same results and see no indication of what is not done right.

This is normal when you don’t have any new voicemail, and does not indicate that your greeting was not saved. Have you tried leaving yourself voicemail from another phone and then see what calling voicemail does? I’ll be glad to leave you a voicemail message if you don’t have another phone from which to try it.

jeffm.g9pn8o,

I too thought my greeting hadn’t been recorded several times when accessing my VM.

As southpaw said this is a normal limitation of some (most?) VM systems.

As you noticed the RW app is smart enough to recognize you’ve already recorded a greeting.

The VM systems when dialer accessed aren’t intelligent enough to say “to change or create your greeting press…”

Southpaw,

Just a FYI if not already aware of the different systems’ limitations. The VM system for another carrier one of my phones is using is smart enough to let me know there’s a current greeting prior to recording over it. Observation, not a complaint or a suggestion for change. There’s already an app (RW) to make our VM easy to use.

It seems there would be less confusion if it would simply say, “You have no new messages.”

Excellent point. Please suggest that it’s changed. Thanks.

I wasn’t trying to call out RW’s system as confusing. My other provider’s VM system does tell me there are no new messages so there’s less potential chance for confusion.

Thank you for your reply SPaw. To me the system is confusing in that there is no indication that the password and greeting were successfully installed. I get the note that I have to power off the phone to activate the voice mail and I go back to the dial and push the voice mail and hold and the message to make a greeting etc comes on so I conclude that the effort made on the
RW app was unsuccessful. I have seen on a previous screen that says I have no voice mails and that is fine. I have received a test voice mail and put in my pass and I get the message and after the message is deleted, the message for creating a greeting/pass comes back. Is this the way Moto E4 works? ( In that my pass only works if there is a message to listen to and then reverts the message to set the greeting after the message is deleted?). In past phones I put in my pass and was notified that there was or was not a message when dialed from the dial but if ME4 is different I would like to know. Pleas let me know if this is how this model works- a test message from you would be great. A txt message that you would be calling would warn me not to answer the phone. Thanks.
A suggestion is a video of setting voice mail on each kind of phone you sell. I mean a complete video that mentions the peculiarities of the particular brand. I

Hi @jeffm.g9pn8o,

I’ve just gone through the process of updating the voicemail and the PIN on a Moto E4. I was not prompted to reboot the phone.

After each, I saw confirmation that they had been saved.

Editing to add, it sounds like you were able to test it, I’d need to understand what further we’re testing before I left you a message.

You are probably to young to know that ‘dial’ is from the time that phones had round dials, so you dialed the number you were calling. That is where ‘transfer to the dial’ came from (I have been on earth before black and white TV!) What I mean by transfer to the dial, means that when I put in the message and the pass on the RW app, I am thinking that when I go to the #1 (at the phone) and hold it for voice mail, I should have the message that I either have mail or there is no mail. Well, that does not happen when I am on phone page. I still get the message to update my pass word and greeting. As I mentioned before I had a test voice mail sent to me and the phone did register a voice mail message. I then pressed the #1 and as would be normal, the message to put in my pass came on and I did that and I got the message. I deleted the message and pressed the #1 again to see if it would say there are no voice mails (as I have had on previous phones) and instead of that, I got the message to update my pass and greeting and nothing more than than dead air. I am wondering if there is a box to click on the RW app that I do not see or if this is just the way that ME4 works. As long as my voice mail works and I put in my pass and get the message, ok. If the message to update the greet and the pass should only come up once, then I do not see what I am missing. I have followed to the letter and have set up enuf VM and…
I have not had this model of phone before and it is different from the Moto G’s I had with RW before and the LG I have with Cricket. By the “square with the dots” thing, I think this was the phrase RW used when helping me to find what I call the library where all the other apps are. The E4 does not have a square with dots, it has a very small arrow at the bottom below the front icons and I did not see it until I looked close and there it was!
I hope this elucidates my questions a bit more. In brief, is it the usual with this phone to get the message to set up greeting when there are no messages and to be able to put in the pass when there are?
Has anyone noticed that when the VM message is starting it is low in volume and when the speaker button is touched it takes two or three words before the word volume come out of the speakers?Kind regards,JM

Virus-free. www.avast.com |

@jeffm.g9pn8o
I’m unsure of what “transfer to the dial” means and where you’re told to look for a “square with dots”. Can you reference the documentation that’s talking about a “square with dots” please?Visit Topic or reply to this email to post a public response in our Community.To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

jeffm.g9pn8o,

It’s the way RW’s and other provider’s VM systems work. Phone brand or model makes no difference when accessing the VM by dial. You are hearing an option not a command. It may not be the most well placed option or the world’s best VM system. It might make more sense to you if 1st option announced was to change password press 1. At that point you’d likely end the call and never hear options to record. You are expected to trust the system enough to assume your greeting is still there.

The system expects you to remember you already recorded a greeting. When announcing an option to record or create a greeting the system expects you to ignore the option to change/record over the one you have.

Tip: Keep one saved VM to avoid hearing record options #1 & #2 as often. Test from another line, leave a message, save message, dial in to check VM, you should no longer hear record options unless in advanced options.

Thanks. I was wondering if I would have to have a saved message in the voicemail. I did not understand how this worked. If I had known that,it would ha ve saved a lot of time for all of us. This is the reason I suggested a more in-depth video or other information. Or in the directions sent, I think it a good idea to tell the person about the saved voicemail idea or that the system will always say “new password etc”. Once again, thanks for the help.JM

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM, williamo.vkbg0snotifications@forums.republicwireless.com wrote: jeffm.g9pn8o:

To me the system is confusing in that there is no indication that the password and greeting were successfully installed.

I have received a test voice mail and put in my pass and I get the message and after the message is deleted, the message for creating a greeting/pass comes back. Is this the way Moto E4 works?

jeffm.g9pn8o,

It’s the way RW’s and other provider’s VM systems work. Phone brand or model makes no difference when accessing Rw’s VM by dial. You are hearing an option not a command. It may not be the most well placed option or the world’s best VM system. It might make more sense if 1st option announced was to change password press 1. At that point you’d likely end the call and never hear options to record. You are expected to trust the system enough to assume your greeting is still there.

The system expects you to remember you already recorded a greeting. When hear an option to record or create a greeting the system expects you to ignore the option to record over the one you already have.

Tip: Keep one saved VM to avoid hearing option #1 as often.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to post a public response in our Community.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

jeffm.g9pn8o,

You’re welcome.

I was unaware the the specifics myself until reading your questions. It took me a bit of time to understand your concern and then a lot more of it to come up with a solution that might fit your needs. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to put my thinking cap on.

We get more questions from members asking how to access VM or easily delete their multitude of save messages.

Thanks for your reply. I just replied to later message before I saw this one so you can read that if yu like. Thanks