Recover SMS messages from inactive Moto G (1st gen)?

I am hoping to recover a few SMS messages (June 2017) from a now inactive Moto G (1st gen) phone, with broken screen.

In August 2017, I purchased a new Moto E (4th gen) and activated it. (Both phones and accounts were Republic Wireless).

I am trying to retrieve half dozen or so SMS messages for a legal matter.
For unrelated reasons, I am no longer using Republic Wireless at all and the phone number is with another provider.

Am I out of luck? Are SMS messages stored on someone’s servers, besides NSA? :slight_smile:

Thanks for any thoughts.

the SMS are/were stored on your phone
do you still have phone? , is the phone screen totally dead ? or can you still see the the screen and just the touch screen not working ? (we can work a way to get those off the phone assuming it hasn’t been factory reset)

do you need content or just that fact that you where texting good enough ? if so the call/text log on the account portal goes back 18 months (if you account is dead a Republic support ticket should be able to give you those)

Hi @jimr.ilyu2c,

From Do I Lose My Text Messages After Canceling Service? – Republic Help,

If you need a copy of your text messages for legal reasons and they are no longer on your phone then please refer to our Law Enforcement Guide for information on how to submit a subpoena

Thanks drm186 and southpaw - here are answers

–phone? yes, I have it
–factory reset? no
–touch screen? believe it shows assorted colors, no images. I think it only screen that is broken.
–texting? would like content and messages, not just metadata (time, to whom, from whom)
–account portal call/text log? got it, but hoping for actual content

– subpoena? Good to know, hope might be easier way. This would be for a small claims matter that I might bring. Messages, all one day, show sequence of events and who is saying/doing what.

I don’t need the messages at this moment. But would like to know procedure, other than subpeona, if even possible.
Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.