Registering RW number at Twitter

In order to turn on two-step authentication at Twitter, I need to register a cell phone with my Twitter account. When I enter my RW number at Twitter, it says “There was an error sending a text to that phone number. Please try again.” There was also another earlier message along the lines of “carrier not supported.” I suspect this has something to do with Sprint number to RW number mapping that I used to understand but have forgotten about. Do I need to enter my “Sprint number” instead? Where do I find that?

2 Likes

I found my “other” number. Twitter accepts that number as valid but so far I haven’t received a text message from them. I tried twice, once with WiFi on and once with WiFi off & cell data on. Is there some other solution?

you may need to deal with Twitter and have them accept that Republic numbers can receive text even though they are classified as a VOIP (Wire-line/Land-line)

the using the underlying carrier number hack doesn’t work with 3.0 phones and for members using Republic Anywhere beta app as texting is converted to IP base and the underlying number will no longer pass though text

Thanks for explaining what’s going on. I believe Twitter was happy with my number before I got my new Moto G5 Plus and transferred my old number there.

The suggestion that I personally should deal with Twitter I find a little bit strange, in that it’s a problem with all Republic numbers, or at least all numbers with 3.0 phones & Republic Anywere beta. It seems to me Republic should deal with Twitter. Maybe I’ll open a trouble ticket.

Maybe this is why Republic Anywhere is a “beta app”?

1 Like

it more of a caveat of a hybrid VOIP/Cell

on legacy phones not using anywhere beta when Republic could not find a phone on WiFi they would forward to the Cell network via the underlying number (and that why the number could received text was Republic needed to do the same

On 3.0 (and with Republic anywhere) the text are all IP based (ie sent over data either WiFi or Cell) and there no longer a need for Republic to allow any text to the underlying number (this solves a issue many have with their underlying number receiving spam text with no way to opt out)

as to why others may not send text to Republic is that they are under the old mindset that landlines can not sent text or Short Codes this is no longer true but their service need updating and not republic and republic has no real say in their service

1 Like

The suggestion that I personally should deal with Twitter I find a little bit strange, in that it’s a problem with all Republic numbers, or at least all numbers with 3.0 phones & Republic Anywere beta. It seems to me Republic should deal with Twitter.

Hi @michaelc.be7bx3 ,

One or our Community Experts has submitted your concern through a channel available to them that allows them to work directly with our support technicians, and I’ll follow up on Monday with those technicians to make sure they are aware that Twitter is not sending to RW numbers. That Expert and I both duplicated your findings on 3.0 and 2.0 phones. We also were able to verify a workaround - if you have a Google account, you can use a Google Voice number to receive messages from Twitter.

We will to try to work with Twitter to determine why they will send to GV VoIP numbers but will not send to RW numbers. However, an additional chorus of requests to Twitter from individuals in need of this functionality can only help.

Yes, that’s mind-boggling, that they send to GV but not RW. I’m glad I’m retired!

Message an
Expert customer