Remote Forwarding Landline Number

Hi @amyb9,

Thanks for continuing to work with the Help Team. They’ll be following up with you again in your ticket, (or may have beaten me to it) but I wanted to let you know I chatted with our manager of online support and have learned something I did not know, and we can test this some… I’m going to try to do some testing this weekend, and I’m sure @rolandh will be curious enough to give it a try too.

What I’ve been told is that a call originating on a RW phone (your G6) can only be forwarded once.
So when you call your G3, that call is then forwarded to your landline, and then (unless you’re using a physical answering machine) if you don’t answer your landline, the call is again forwarded to the landline’s voicemail system. I’m being told calls on a RW phone can’t be forwarded twice.

That would mean your clients (if they aren’t calling from RW phones) can reach your voicemail, even when your G6 can’t remotely access it.
(This is one of the ways Talk America was different.)

There are some things that aren’t quite making sense to me here, so I think we still have some exploring to do. For example, when you call from your G6 and you get a busy signal, is there a delay first, or even a ring or two before that busy signal starts? Or is it an immediate busy signal?

Is your landline voicemail a physical answering machine in your house, or a service of your landline provider?

When you are away from home and trying to check your voicemail, have you done anything to your phone to make it go straight to voicemail - like taking the home phone off the hook - or is it in a normal state where it would need to ring first, for your houseplants to hear, before going to voicemail?

1 Like

So, it seems I’m sharing @amyb9’s experience. I still have an old Moto E2 on Republic’s grandfathered $5 WiFi only plan. This morning I set up voicemail forwarding on it to a household VoIP “landline” Immediately after setup with the E2 powered down, calls made from both multiple Republic and multiple non-Republic phones forwarded to the VoIP “landline” worked as expected.

Roughly 4 hours later, I made a second round of test calls. And, calls made from multiple Republic phones forwarded to a busy signal. Calls made from multiple non-Republic phones forwarded to the VoIP "landline as one would expect. No difference in behavior was noticed in Republic phones reaching a busy signal whether on WiFi or cell.

Interestingly, a Google Voice call routed via a Republic phone forwarded as expected (same as a non-Republic phone). Calls made using CallWithUs and Localphone (two services I generally use for international calling) did not forward as expected. CallWithUs produced one ring then dropped the call. Localphone resulted in endless ringback but no ring on the VoIP “landline”. Theoretically, neither CallWithUs or Localphone should be impacted as they use data (WiFi or cell) to route calls as opposed to Google Voice, which I have set up to route calls over Republic’s network.

I’m uncertain what all this means generally, however, for Amy, apparently it would mean calls made by her customers forwarded via her G3 would reach her Comcast “landline”, so long as they’re not originating on a Republic phone.

1 Like

Hi @rolandh,

Do you mind if I create a ticket on your behalf to attach it to the master ticket that is being investigated based on @amyb9’s experience? It always helps to have some additional examples on a master ticket.

Not at all. Please feel free to do so and let me know if I might further help.

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer