Repairing a charger port on X Pure

Anyone have suggestions for repairing the charger port on my 1.5 year old X Pure? It won’t charge unless I hold the cord at just the right angle, and even then it’s spotty. Been happening for several weeks now but the effect is getting more pronounced.
Same effect with multiple cords so I’m quite sure it is the port having issues.

Figures that today I finally get an update notification for Nougat, too. :-/

Ideas?

0 Likes

I’ve heard good things about these folks: https://www.cellphonerepair.com/

Also, Motorola may offer to “repair” your phone for you at a reasonable fee. In reality, they will swap your phone for another device. You can reach them here: https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/chat

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, louisdi. Any others? Moto wants $125 to fix/replace it. That seems a little excessive to me but then again I’ve never had to have this type of repair done?

0 Likes

Given the current value of the phone, that does seem spendy. Have you looked at CPR? They specifically list “Charging Port Repair/Replacement” on their Moto X Pure page: https://www.cellphonerepair.com/smartphones/moto-x-pure-repair/

1 Like

I’ve always used Motorola for repairs. I haven’t had an issue with them, and the cost is as reasonable as anywhere else I’ve tried.

0 Likes

I did a google search for “cell phone repair Fargo” and this was returned. Try it for towns near you:

If you bring it to a local repair center bring this with you:

0 Likes

In all likelihood as @louisdi pointed out Motorola is asking $125 to replace the phone with an equivalent refurb. It’s really a bench charge and standard operating procedure in electronics.

0 Likes

Hi @nathanh,

Just to rule out a far less costly option - have you tried different chargers? My daughter described the same “have to hold it at just the right angle” problem on her phone a while back and it turned out to be the charger cord that was faulty.

2 Likes

@nathanh, I agree with @southpaw. I have had the same issue with my MXP and a quality charging cable, I like Anker products, fixed it right up.

2 Likes

The closest CPR shop is an hour away. :frowning: I did try a different charger and a different cable - same results either way. :frowning:

0 Likes

Have a similar problem. My short-term low-cost fix has been using a strategically placed rubber band to keep the a firm connection.

1 Like

By different charger cable do you mean new? The cables have little springs on them that lose their tension.

2 Likes

I’m thinking @coreyk is giving you an excellent suggestion. One of my granddaughters who messaged with her X incessantly while it was plugged in ruined several cables. After a while the spring tension lessens… She got a new, high quality cable and quit messaging while it is plugged in.

2 Likes

I tried an older charger and cable. The thing is, the old charger and cable still works just fine with my Moto X first gen. But I will try buying a new charger first I guess. Thanks everyone. I’ll update if that fixes the problem.

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with these. The shorter the better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01222EN0Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

@billg is that cable similar to the turbocharge that came with the XPure?

0 Likes

I don’t know. It does work with the turbocharger that came with my S7.

1 Like

This is in the writeup of that Amazon ad.
Transfer data at speeds of up to 480Mbps through wide data and power cables *Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Capable

0 Likes

Moto turbocharger that came with my X Pure has the permanently attached charging cable and suggested cables would not work with it.

0 Likes

It’s true Motorola’s supplied turbocharger is a hard-wired wall charger. On the other hand a MicroUSB charging cable paired with something like this

would work quite nicely with an X Pure.

2 Likes

Message an
Expert customer