Replacing Charging port on Moto E4

What phone do you have? Moto E4

What plan are you on? 1GB Data

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Data

The device has stopped charging well and if you held the charging port just right it would charge. The charger has been replaced and it still won’t charge. It appears that there is green corrosion in the phone charging port. I cleaned it out with a soft cloth and compressed air. Still no go. I am thinking of replacing the charging port with a step by step guide on iFixit.com. The part appears to be in amazon but I can’t get the phone to turn on to get a model number. Should I take it in to get repaired by a professional?

Spencer

Hi @spencerjt,

Welcome to our Member Community!

The Moto E4 sold and supported by Republic Wireless has a model number of XT1768.

You may find that for not much more than the repair price a professional will quote you, you can buy a new phone with a nice, shiny 1-year warranty.

In the meantime, do you have Republic Anywhere installed on a computer or tablet so you can keep up with text messages while your phone is inoperable?

3 Likes

The Moto E4 Model number Southpaw provided is obviously correct, but I wanted you to be aware that all E4’s have the same hardware so the model actually doesn’t matter when looking at something like the charging port.

The cost woudl exceed the value of the phone. The E4 was a cheap budget model when new. You can get a new E6 or G7 Play for around $100 now.

To get the phone running to get data off of it, you might be able to find a generic external battery charger for the Moto E4 on ebay or Amazon and pop out the battery and charge it that way.
(my folks used to have external battery chargers for their older Samsung phones that had removable batts. they are a rare thing these days)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer