Replacing existing Republic phone with a BYOP

how do I change my existing Republic phone number to a new BYOP

Hi @michaelg.9kyd40 and welcome back to the Member Community. Assume you mean you want to transfer your number from your existing RW phone to a new BYOP.

If you would share the make and model of the phone you currently have with RW that you plan to replace with a BYOP we can give more specific help.

If the old phone that you’re replacing is not a legacy phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1 or X2) you might be able to use the existing SIM. Here’s how to tell if a Phone Is Active on GSM or CDMA.

Here’s a Tips & Tricks that has some useful information about Moving a Current Republic SIM When Upgrading to a New Compatible Phone

How to Activate a BYOP with an Already Active GSM SIM Card

How to Replace a CDMA 3.0 Phone with a BYOP Phone

Please come back with any questions you might have.


My current phone is a moto x4 which is a BYOP and has a CDMA SIM which I think I got from Republic. My new BYOP is a Pixel 4a model GO25J. My wife recently purchased a Republic Samsung A515ui and it came with a GSM SIM card. Since she gets a much better cell signal in our neighborhood, I presume I should be ordering a GSM SIM card from Republic for the Pixel.

Your logic regarding a GSM SIM seems sound. There are maps with theoretical coverage based on zIp code, but the actual demonstrated coverage of your wife’s phone says a lot. There can be some differences between phones, but if there’s enough difference to see it in operation then I’d start with a GSM SIM. You can always request a CDMA SIM later.

The good news - you can get the GSM SIM from RW or Amazon. If you have an Amazon Prime account you can get free shipping.

Here’s a help center article for How to Activate a Cell Phone or SIM Card. There is a specific section for activating a new phone while keeping your same phone number and same service.

Please come back if you have other questions.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer