Replacing phone. Sim card + phone number?

My Moto X was crushed, so I’m looking at buying the Moto G7, but I can’t seem to find any information about a few things.

Will the new phone come with a new sim card? I’m assuming it will, but I don’t see this mentioned anywhere.

Will the new phone automatically have my current phone number? If not, is there a way to use my current number on the new phone?

Thanks.

Hi James, Welcome to the community.

All phones sold by Republic come with the needed SIM card

It will not (the phone comes unactivated with no number on it). You make the selection in the Republic App during the activation of the new phone to move your number.

You should also be aware that the Moto G7 may use a different cellular partner than your previous phone and you should verify that there’s coverage by using the coverage checker at Nationwide Cell Phone Coverage – Republic Wireless and then using the “Shop Phones” button there after adding your cell phone number.

2 Likes

I’m already on Republic. Using that coverage checker it says ‘we got you covered’ for my zip, and shows the same phones after ‘shop phones’.

Are you saying that different Republic phones have different coverage areas?

Not areas per se but Republic does have multiple options for some phones. Depending upon phone and location, Republic provisions phones with one of two network partners. One partner operates a GSM network and is T-Mobile. The other partner operates a CDMA network and is Sprint.

For now, Republic is only able to provision cellular coverage on any of the G7 series with its GSM partner T-Mobile. Depending on its generation, your Moto X may be provisioned with Sprint.

The best way for us to help you be certain the available coverage for the G7 series will be a good fit for your area would be to have a general idea of your location. To that end, if you’re comfortable sharing, might we know your zip code (nothing more)?

1. Alternatively, as suggested by @louisdi, please start here: Nationwide Cell Phone Coverage – Republic Wireless
  2. Enter your zip code, then click >
  3. Click Shop Phones >
  4. Are the G7 series phones listed as not being optimal for your area?
  5. If not, proceed with confidence.
2 Likes

My zip is 44060.

I’m not sure where it would say ‘not being optimal’, unless it is under the coverage checker on the specific phone page? It just says ‘we got you covered’ in that area.

If it said that, which it doesn’t in this case, it would be on the page of phones produced after step 3 in the numbered steps in my previous post.

That and the partner’s (T-Mobile’s) map I’m looking at suggest coverage for the G7 series will be quite good in your area.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer