Republic advertising on Breitbart News

I recently visited the Breitbart News page out of curiosity where I was dismayed to find Republic Wireless advertising. This masthead has published articles under the titles of: “Bill Kristol: Republican Spoiler, Renegade Jew,” “Hoist It High And Proud: The Confederate Flag Proclaims A Glorious Heritage” and “There’s No Hiring Bias Against Women In Tech, They Just Suck At Interviews.” Kellogg & Allstate (among others) blacklisted the site so that their ads don’t appear on it. I think Republic ought to do the same as presumably race-baiting doesn’t accord with the company’s values.

Moderator’s note: Links removed.

2 Likes

Hi @michaelb.yf3jwv,

The Republic Wireless ads you see on websites you visit are placed there based on cookies in your browser by ad remarketing services, we don’t pay to indivually place ads on websites like the one you’ve described.

If you’ve recently visited the Republic Wireless site, you’ll see Republic Wireless ads served to any website that embeds one of these advertising services. (I’m currently seeing Kohls ads everywhere I go because I viewed one pair of shoes at Kohls that Mr. Southpaw wants for Christmas.)

Here’s an explanation: https://southernweb.com/2013/03/how-do-some-banner-ads-follow-me/

2 Likes

Sure, I understand you don’t contract directly with a website and that banners run on cookies. Does Republic’s ad program have the capacity to specifically blacklist a site?

@michaelb.yf3jwv ,

Sure, I understand you don’t contract directly with a website and that banners run on cookies. Does Republic’s ad program have the capacity to specifically blacklist a site?

I’ll try to find that out for you in the next few days.

I’ve removed the links in your original post because we would not want to show up in search engines linking to such articles.

2 Likes

michaelb.yf3jwv wrote:

Does Republic’s ad program have the capacity to specifically blacklist a site?

And if not, will they withdraw completely from the program? I’d hope so, but I won’t hold my breath.

I’m disappointed and dismayed, but not surprised. If that’s where my money is going, it’s time to start spending it elsewhere.

As Breitbart wages “war” on Kellogg’s, advertisers flee - CBS News

Hi @michaelb.yf3jwv ,

Sorry for the delay in following up, I came here to respond once I had the details for you yesterday, then got distracted by an urgent need and failed to come back last night.

We reached out to the company that provides that service for us and they do offer a blacklisting option. We have blacklisted Breitbart News. Due to the way the ads are placed, it could take a while before you stop seeing them for that website entirely.

We certainly appreciate your bringing this to our attention.

2 Likes

Hold on cowboy.

Let’s review ad networks and cookies one more time.

YOU see the RW ad on site XYZ because you browse RW. (just like me*)

NO ONE ELSE sees RW ads on site XYZ. Get it? They see ads for the sites they visit - e.g. Amazon, et al.

*[This ad choice system is basically useless. I don’t need RW ads because I am an RW customer.]

2 Likes

Please take me off the updates on this subject. If there is no freedom of speech then I don’t want to be part of this discussion. Should change you company name to Democrat Wireless.

4 Likes

This is pathetic. You have stopped advertising on their website just because someone can’t handle other people’s opinions. This is the definition of bigotry. Even if what the website says is controversial, you shouldn’t blacklist.

4 Likes

to remove yourself from updates to this thread go to the top of the pay and click actions under the magnifying glass icon then un-check the following box

@southpaw@rw Dec 2, 2016 1:53 PM

We reached out to the company that provides that service for us and they do offer a blacklisting option. We have blacklisted Breitbart News. Due to the way the ads are placed, it could take a while before you stop seeing them for that website entirely.

Thanks for looking into this.

2 Likes

Thanks RW. This isn’t a Republican/Democrat issue; it’s a values issue.

2 Likes

Hi @nancyr.fxxb2a ,

I see that @drm186 has shown you how to unfollow the thread. It’s not a setting I can adjust for you.

We are in no way limiting any other entity from speaking their mind on their own website, and we are glad to live in a country that allows them the right to freely say what they want to say.

However, we do not have to agree with them. We are simply exercising the option of not giving the appearance of standing behind what they have chosen to say.

2 Likes

I looked it up, that is not the definition of bigotry in the dictionaries I consulted.

3 Likes

Thank you, Republic Wireless, for doing the right thing. Hopefully, going forward, your Marketing team will be more mindful of where the Republic logo will appear, and will more thoroughly investigate all programs before signing up, so as to avoid another such embarrassment.

Hi @johnd.uic75l ,

We have never specifically advertised on their website, and our blacklist does not in any way limit their opportunity to say what they believe, nor would we wish to do so.

2 Likes

This whole thread is unfortunate.

• I strongly disapprove of Breitbart’s going after Kellogg for discontinuing advertising on their site
  • I dislike what I know of Breitbart News
  • I have never visited the site, unlike the OP
  • **Breitbart’s **readers should be able to see ads for Republic Wireless too
  • I don’t like Republic blocking ads from appearing on Breitbart’s site and by blacklisting them we sink to their level in behaving as they have in blackballing Kellogg
  • I don’t believe in censoring content that I disagree with, I choose to ignore it instead
    I think that’s it.

And before I’m accused of it, I did NOT vote for Donald Trump and I dislike that Mr. Breitbart will be part of the Trump administration.

4 Likes

What you’re asking is nearly impossible. I’m responsible for online advertising for a company I work with. When you place a Google Ad, you place it in the network. Here’s how you control: “Display ads allow you to create highly targeted campaigns based on what you know about your customers, such as interests or demographics.”

What you don’t do is control the specific websites. You CAN blacklist sites, but building a comprehensive blacklists out of “millions of websites, news pages, blogs, and Google websites like Gmail and YouTube, the Google Display Network reaches 90% of Internet users worldwide.”

It would be impossible to create a comprehensive blacklist of all the sites that might carry objectionable content of some type.

All from: Google Display Ads & Display Advertising | Google AdWords – Google

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer