Republic Anywhere 2.0.50

texting

Hi All,

Don’t know how many of you have been updated to the newest version of Anywhere (or How many of you are even using it anymore).
I experienced an issue today where I can’t configure notifications sounds except in device settings.
For some contacts I disable sound, but leave vibrate on (I accomplished this through Anywhere) However, since this update I can’t specify any of that anymore. I mean I can within the app as always have, but it doesn’t do anything.

Hope to fix this otherwise I’ll switch to stock Messages app.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Ben

0 Likes

Only default notification sound after update

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn,

The new version was released to solve an issue where the Play Store removed Anywhere.

The developers have just released 2.0.52 to resolve some issues they were seeing. Please see if updating to that version clears up the experience you are describing.

1 Like

Just tried it. I confirmed that I am running 2.0.52 now, but my configuration still doesn’t work.
Rebooted my phone just to confirm that wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn,

I tested Anywhere 2.0.52 on a Moto G5S+ from our lab and those settings worked as intended. Just to be sure we’re in the same place, these are the steps I took:

Open Anywhere
Tap to select a conversation
Tap the Menu :dots: icon
Tap People & Options
Change the notification tone to “none”
Set vibrate to “on”

I tried various combinations that differed from the Android Settings > Sound > Notifications device settings and they all worked.

Which phone and Android version are you using?

1 Like

I have the same issue. In the Anywhere app, I had a different Sound configured than the device settings-notification sounds. But since the new Anywhere app update, the App sound is not used, only the device settings-notification sounds.

My wife has the same phone, android version with the same problem.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
Android Version: 8.0.0

0 Likes

Hi @kirkc.6gyh49 and @benjaminf.haklmn,

Thanks, I’ve been able to replicate what you’re experiencing. The trick to being able to replicate the issue seemed to be having the settings prior to upgrading. If I upgrade then try setting these settings, I don’t have any trouble with them.

I’m opening a Master Ticket on the matter and will ask you to open a ticket once I have a master ticket number for you to reference.

2 Likes

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn and @kirkc.6gyh49,

If you would, please open a ticket describing the issue with the unique notification rules being ignored in Anywhere since updating to 2.0, and ask that it be investigated as part of master ticket 1630129.

(Pinging @Ambassadors for situational awareness.)

2 Likes

Thanks @southpaw! Always can depend on you to be there for us!

I’ll get on that!
–Ben

3 Likes

My wife and I are seeing the same problem with the anywhere app only playing the default notification sound, no matter what you change the setting to in the app settings. We have Samsung S8 phones.

I’m guessing it’s a result of the update yesterday to Anywhere App version 2.0.52?

2 Likes

Only default notification sound after update

Republic is aware of the issue with notifications that was created with the update.

2 Likes

Hi @bryanh.jln7lh,

I’ve moved your post into a topic about the issue with Anywhere notifications, just so we can keep the conversation focused in a single place. I’ll update you here once I hear whether this is going to be something our developers can fix.

Welcome to our Community!

2 Likes

I opened a ticket last night, and currently in process of replying to it. The answer I got I’m going to share with the community, you (@southpaw) and I’d like the @Ambassadors to see it as well, because it really confuses and concerns me greatly.

I suppose I’ll ask the main question. Is Republic Anywhere Dead? As in is it no longer being developed?

According to the tech on my ticket, Republic Anywhere is no longer supported. However, there has been zero announcements or notifications that we are using an “Unsupported” app. I mean the Republic Anywhere site is still up. Wouldn’t that have been taken down if the project was dead?!
This is very very disconcerting to me. I know I haven’t been a super active member on here, I just don’t have the time, but I speak the praises of Republic to everyone I can. I love the company but the way things have fallen silent when it comes to Labs/Beta programs, future development of the service/company, etc., makes me sad and concerned.

If any of you could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Below is my Ticket response (I hope I’m not breaking any community guidelines for posting it, I’m sorry if I am)

Sincerely,
Ben

Good Evening Benjamin,

Thank you for writing in to inform us of multiple issues you’ve been experiencing with your Republic Anywhere application. While we are certainly more than willing to help you with Republic Anywhere - Please keep in mind that we recommend using Android Messages as we’ve noticed more and more complications with Republic Anywhere as the time since we stopped supporting it grows longer.

Please try out Android Messages to see if you receive further complications. I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for your reply so we’re able to assist you the moment that you write in. If you do have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us at any time, we enjoy being here for you, that’s why we do this.

1 Like

You may want to take a look at this thread: Official Republic Anywhere Feature Request Thread .

0 Likes

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn,

I think the confusion (and it’s somewhat internal, too) lies in how people understand the word “support”.

Republic Anywhere continues to be available for use on our service.

Our developers are no longer developing the app, though. Because of recent and coming changes in messaging and the availability of secondary device messaging with other apps by companies that have greater resources than we do, our development is now focused elsewhere.

For the most part, we will not be troubleshooting bugs or adding new features.

However, the app remains popular among its users and we haven’t yet withdrawn it as an app that is compatible with our service.

A week or so ago, Google removed Anywhere from the Play Store due to some policy changes on app permissions. There was discussion in the office as to whether we would need to stop supporting Anywhere. Instead, we were able to update the app to meet the new requirements. That update has resulted in some quirks, like the one you reported. Our developers are looking at the bugs that were caused by the update, the changes required by the Play Store, and weighing them against the development time and resources available. If these new bugs can be fixed, they will be.

Thanks for your questions and interest in the app. I’m a big fan of Anywhere, myself, and it’s been hard to watch the development drop off.

8 Likes

Thank you for that write-up and I think it should be posted somewhere other than here. I suppose a better word is that it is being maintained to keep running at this point, but not developed. I am saddened by this.

I really loved Anywhere and all it could do! If I happened to leave my phone behind somewhere I still had access to texting without even being near it! It was quite amazing, still is. Though I will venture to say that it will surely end at some point because how long will it all keep working before something major breaks that will take more resources to fix than you’re willing to put into it.
It makes me think I should make the switch to Messages now before the inevitable happens. I don’t know it’s an odd feeling I’m having right now.

It was SOO cool when it went into Beta, and I got to be apart of it. I should’ve known something was about to happen when the Beta program ended. I’ll forever cherish my Anywhere T-Shirt!

Thank you for the clarification, I do appreciate it, but I’m also saddened by it.

6 Likes

Hi @benjaminf.haklmn,

Our developers have solved the notifications and are targeting this afternoon or possibly tomorrow to release the update.

In the spirit of your previous Beta participation, we’d like to see if you’d like to test the fix early? If you’d like to sideload the update now, I’ll DM you with the details.

3 Likes

Si, Hai, Yes! I’d totally write more ways to say yes, but those are the only languages I know! lol

1 Like

Thanks, @benjaminf.haklmn, I’ve DM’d you!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll post feedback as soon as I can spend some time with it. Probably will be late tonight.

1 Like

Republic Anywhere version 2.0.57 has been released to the Play Store, though it may take a while before it is available to everyone.

We’ll still look forward to hearing from @benjaminf.haklmn and any others who were affected by this bug.

1 Like

Message an
Expert customer