Republic Anywhere Install hangs on PC

Moto-x Gen1
My plan is WiFi and Cell Talk and Text
I don’t have data except with WiFi

I cannot seem to be able to install Republic Anywhere on my laptop running Windows 8.1. The install program starts but hangs about halfway through (the progress bar shows about half in the taskbar). There are no error messages, no indication of what to do.

Does anyone have a solution?

according to the following, Windows 8.1 is no longer supported
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018

but you can still upgrade to windows 10 for free, unless there is some reason that you can’t or wont

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1 Like

You can try this:

Go to System Tray and confirm that Anywhere isn’t running. If it is right click on it and Exit
In Task Manager kill all processes for Anywhere
Restart the computer
Try to install it again.

Let’s us know if this works or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.

I couldn’t find anything in the system tray or taskbar that would indicate that Anywhere was running.

When I went to the task manager I say that several processes were running. As I attempted to end those tasks, some would end, some would not. Instead a login screen was displayed, apparently this is why the installation was hanging. It was waiting for my login but the login screen wasn’t displayed. I entered my login info, chose the phone number that I wanted to access. It was able to show my past messages. I am in the process of testing whether I can send and receive texts.

While typing this message, I received a reply to my text. It appears to be functioning.

While the program now appears to be installed and functioning, I don’t know what was wrong with the install program, that it did not display the login screen.

Thanks for your help.

~ Tom

3 Likes

Thank you for getting back with your results. I’ve noticed at times the login screen can be a little slow in appearing. I’m glad it’s working now.

2 Likes

The install program hung in the middle for hours, waiting for the login.

Anywhere is set to load as Windows is started. Hopefully, login won’t be necessary.

Certainly, I have progress, thank you again for your help, but it is too soon to tell if my troubles with it are over.

~ Tom

1 Like

@TheDoctor,
You may be one of those fruity computer users. If you take the time to delve deeper you will find WIN 7 & 8.1 are alive, doing well, still supported and receiving updates.

Windows 8.1 and 7

Prior releases of the Windows operating system are governed by the Fixed Lifecycle Policy. This policy comprises two phases: mainstream support and extended support. See Microsoft Fixed Policy Details for more details.

Client operating systems End of mainstream support End of extended support
Windows 7, service pack 1* January 13, 2015 January 14, 2020
Windows 8.1 January 9, 2018 January 10, 2023
* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to continue to receive support and updates.

Prior versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm. For more information, see the Microsoft Lifecycle FAQ. A device may not be able to run prior versions of Windows if the device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) support period.

Windows 8.1 and 7: questions and answers

Show all

What is the difference between mainstream support and extended support?

What should I do when the version of Windows I’m using reaches its end-of-support date?

Where can I learn more about updates and service packs?

:flight_departure:

1 Like

I beg your pardon

i bid you good day sir

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer