Republic Anywhere recommendations

rw_anywhere

I am fully aware that Republic Anywhere is still in its early stages.So far it’s been working great for me, and I am aware that developing apps and software takes a long time, so I will be patient, and I’m grateful to those who have worked hard to make the app possible. But here’s just a few things I’d love to see in the future.

1. I would love to be able to customize the look of the app…both for the computer app and the phone app, such as adding a background, a color theme, message bubble themes, etc. Also, on Android Messages, you can change the color of the contact you are texting, whereas in this app (on the phone), you can’t. So I would love to see more customization options.
  2. An easier way to delete (or archive) messages. I know there’s a way to do that now, but it takes a long time. I would love to be able to select multiple threads at once to delete (or archive) them, or something along those lines. I actually really like that you archive instead of delete them in case you need them later.
  3. More security. I would love a feature that lets you lock the app, and locks it when you haven’t used it for a disclosed amount of time. Setting a pin/password that you can quickly type to unlock it would be the easiest in my opinion instead of putting in the email and password associated with the account.
  4. The ability to call people. I don’t know how feasible that is, but that would be an awesome feature. I know that Republic Anywhere is connected to your account and not your phone, so that makes it more challenging. But if it’s possible, that would be cool.
    EDIT 5: (last one). I would love for there to be a web version of the app so I can log on anywhere and use it. I’ve used other apps that have that feature (airdroid, mighty text) and it was really nice to be able to connect anywhere.

If any of you other customer people have recommendations, I would love to see other ideas too! It will also put a bug in Republic’s ear on what to add and what to change.

Again, the app is great so far, and I’m excited to see future improvements. Kudos to those who have made this app possible and to those who are constantly troubleshooting for an app that’s just taken its first steps.

Republic Anywhere questions
Search Function in Anywhere
Initial Republic Anywhere Feedback
Copy via right click
Search Function in Anywhere

The only thing so far the REALLY bothers me is that the message type box on PC- the actual space where your replies get typed- is very small, and can’t be resized. So you only end up being able to see a line and a half of text, which is not helpful. It really would be a nice change to be able to resize it, since PCs use tons of different font sizes, monitor sizes, resolutions, etc…

Otherwise, I really do like the app, and I agree with what was said in OP.

Hi @jennab.u1mf3x,

I think you’ll be happy to know that everything on your list has been suggested by others participating in the beta. If I’m not mistaken all of them are under active consideration if not already on the roadmap. :slight_smile:

It’s great you and others are now able to add your voice. I’m confident Republic is listening to the feedback.

It appears that there is no Text Search in Anywhere. I think Anywhere is a great new tool but it’s genuinely confusing to me why anyone would develop a texting app that does not allow to text search within it.

Is a search utility forthcoming?? It’s a pretty basic function of a texting app.

Can we get right click copy function?

Interesting. I didn’t realize it isn’t there. I say report it in via the RW anywhere issue as a feature request and in the mean time, you should still be able to copy and paste via the system hot keys such as Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V on windows.

@jennab.u1mf3x Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions. This is exactly what we were hoping we’d get. We are going to pull together the suggestions and share some of our plans going forward. Look for that some time next week.

I apologize for the short responses, but I did want to at least respond to your requests:

1. Customizing colors is something we’ve discussed and like the idea. No timeline on it right now.
  2. Deleting threads and messages is in our plans.
    2b. Selecting multiple threads at once is a great idea. I’ll share with the team.
  3. You can currently log out any time you want and the desktop app will no longer show your messages.
  4. Calling is definitely coming. It’s one of the core features of Anywhere.
  5. There are other platforms we’ll be supporting in the future, and a web-based version is one of those.

Web App

RW Anywhere is awesome, and it just is so practical for me because I’ve been typing for around 17 years (over half my life. :open_mouth:). Anyways, if one makes/receives a group chat, and that person clicks on the people list, can you make it so that when they click on a person in that list that they can start a chat with that individual?

That’s a really good suggestion, thanks!

My biggest disappointment is that i can no longer see a recent text on my lock screen (moto x first gen). I could read a text without waking up the phone.

You’re welcome. I see that now with the new update for Republic Anywhere, I can click on the individual people, and a screen comes up that allows me to either click an icon to call the person (which I haven’t tried yet), or I can click an icon to text message the person. I have clicked the message icon, and I get an error that says, “Could not start conversation.” It doesn’t allow me to get to the text message screen for that individual so that I can actually text them. I am using the Ascend 5W.

I’m sure that this is just a kink that will be fixed in time.

Anyways, thanks again for Republic Anywhere!

I’m not sure if this is happening only to me or to everyone using the app, but it logs me out every time I navigate away from the app, I would like an option to stay signed in. I also miss a feature in my previous messaging app that kept the pictures of the people I text most frequently in a ribbon at the top of my app screen - so I didn’t have to go into my contacts each time I text my husband. The app is working fine on my phone but my laptop is having major issues with it . It won’t load most of the time. I uninstalled and reinstalled but am still having the same issue. I can’t use it on my PC at all right now.

I’m having the same issue as Peggy. I continually need to log back in on my Windows 10 device.

Republic anywhere is nice, but really a chrome extension would have been more appropriate:

1. Many if not most people work mostly in their browsers nowadays
  2. Browser apps sync across computers - add it once and any new computer gets it automatically where a desktop app I have to go out and install
  3. Cross platform
  4. Auto-login
    (Try MightyText or PushBullet to see what I mean on most of these things)

To be clear I’m not complaining about the desktop app, I just think it is a misuse of resources considering all the advantages of a chrome plugin.

agreed.

web apps!

I can’t install apps at work.

While I have absolutely no objection to a web app, there are advantages to native apps as well and a native app is my personal preference. I expect in time, Republic Anywhere will indeed be accessible from a web browser in addition to native apps.

A Chrome extension won’t satisfy all either. Not everyone uses Chrome as their web browser of choice.

Hi @jhelton1233,

I would definitely miss that feature, too! You can turn that on, here’s how:

Open the Moto app.
Tap the discreet settings gear in the top, right corner.
Tap “Display”
(“Moto display” should already be checked.)
Tap "Select apps."
Check the box by Anywhere.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. We’re working on a more effective means of collecting feature requests, and a first step will be a dedicated, official thread we can monitor closely. I’ve copied the feature request posts from this thread into the official one, and am locking this one to help focus the participation there.