Republic GSM coverage

I picked up the new Moto Z play last year and have been using it for almost a month. I was very concerned moving to the new “3.0” plan as it appears to be T-mo coverage. My experience has been positive to date but my testing limited. I have found equal or better coverage than my Wife’s Moto X gen 1 phone (Sprint, VZW). Over the holidays we traveled to rural western PA and back around upstate NY and have not experienced any coverage issues. Most times I show strong signal with LTE.

What have been others experience with Republic GSM coverage?

2 Likes

The greater Boston area is flush with LTE coverage…so it’s been a good move for me to 3.0. I still have two phones on

the Refund plan and they work well for the purpose they serve. But for higher data rates, newer phones and flexibility to use local SIM cards on international travel, 3.0 is definitely the way to go!

2 Likes

so most of the comments at the bottom of this thread Republic posted today regarding plans for 2017 talk about GSM coverage issues. The Moto Z play does not even support CDMA so I assume that adding Sprint would be a moot point for me. I hope my coverage “luck” continues as I stated above “so far so good” I wonder what phones all these folks have and if it is very phone dependent in terms of which bands / channels the phone supports?

2 Likes

I have a Nexus 6P on RW 3.0 and T-Mobile/GSM and my wife has a Moto-X (2nd Gen) on RW 2.0 and Sprint/CDMA. In our rural area of NE Oregon and our travels in about a 300 mile range (including Portland, Or), my wife’s CDMA phone generally has better LTE coverage than my GSM phone. And when I run speed tests, with full bars of LTE showing on both phones, her CDMA phone is usually faster than the GSM phone. While GSM is working for me, I will switch to CDMA if/when RW offers that as a BYOP option (not holding my breath for that though).

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer