Republic phone drops phone calls

Does VPN service impact my telephone calls? I use ExpressVPN because it is very fast.

I am dropped while using my phone from home on the IP network. Comcast is my IP network provider. I am trying to identify why I am being repeatedly dropped and have to call my client back… Have 2 bars on my S7 phone which I brought to Republic.

I did receive an alert this morning that my battery usage was high on the S7 because of the mode which the phone was in. Had 28 alerts in the last 7 days according to the app. The app asked that I switch to conserve energy mode which I accepted.

0 Likes

Yes a VPN can decrease the quality of a WiFi call. If it adds more latency and hops to the audio path then the call quality will suffer.

0 Likes

Additionally most power/energy saving done by the phones do so by cutting back functions (and this can include WiFi)

See http://thedroidguy.com/2016/03/samsung-galaxy-s7-power-saving-modes-extend-battery-life-1056552 for complete details

0 Likes

My phone call quality is fine - no echos and minor delays. The annoyance is outright dropping of my phone call which necessitates my initiating a second call. Dropping a call only occurs when I am using wi-fi. It happens every day but, not all calls.

0 Likes

Hi @gener.brfzzj ,

Just to make sure we are on the same page, when you say the phone drops the call, do you mean that you lose the audio and no one can hear each other?

Or do you mean the call actually drops and gets disconnected and ends returning the phone to the home screen?

Er…, just for context, I hit the issue I, describing but you may be seeing something different

0 Likes

My phone call quality is fine - no echos and minor delays. The annoyance is outright dropping of my phone call which necessitates my initiating a second call. Dropping a call only occurs when I am using wi-fi. It happens every day but, not all calls.

We look at anything that affects the audio stream as quality. If it happens while on a call it is call quality. VPN can cause dropped calls.

0 Likes

closed #7
0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer