Republic Phone Numbers Landlines? and can I refund my prepay?

At wits end, I have to find an alternative. I need CDMA and have an A50. My phone went haywire after an Android update and Republic finally, after a mile thread, said it is because the A50 is suddenly not compatible with its CDMA SIM. Until a fix is found (will it really be?) I have to use a GSM, which renders me terrible service in my fire service district, and the phone is nothing but trouble because of so many other issues from whatever happened. I don’t have the time or interest to troubleshoot online every day with Republic, so need to move on where I can see real people. However, Cricket is saying that I can’t take my and my family’s phone numbers to them because the FCC somehow assigns Republic landline phone numbers, not cell. Is this true, and if so, where might I be able to transfer the number to other than discount carriers with just this online customer service? Also, given my circumstance, which is basically a phone that is nothing but trouble and full time job trying to troubleshoot it, is there a way of getting my prepay refunded, prorated of course for what I have used of it? I don’t feel I should have to buy a new phone to solve a Repub/Samsung bug, just to land up with potentially other problems.

Good Morning @josephp.clq1xx and welcome to the Community!

The issue with Samsung’s Galaxy A50 and Republic’s CDMA SIM has been fixed with an update to Republic’s mobile app. Presuming you’ve updated Republic’s mobile app to version 3.30.0.82, your Galaxy A50 and Republic’s CDMA SIM will once again get along just fine. Do you still have your CDMA SIM?

It’s true Republic numbers are classified as wireline (a/k/a landlines) by the FCC. There’s nothing Republic can do about the regulatory classification. It’s utter nonsense that Cricket cannot accept Republic numbers. Landline numbers may be transferred among service providers. Cricket simply as a matter of their policy refuses to do so. Ironically, Cricket is owned by AT&T. AT&T happily transfers landline numbers every day.

With a handful of exceptions, like Cricket, the overwhelming majority of service providers will transfer a landline number. Those handful of exceptions that won’t are Altice Mobile, Cricket Wireless, Google Voice and Hello Mobile.

Generally, like most prepaid service providers, Republic does not issue prorated refunds for unused service. For what it’s worth, this is disclosed when one signs up for annual payment. If you wanted to ask Republic about your specific circumstances, you would need to open a ticket.

4 Likes

Thank you for such a thorough response. It was kind of you and convenient for me to understand your message by you parsing out each question and responding individually.

You really put the Cricket thing into perspective, as I had Googled around quite a bit on that and hadn’t had a sense for the size of the universe that didn’t accept the numbers. I just learned that I can “pit stop” to a cheap service like Ting, somehow making the phone number “mobile,” then move to Cricket.

Indeed, I kept my CDMA SIM. You wrote that the Samsung/CDMA issue has a fix; however I received this message on my ticket this morning" "As to your question about the bug affecting the Samsung phone with CDMA sim, I wish I have better news to share but our engineers are still working on finding a solution. I’m afraid we cannot provide you a specific timeframe as of the moment but we can assure you as soon as the engineering team discovers a fix, you will be notified via this ticket. "

Again, thank you for your help. Minds that can understand all this amaze me.

1 Like

If you’re resigned to taking a pit stop with Ting, you might inquire as to the ability of getting a V1 SIM card from them (if Verizon has good service in your area). Ting’s customer service far exceeds that of Cricket, or even AT&T’s branded prepaid (in my experience).

Hi @josephp.clq1xx,

I’m very sorry to see that you received such a response. Apparently, our agents have not been updated yet that the latest version of the app resolves the issue. I will look in on your ticket and make sure the appropriate teams are aware. If you’ve updated the Republic app to 3.30.0.82, you will find that the CDMA SIM card once again works with the Samsung A50.

1 Like

Thank you. I am looking for the best service, and one stop, only, at Ting would be convenient-if I can’t get my Repub issues worked out. The only issue I am seeing with Ting (and possibly Cricket?), and which ties directly to Repub, is that with phone usage and data while on wifi, it appears people rack up data usage. “even though I’m using the wi-fi service in my home for calls, and my phone shows wi-fi call, ting also charges the minutes used” and “(phone is) using mobile data when making cell calls”. Don’t know if you have any experience with that. Thanks

The FCC classifies numbers based on the network hosting them. For example, Cricket numbers are hosted on their parent company AT&T’s network. Ting numbers are hosted on either T-Mobile’s or Verizon’s network depending upon which Ting SIM one acquires.

While Republic has a partnership with T-Mobile to offer cellular coverage on its GSM or CDMA (legacy Sprint) networks, Republic numbers are hosted on the network of its former parent company Bandwidth.com. It’s part of Republic’s unique blended WiFi/cell service.

AT&T’s T-Mobile’s and Verizon’s networks are all classified as wireless by the FCC. Bandwidth’s network (based on Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology is classified as wireline (a/k/a landline).

Generally, I don’t believe in discussing Republic’s competitors in detail in Republic’s Community. That said, I’d like to offer insight into Ting charging for minutes used. Historically, Ting did charge for both outbound and inbound minutes used. This has changed with Ting’s relatively new plans. Like, Republic Ting offers unlimited talk & text on both WiFi and cell (Ting’s implementation of WiFi calling and text messaging is different from Republic’s). For talk and text, neither Republic or Ting is metered, so it really doesn’t matter whether one is using WiFi or cell.

It does matter when using cell data for Internet access but that’s true of all service providers and all smartphones (Androids or iPhones).

Given the earlier reference to annual payment and that the Galaxy A50/Republic CDMA conflict is resolved, my sincere hope is Republic will remain a viable fit for you.

2 Likes

Hi josephp
Been with RW for around 10 years. When it comes to WiFi and/or ‘help’, from the community, they can’t be beat, in my opinion.
Just something to think about.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks. You do make me realize I need to weigh the benefits here. It’s just that when my situation became complicated, I started losing consistent support, and hence a functioning phone for my work. And I simply don’t have the expertise or time to dedicate to fixing these issues so that I can have a working phone. I realize that’s the tradeoff for a discount phone. just need to weigh whether I want to take the jump to find out that the grass isn’t greener. We’ll soon be adding our 5th line, and I want to be sure I am not further committing to a not-so-good fit.

If it does, it’s largely thanks to your generosity. You helped me more clearly understand my options. Will see how the CDMA works for the next few days, though I’m not hopeful, as the handoff issues remain and that’s where the support started getting sketchy.

Again, thank you.

1 Like

Hi @josephp.clq1xx,

Strictly speaking in terms of Republic service handoff refers to calls moving back and forth between WiFi and cell. Is this the issue? If so, is the issue with WiFi calls moving to cell? Cell calls moving to WiFi? Both?

Or, is the “handoff” issue more generalized and you find your phone using cell data for app Internet access rather than WiFi when WiFi is available?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer