Republic Phone with No Plan?

plans

I’m wondering, is it possible to buy a Republic Wireless Phone but not sign up for a phone plan? If so, is it still possible to text or call over wifi?

The reason I’m asking is because at my job, we are looking for a small phone-sized “smart” device that can run a few specific apps. If it can still call/text via wifi, that is just a benefit.

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Sorry but this would not be possible, as a plan with RW would be required to utilize their interface to the SMS/MMS system and carriers.
Without a plan, all cell phones can only access 911 facilities

4 Likes

Hi @graysonf,

You could use an over the top (OTT) service like Dialpad, Sideline or Google Voice for both calling and text messaging on a WiFi only device. Said device need not be a Republic Wireless phone. Any Android or iOS mobile device capable of accessing WiFi networks and running an appropriate app would suffice.

If calling only is enough, there are other options. Whether any of these options are a better choice than an activated cellular phone (Republic or otherwise), I leave to you.

4 Likes

As another option, you could purchase a used legacy Republic phone (Moto E1, E2, G1, G3, X1, X2) and keep it on the $5/month Wi-Fi only plan.

The phone will activate with the Refund plan: Republic Wireless Plans 2.0: Republic Refund – Republic Help

It would then have a dedicated phone number for making and receiving calls that would still be available if you needed to upgrade to the $10 talk/text plan and use the phone over cell.

4 Likes

Thank you! Those are helpful suggestions. I’ll keep those apps in mind and start doing some research.

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Thank you!

0 Likes

Good to know. I was not aware of that. Thank you!

0 Likes

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

Message an
Expert customer