Republic updates mess with saved networks

Yesterday my phone finally forced the most recent republic update after it rebooted. I haven’t been home since Monday and prior to my leaving, wifi auto connected every time no problem. Today I returned home for the first time after the update and started watching some videos. I burned through 75% of my cell data before it alerted me and realized all me networks had been lost after the update.

Why? Today was the start of a new billing cycle so I have hardly any data left for a month and I would really like republic to give that back. It was their update that cause the problem. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this before.

Hi @reboot.revival

Very sorry to hear of this unfortunate series of events. Are you able to successfully login to your networks?.

Out of curiosity, which specific update are you referring to, the RW app?, or something else?.

As far as the RW app is concerned, I have never lost network login credentials after updating RW on 3.0 or legacy plans that I can recall.

I suggest opening a support ticket with billing and explain the situation. They may be able to provide some satisfactory resolution to your predicament.

I’m pretty sure it was the republic firmware. It just said republic wireless 2.1.6.xxxx ready for update. I usually wait a few days or week and see if there is any chatter of bugs popping up.

I recommend that you take a look at this thread

Thanks but not relevant. My phone simply lost saved networks after the update. I can re-enter the connection info and it connects fine and reconnects automatically fine. The problem is simply that the update screwed up saved info.

I’m really sorry you’re having so much trouble since the operating system update.

On your phone if you go to Settings
Tap on Backup & Reset
Is Back up my data turned on?
Is Automatic Restore turned on?

If they were turned on, your networks should still be available.

First I would suggest clearing the Android System Cache/Partition. It’s possible there isn’t sufficient room on your phone to recall the saved network settings. This will take about 20 minutes to complete and it will not erase any of your personal information:

For your convenience:

Motorola Phones:

The following info refers to the Moto E (1st Gen.), Moto X (1st and 2nd Gen.), and Moto G (1st Gen.) phones only.

A. Turn off your phone and remove any charging cables.

B. With the phone off, press and hold both the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds, then release both buttons.

C. The phone will display different options. Use the Volume Down button to scroll through the options to “Recovery” and press the Volume Up button to select it.

D. The phone will display the Motorola logo, then the Android figure lying down with an exclamation point with the words “No Command” underneath. Press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up button.

Note: If you wait too long to perform this step, the phone will reboot and you'll need to start the process again.

E. The phone will display additional menu options. Use the Volume Down button to scroll to “Wipe cache partition” and press the Power button to select it. The cache wipe will begin immediately.

F. After the Cache Wipe is complete, the menu items will reappear, with “Reboot system now” highlighted. Press the Power button to select it. Your phone will restart.

Once this is completed, go to Setting on your phone
Tap on WiFi
Tap on the 3 dots in the upper right corner
Tap on Saved Networks

Are your networks there?

My Moto X phone stopped detecting WiFi networks. Clearing the cache resolved the problem. Thank you!

So glad to know, thank you for posting the outcome!

My euphoria was short lived. I lost wifi shortly after posting my note. I had to uninstall a RW Telephony update of 9/28/17 to restore wifi capability.

How is your phone working now, now that you’ve had a few days to use it?

Thanks for asking! I have to periodically reboot or clear the cache to
gain access to any wifi network. Most notably:

• The phone doesn’t seem to transition well from one wifi network
    environment to another after being on an interim cellular network. For
    example, I can synch on wifi at home or at work, but it will not synch
    after travelling from one to the other.
  • Many times, the phone does not detect available wifi networks.
  • Sometimes, I still need to reboot to re-establish the wi-fi connection
    while at home or at work.

The RW service I receive has definitely gone way downhill after three years
of amazing performance.

it’s possible this has more to do with the age of the phone than RW’s service.

Are you using Bluetooth with the phone? If you turn off Bluetooth can you connect to WiFi quicker?

If you’re using any security apps and any unessential apps, please uninstall them. Then test the phone.

If you’re still having issues with WiFi connections, my next suggestion is a factory reset. Yes, this does delete all personal information, so backing up EVERYTHING is essential. Please read this document carefully before doing a factory reset. I never used to like suggesting factory resets. After doing one on my old Moto G1 it breathed new life into the phone, hence my suggestion. You will need your original Google account login password handy and your screen password.

If you do the factory reset. After it asks for WiFi connection, let the phone rest for about 30 or 40 minutes. This gives it time to cool off and for Google to run it’s updates. After that install RW and Telephony apps and update PRL and Profile.

I think you nailed it with the age of the phone. It served me well for
three years, but wifi connectivity deteriorated to the point where the
phone won’t connect at all. After removing applications and disabling
Bluetooth, I reset the phone to factory specs. It’s clear now that the
wifi antenna is shot, so I ordered a new Moto Z Play, it should arrive
sometime on Monday.

Thanks for your guidance and assistance,

Paul