Republic will LOSE customers if we can't do PHONE VERIFICATION

More and more sites are doing phone verification and many won’t accept Republic wireless numbers because they are VolP. Twitter can’t be done, Discord, Venmo and a few others.
I really really like Republic wireless but if they don’t lobby FCC or do something about it, I will be forced to LEAVE. I think many others feel same way. THERE NEEDS TO BE A CORPORATE RESPONSE on how to handle this. If NO SOLUTION is found, we must leave.

15 Likes

This has definitely caused me to look at moving away from Republic. All 3 banking apps that I used stopped working with my republic number and corresponding phone over the past year. This means no more phone banking for me.

4 Likes

I have witnessed…(from afar) this issue.

1 Like

Who’s we?

I don’t downplay the frustration that this has caused you and others. I haven’t personally experienced it but it certainly exists.

I would suggest that ‘we’ demand that companies stop using the wholly insecure SMS vehicle for verification in favor of a time based authentication app (ex Google Authenticator) with email as a backup for those without a smartphone.

I recently changed my number and I have one application i use at work that I cannot find anyone who can change it. That is that company’s fault, not Republic. Republic is the endpoint of a technology that another company is using for a purpose it was not intended for and you are caught in the middle of it. I humbly suggest looking to the company to see if they will support another means of authentication.

7 Likes

You have a valid point. Unfortunately major companies are the ones using this type of authentication. Twitter is not going to change for me. Nor will i stop using Twitter. If Republic cannot change with the times or lobby the FCC, Then people will leave. Its a phenomena that i am seeing more and more. Two major companies are doing it along with some Banks.

1 Like

I hear you.

Probably not. That’s their choice.[quote=“kuldeepr.vo5kqb, post:5, topic:31155”]
Nor will i stop using Twitter
[/quote]

Fair enough, that’s your choice. Just to put it out there I’m pretty happy on Mastedon and have been able to replace the flow i use for transit alerts away from twitter. That change may not be possible for our you don’t wish to do it. Both valid.

I may very well be wrong here but my understanding is that this has nothing to do with Republic. I don’t think they have a choice in this matter.

We probably have a better shot of a meeting with Jack Dorsey on the moon to discuss alternate authentication means than this happening, lol. But yeah I would think that since the FCC draws this arbitrary line between wireless and VoIP/Landline i think that’s why you and others are at where you’re at. The fact that it works for some and not others doesn’t help the case either.

Agree. Mine does as well but they do allow for email verification.

1 Like

This issue is a bit more prevalent because of the VOIP thing, however, it is worth nothing that many companies and services do not accept any pre-paid number, VOIP or not.

Things that require identity verification can not be done with a pre-paid number for phone verification. Because anyone can get such a number with little to no, or even fake information given. Post paid is “more secure” it is said for various reasons. That is a law of some sort and i don’t see that being changed anytime soon.

I know Ally, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, and USAA have phone verification and it works with Republic.

2 Likes

For those following this thread this may be useful: Alternative Bank Authentication Methods

Banks have a choice to offer alternatives to insecure SMS for 2FA. Ally, Capital One, Chase, Citi, First Internet Bank, NASA FCU, Navy FCU, Synchrony, TD Bank, USAA and Wells Fargo all offer alternatives.

Bank of America and PNC both allow you to turn off 2FA.

The others who choose to do neither are simply making a choice not to offer a more secure alternative method to their customers.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Twitter will use a Google Voice number in lieu of your Republic number. Google Voice numbers are also VoIP, so most enterprises that don’t accept Republic numbers also don’t accept Google Voice numbers but Twitter does.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Authenticating Twitter with Google voice?

I use 2 step with my Financial Partners Credit Union through Quicken, works fine.

I had the problem with Social Security being unable to text me a code. I called them and after sending them a picture of my drivers license and SS card they were able to manually enter my RW number into their database. I would agree that it makes 2-factor authentication very inconvenient. I have used RW since Beta and like it, but I have also been looking at alternatives

1 Like

My credit union and most all my other apps work fine with republic with the exception of Twitter which isn’t even worth the bother. I’ve been here since day one and have never entertained leaving.

3 Likes

After I read your message, I immediately went to the Social Security website, and immediately got the code.

1 Like

That’s good news. This was several years ago — they must have made a change.

Had this problem with my bank and Social Security. SS allowed me to enable email verification (after waiting almost a month for a letter by snail mail) but the bank would not allow the email alternative for all of its functions. So I switched banks to one that does allow email, at least for now.

But I explored switching from Republic to each of the 4 major carriers. It would have increased my cost by double or more. I almost pulled that trigger. If my current bank eliminates the email alternative then I will have to abandon Republic. I have too many automatic transactions to consider not using my phone for instant checking on anything I don’t recognize.

By the way, after I opened the new bank account, a CSR for the old bank finally responded to my complaint by saying that I could purchase a fob from them ($25) that displayed numbers I could use for verification. I have used these fobs for accessing several employer’s VPN, and they do work but can be finicky. My objection to this was having another everyday-carry doodad filling my pockets. Worse, what if everybody insists on their customers carrying each company’s own branded fob? I might have to wear those ridiculous looking lumpy cargo pants to have enough pocket space for them all.

Banks and other places that have to verify identity do so when you set up the account. If I, as the properly identified and verified account owner, designate a phone number for future authentication, why should they be concerned about which carrier, or type of carrier, hosts that phone number? They have already identified me. Why be so picky about my phone?

Oh, and an example of extremely poor customer service: RW number worked when first set up. Then the company decides to ban VOIP and all of a sudden your authentication fails. No warning. No explanation. No error message. In fact, in many cases even the CSR you finally talk to has no clue.

The point is not to identify u at account creation, it is to later identify possible people posing as u, with a different number. Security measures. Anyone can get VOIP or prepaid number with fake info and try to gain access to other folks account via that number…very common practice. Phishing messages or emails, and/or poor customer service may fall for the bait and switch, or the, “O i have changed my number and cant get the code texted to that old number anymore, change it to new one” from an “irate” customer scam over the phone. I have had it happen to friends and close family members.

My college roomate had his Regions Bank Account mobile number changed to someones Skype number without his permission or knowledge…he only found out when the codes stopped being texted to his phone. CS told him that he called in stating he was locked out, and requested the number changed and that he provided the code they texted the new number back and that was good enough for them. This was over 5yrs ago now.

The Regions Bank scam is an example of lax security by customer service in allowing the verification number to be changed so easily. I now appreciate Social Security insisting on mailing a code via US Post Office to the address of record before allowing a change to the verification method. I only wish they mailed it the next day instead of 3 weeks later.

So a bank that insists on a particular type of phone carrier, because security, but allows easy changes of the number is kind of stupid.

Message an
Expert customer