Republic Wireless and Venmo

They do, however, there is literally nothing they can do about it.
It is not R.W that is setting these restrictions, its the government classification of VoiP as “wireline” and the other companies and services that are setting their own restrictions and certain requirements for their product and/or service. These issues can also affect Pre-Paid customers on the big name carriers as well.

You would need to voice your complaint to the service you are trying to sign up for, in this case, Venmo. But as many have seen, it often will just result in a scripted response.

Perhaps the solution, like it is so often in American business, is not to change the technology or pressure this company or that company, but it rather is to buy a few Congresspeople . . . :wink:

What phone do you have?
Moto z play
What plan are you on?
40.00 a month
Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Everything

Issue Description

I load the venmo app, they see me the confirmation number, I put that in the app. Venmo tells me they do not recognize my cell number as a Mobile phone. Have talked to venmo and they think it is a problem with republic wireless and they say the number is listed vas a voip number. They say that they cannot fix it on their end and to contact republic wireless. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @donnag.hmmbpk,

I’ve moved your post into an existing topic on the same matter. We’re aware of the fact that Venmo has decided not to accept Republic Wireless numbers as valid numbers, and we have opened a dialog with them to try to get them to change this policy. Until they do, there is nothing we can do to enable your number to be validated in their system.

I will point out Republic numbers are VOIP as Republic is a hybrid WiFi first VOIP with Cell Backup provider
there really no reason why one should limit there service to no accept VOIP.

@shannono I am having the same issue as @michaelp.sq50q1. Can you tell us how you have Venmo set up on your Republic Wireless phone, or how you set up your Venmo account?

Hi @zachs.2w0xms,

Most of our Republic staff members who use Venmo set it up some time ago. Venmo only recently changed their policy. Like you, I cannot validate my phone to set up an account. Please open a Venmo support ticket to see if there is anything they can do to allow you to validate the account.

Hi @zachs.2w0xms, I signed up a while ago and had no issue with entering the verification code sent to my phone. I wish I had more helpful information to share. You can find Venmo’s customer support at this link: https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new Hopefully, they can sort this out.

This was Venmo’s response. They will not provide service to VOIP phones. Its too bad they cannot maake an exception for Republic Wireless customers, as it would be nice to be able to use Venmo.

Hi @zachs.2w0xms,

That’s the initial response I received as well. I pressed a little harder pointing out though unique Republic’s service is more than an app installed on a mobile phone. Venmo’s response to that:

@zachs.2w0xms @rolandh sorry guys, I’ve passed this info along to our team. Not sure if there’s anything further we can do but it’s on our radar.

How do you employees at Republic wireless get it working? I cannot seem to get it to work ;(

They signed up before Venmo’s policy on VOIP change. The only thing we can do is keep bugging Venmo to change this policy

Hi @dannyc.mgwd2d,

I’m in the same boat you are. Now that I’m finally ready to join my coworkers in being able to venmo a few bucks here and there for a baby gift or to go in on pizza, I can’t sign up, either. :crying_cat_face:

Is venmo loosing any money from all the RW people that can’t sign up? Perhaps a group signup list and petition can be setup and forwarded to the head guru at venmo to show a huge loss of business opportunity here?

Hi!

Same problem here, same scripted response …

Have you tried responding:

My phone number IS with a mobile carrier. Republic Wireless (https://republicwireless.com). It is on a phone, not through an app, but with a phone (https://republicwireless.com/phones).

Yes, I tried that. After some back and forth, this was the result:

At least, they seem willing to reconsider their policy. Of course, they might just be pacifying me.

That stinks: “I’ll just have to use the Cash App instead.” sees like a perfect reply.

I wasn’t shy about making it clear there were competitive alternatives in the market.