Republic Wireless "Ask Me Anything" (AMA) Livestream event 12/19/2017

Join Republic Wireless live on Facebook from our downtown Raleigh Pop-up Shop. We’ll have a panel of our own Republic Wireless staff members answering your questions live from 12:30 to 1:30 PM ET on Tuesday, December 19, 2017. You’ll find the event streaming live on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/republicwireless

An AMA event wouldn’t be much fun without your questions, so we’ll take some in advance (reply here, or if you’re shy, in this form; as well as some live questions during the event.

Not sure what an AMA is like? View the recording of our November AMA, here:

Note: While AMA does stand for “ask me anything”, we will not be able to violate any federal guidelines by answering your account-specific questions. For support, please open a support ticket. We will also not be able to break any contractual agreements, so future phones, carrier names, and proprietary information requests will be graciously declined.

We're Popping Up in Downtown Raleigh! Pop-up Shop News, Calendar, and Events

What’s a Facebook?

I heard Mr. Chuang quoted on a recent Mashable podcast, Republic is hoping to bring iPhones to its service in 2018. Might there be any additional information avaialble on that?

Why is there resistance to the idea of Republic Anywhere as a SNAP package? This would allow the application to be used on Linux distros that are not Debian-based, thereby increasing the amount of users.

By how many? 30?

Moderator’s note: This post was edited to add context that these questions are actually addressed to another member about his post, and are not questions for the AMA.

As many as use distros such as Solus or Fedora or SUSE which don’t allow for traditional Debian program installations but do allow for SNAPs.
Way things are moving, it seems like Canonical will want to be using SNAPs as much as possible in the future, perhaps even their default package format. RW would just be getting out ahead of it.

Moderator’s note: This post was edited to add context that this reply is addressed to another member about his post, and does not include questions for the AMA.

Obviously I was being sarcastic, but part of the challenge is that Linux is just not that prevalent at all. I’ve used Suse, Fedora and others, but I tend to prefer debian based distros.

Moderator’s note: This post was edited to add context that this reply is addressed to another member about his post, and does not include questions for the AMA.

Anywhere is honestly the only thing keeping me on Ubuntu (although I remain excited for the “GNOME-coming” when 18.04 rolls around). I’ve been really excited by Solus and would love to be able to use Anywhere there.

A real question is whether distros with very unique package handling can it will take hold. It might, but for now I’m sticking with Linux Mint.

Hi @chasb.971kq0,

Before I submit that question to the AMA, could you clarify for me where you’ve seen evidence of resistance?

Can you demonstrate Anywhere’s calling feature on the desktop?

(I think I may be one of the Anywhere beta testers, and I believe Android and macbook app is updated, but I can’t test out Anywhere for some reason. I have opened a support ticket. Nevertheless, I would like to see a demonstration of this new feature if possible).

Edit: Support replied, and my problem is that I’m not using the beta app. I still think this will be a good demonstration for those who aren’t in beta.

I’ve asked if there are any plans to create a snap for the application, and
been told that there are no plans to do so. Seems odd to me given that
Canonical seems is pushing the use of snaps going forward.

Thank you for the clarification. I think the real core of the matter is that our Linux support is purely Beta, and not a primary focus of the project at this time, so there’s no available developer time for creating a snap. I’m also not sure if any of our Anywhere team members will be participating in the AMA, so if your question is not addressed, I’ll try to get someone to follow up with you further by DM.

Why hasn’t RW taken the time to alter the voicemail system to allow member to forward VMs/calls to another RW phone?

Fair enough. Resistance may have been the wrong word, perhaps hesitation
better. In any event, I simply wish to convey my desire to utilize the
benefits of Anywhere without necessarily being tied into the Ubuntu
ecosystem.

I want to echo what @southpaw wrote: we haven’t converted Anywhere to a snap package simply due to constrained development resources (both with Anywhere features and other projects). This is something the Anywhere team has brought up and does have an interest in doing.

Can you give us any hints about what is on the roadmap for Republic for 2018?

(I’ve already seen a hint about iPhone support, but what else might we look forward to?)