Republic Wireless Coverage Update and CDMA Availability

Today we’re excited to tell you about some changes we’ve made to our service! Our coverage for 3.0 phones has now been expanded to include CDMA on select phones sold through the Republic Wireless online store.

**Here’s how it works… **

Our new smart coverage checker tool will let you know which of our phones work best in your area. If the information you enter into the coverage checker indicates that CDMA is clearly better for you than GSM, you’ll see a list of CDMA compatible phones and be assigned to the CDMA network once you purchase one of those phones through our store.

If you’re in an area that has great GSM and CDMA coverage, you’ll be able to choose from any of our 3.0 phones and will be assigned to the network that our tool indicates will work best for you.

We’re confident that by using the coverage checker, you’ll get the best coverage possible. In fact, if you’re having issues with coverage, now or in the future, please let us know. We want to work with you to make sure you’re happy with the service you’re receiving and we’ll do what we can to fix any issues. Simply open a Help ticket and one of our Help team members will work with you to get it resolved.

Please note that at this time, BYOP phones are only compatible with our GSM network. However, we’re continuing our efforts to expand our BYOP coverage to also include CDMA.

For more information, see Republic Wireless Coverage.

If you have any questions, please let us know here and we’ll do our best to answer them.

SIM Card underperforms in my area
For those in Winona, MN (SE MN) how is coverage for you?

If I buy a phone for my granddaughter who lives in an area with coverage that is remarkably different from mine can I override the automatic selection during the ordering process?

Hi @billg,

There is no option to override. We are confident in our process when you follow these steps:

1. Research her Zip code using our coverage checker tool. This will show optimized phones for her area specifically.

2. Add to your cart a phone from our phones page from those we identify as being optimized for coverage in her area.

3. Finalize your purchase.

Your checker doesn’t tell me which service works best, GSM or CDMA. I live in a very fringe area of my zip code so it would be nice to know. Currently I am using a Moto G 1st Gen and I have great service.

I go to the coverage checker for a particular location and get this:

Then I go to the T-Mobile map and get this:

Please explain…

Hi @donaldm.l2akk1,

The coverage checker is intended to show you which phones are optimized for Republic Wireless service in your Zip code. It is not intended to be an indicator of the carrier partner. If you are not happy with the coverage on your new phone, please open a support ticket.

Hi @billg,

Our coverage checker analyzes our coverage in your area and provides results we have the confidence to stand behind.

I don’t want to buy a new phone only to find out I don’t have service, then have to open a support ticket. Why can’t you just say which is what you recommend for service and I can make a decision based on that?

I just showed the GSM coverage for that location. They would be “Home” on T-Mobile in an area where they are presently quite happy roaming on their current Sprint coverage. So, what would happen if I purchased a replacement phone using their shipping address? I’ve traveled in that zip and am also happy to have voice and messaging there.

The coverage checker says “does not have cell coverage” but it does with both Sprint and your GSM carrier.

I’m not trying to get into an argument with you, I’m just telling it like it is.

and will be assigned to the network that our tool indicates will work best for you

Can one selectively pick cdma service? I may be in an area that has both, but I’m looking for a cdma phone specifically when traveling to cdma-only areas. Can you provide a choice, like what ting.com offers?

Selecting service by one zip code does not apply in my case. Thank you,

Hi @donaldm.l2akk1,

What does the coverage checker do when you enter your zip code?

I’m not able to analyze “what would happen if…” scenarios for individual cases. I don’t have access to the logic table for the system. However, we are confident that if you follow the exact steps I provided, the system will recommend phones optimized for the best coverage for that purchase.

Hi @scottm.goo0cy,

Can one selectively pick cdma service? I may be in an area that has both, but I’m looking for a cdma phone specifically when traveling to cdma-only areas.

There is no option to select. We are confident in our process when you follow these steps:

1. Research the Zip code where you are concerned about the coverage. This will show optimized phones for that area specifically.

2. Add to your cart a phone from our phones page from those we identify as being optimized for coverage in that area.

3. Finalize your purchase.

This is an interesting check and change to the Store ordering process. Should help prevent some customer service/purchase fails and should be incorporated into the BYOP page as well to prevent additional fails…

A coverage search eliminated all of the GSM phones for my zip. Assume if one of the GSM/CDMA phones recommended were ordered it would ship withe CDMA card.

Good news! We’ve got multiple phones optimized for coverage in your area,

Please note: “Bring your own phone” is not supported for your location at this time.

33315 search, all phones recommended where both GSM/CDMA coverage good.

Good news! You’ve got coverage in your area.

Interestingly GSM/CDMA work equally well at my home and surrounding area. RW Support responded with the below info on my ticket concerning coverage change after a PRL update on my CDMA G3 several months ago.

The coverage near xxx xxxxxx Drive is located in a very poor coverage area and about 1200 - 1500 meters from roaming coverage,

Now some still wait for RW 3.0 CDMA coverage after purchasing identical phones from from RW or BYOP. How about RW offer some kind of customer support for those people? Should be easy enough to set up a short term program for members to ship phones to RW for the necessary CDMA SIM installations.

RW system will still chose SIM by account zip, not zip of intended use?

I am going to take a shot at the new revelations.

Can I now select my desired carrier? No, Not yet.

Can I now tell which carrier I will get if I order a 3.0 phone from RW for a specific zip code? Yes. If you enter your zip code and are offered all of the present 3.0 phones sold by RW then you will get the GSM carrier. If you are only offered a few select 3.0 phones, you will be getting the CDMA carrier.

I think it is that simple, or not!

With all due respect, and in appreciation of the fact that you are not able to analyze “what would happen if…”.

Following the **exact steps **provided we would end up with Magenta, T-mobile, call it what you will. That provider would not work for us.

This is just another iteration of pay your money and take your chances?

I’m thinking there is an error or omission in the coverage checker that should be fixed. I believe that because it tells me there is no cell coverage in that zip even though both coverage maps indicate coverage and I have personally verified both carriers do cover this area.

My only other thought is that the algorithm rules out “Fair” GSM coverage since the same map shows “Fair” GSM coverage where I live and rules-out GSM-Only phones. It does deem the “Fair” CDMA coverage at my home adequate, however, since it shows CDMA-capable phones available to me. Or perhaps, since it only uses a Zip centered 5 miles from my home, it might be using the better CDMA coverage where I don’t live.

Overall, considering my rural location and the areas I frequent, I have better GSM coverage than CDMA coverage now that the band 12 problem has been fixed. I suppose I would be shipped a phone configured for the less desirable technology but there is no way for me to find out in advance.

This is just another iteration of pay your money and take your chances?

I understand why you may see it that way. From the Help Update:

We’re confident that by using the coverage checker, you’ll get the best coverage possible. In fact, if you’re having issues with coverage, now or in the future, please let us know. We want to work with you to make sure you’re happy with the service you’re receiving and we’ll do what we can to fix any issues. Simply open a Help ticket and one of our Help team members will work with you to get it resolved.

Following the **exact steps **provided we would end up with Magenta, T-mobile, call it what you will. That provider would not work for us.

Thank you for letting me know. I will submit your zip code for further analysis. We truly want to provide the best coverage we can offer to each member.

It just gives a list of phones that is supposed to work in my zip code. What else is it supposed to do?