Republic Wireless Coverage Update and CDMA Availability

southpaw@rw wrote:

I’m not able to analyze “what would happen if…” scenarios for individual cases. I don’t have access to the logic table for the system. However, we are confident that if you follow the exact steps I provided, the system will recommend phones optimized for the best coverage for that purchase.

I analyzed the what-if scenario myself by logging into my granddaughter’s account and taking an order all the way to the last step. Along the way I changed the shipping address to her address in the ZIP described as having no cell coverage and, unless something happens on the very last click that places the order, the system will sell a phone to that address.

This raises more questions: Does the algorithm use the billing address or the shipping address? How can it select a phone in a zip it thinks has no coverage at all?

I won’t debate, for now, whether your coverage checker is even the best solution if you intend to use your phone only in your shipping (or is it based on billing?) Zip code.

What I definitely take issue with is assuming the only place one uses their phone is at or very near their address of record, or even that is where it is most frequently used. At the very least, if you’re going to treat us like children or idiots, unable to read a coverage map and make our own decision, at least allow us to enter a Zip code of where we expect to use it most, or where reliable service is most important, to give us a better chance of ending up with a good match.

donaldm.l2akk1 wrote:

It just gives a list of phones that is supposed to work in my zip code. What else is it supposed to do?

In my case it rules out the cheap ones that only have my preferred coverage.

This is great, but when will we be able put 3.0 BYOP’s on CDMA?

“Soon™”, I’m sure.

It just gives a list of phones that is supposed to work in my zip code. What else is it supposed to do?
From: Republic Wireless Coverage Update and CDMA Availability

Here’s how it works…

Our new smart coverage checker tool will let you know which of our phones work best in your area. If the information you enter into the coverage checker indicates that CDMA is clearly better for you than GSM, you’ll see a list of CDMA compatible phones and be assigned to the CDMA network once you purchase one of those phones through our store. …

…at least allow us to enter a Zip code of where we expect to use it most, or where reliable service is most important, to give us a better chance of ending up with a good match.

You can here: Coverage Check | Republic Wireless. For your consideration, why would we be asked to specify a zip code if they were simply using our shipping and/or billing zip code? They already know those.

Hi @tomt.yr0sma ,

We can’t promise a date for being able to help out BYOP members whose coverage stinks, but we are working diligently toward that goal, as we definitely recognize the need.

Please sign up to be notified as we have news:

Request to be contacted if/when CDMA coverage is available for 3.0 BYOP.

Does this mean I will never be able to choose a CDMA phone on my own even thought I don’t want a GSM phone? If I purchase a phone and the tool select GSM could I ask RW to switch the network or do I just send it back. I would love a new phone, but I will not purchase until I am sure I will be getting a CDMA phone, because all the places I visit CDMA have better coverage. It is only when I am at home GSM and CDMA are both strong.

@rolandh ,

For your consideration, why would we be asked to specify a zip code if they were simply using our shipping and/or billing zip code?

RW system will still chose SIM by account zip, not zip of intended use?

I have not read a reply to my earlier question.

FAIL! Said BYOP not available - meaning it wants to put me on Sprint. Which is horrible here. Weak voice, dialup-speed data. OTOH, “Magenta” has great coverage here, including LTE.

Not to mention that I’d be forced to buy one of your overpriced phones, instead of a more competitively priced device elsewhere, or bringing one I already own. Oh, and be stuck with inferior, battery-gobbling CDMA technology.

From whom are you expecting a reply? I know what you know. I’m reading between the lines. If the choice is being made based on account zip (shipping or billing), why ask for a zip code?

Misjudging the coverage is an entirely different issue. Perhaps @southpaw@rw would submit the zip code in question for further analysis as indicated here: https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/65894-republic-wireless-coverage-update-and-cdma-availability#comment-5178…. She would, of course, need the zip code.

Or, since you know GSM coverage is superior for you, why not just go BYOP?

Hi @jwright132!

Right now, the system will decide which partner works better in your area. This does not necessarily mean that it will always be this way. This is just the way it is right now .

mb2x

I submitted a zip. No luck with that.

why ask for a zip code?

It’s more closely related to coverage than member’s sex identification.

I saw your comment. I believe that’s three noted in the thread, where the accuracy of the coverage check tool has been called into question. For what it’s worth, I’ve checked multiple zip codes and gotten the results I would expect. I do realize that obviously that’s not been a universal experience.

I did take another look at the list of phones that the coverage checker gave me, and noticed that the “GSM-only” (non-CDMA) phones had been removed from the list. So, from that, it looks like the checker has put me in CDMA-land, which is good news. Since that’s where I am. Makes it tempting to buy a phone smile, but I’m still waiting for BYOP to come along. A SIM for my current beautiful phone would be a lot cheaper than a new phone.

Glad to see that the checker seems to be in working order, from my point of view.

I just checked 58103 (Fargo, ND) and all of the GSM-only phones were excluded. Then I went to the T-Mobile map and dropped pins around the part of Fargo covered by that ZIP (they have more than one post office) and got “good” to “excellent” coverage which matches my experience with my S7 on GSM there. Actually, the other parts of Fargo have good T-Mobile coverage too and the four Fargo zips all exclude the GSM-only models. So why exclude all of the cheaper GSM-only phones?

Because apparently the coverage check tool believes GSM coverage would provide an inferior experience there. I’m perfectly willing to allow for the possibility the tool is fallible. As, by the way, are the partner carrier maps. I recall more than one thread where the maps have been charitably called optimistic. I would put much more stock into experienced facts on the ground.