Republic Wireless v2 vs v3

Hello.

I purchased my RW phones under the 2.x world…just about a month before 3.x. From a consumer point of view, what are advantages RW 3.x provides over 2.x?

Thanks in advance.

-DaverDee

MyChoice (4.0)

Pros:

• Better Price on Data
  • Service is more consistent
  • Software works better
  • Unlocked phones
  • Choice of CDMA or GSM
  • Plan changing is more flexible and pay-as-you-go data.
  • Possible android updates.
  • More than just Motorola

Cons:

• Higher costs for users who use less than 0.6GB of data.

Republic Refunds (2.0) [Legacy]

Pros:

• Lowest price for users who use less than 0.6GB of data.
  • Unused data is refunded at the end of the month.
  • WiFi only option.

Cons:

• Almost twice the cost per GB of data.
  • Plan changing is less flexible.
  • Aging phones are beginning to lose out on new features due to android version requirements.
  • Users who want to use more than 0.6GB of data are paying more.
  • Bill can be inconsistent if you use data differently each month.
  • CDMA only.
  • Phones are locked to Republic and cannot be used on other providers.
  • Motorola only.

This is based on both my experience going from a Moto X2 [2.0] to my Moto G5s+ [4.0] and what I’ve seen throughout the community. A lot of people love the 2.0 plans and they are a great deal for those who use less than 0.6GB of data but everywhere else the 4.0 plans shine. (In my opinion).

6 Likes

Another 3.0 Pro, the additional GSM choice may allow members to experience substantially higher data speeds than available with Sprint in some coverage areas.

1 Like

That’s a great summary of the pros and cons with v2 vs v3.

I would add that v3 has Anywhere, which is getting better and better!

Anywhere works on v2 the same as it does on v3/4.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Wow, that’s nice that RW has continued to extend support to older phones.

1 Like

On v2 anywhere converts text to IP base like all text in v3 so no more missing text when traveling out of coverage and only occasionally connected to WiFi [in v2 if text was sent and phone was off WiFi then text would go to cell and be lost after a 72 hour time out]

2 Likes

That’s really good for me to know, too, because I recommended a family that’s living in a foreign country to go with the RW legacy plan when they came to the states. They’re obviously on the wifi only plan. Based on the information in this thread from @Burusutazu, I just recommended them to put Anywhere on their computer and their phone today. Anywhere is really good for them I think too, just in case their phone gets stolen, or it breaks.

I will relay that info that you just told me to them, too, @drm186. Thanks!

2 Likes

one of the biggest issues with V2 was the inability to switch the WiFi only plans on demand (V1 could do this as part of the 2 plan changes in V2 one had to wait for the next billing cycle) so when I had to go to our southern neighbor (Ontario Canada) for work (which could be for a few days) I would lose texting (one of the reason I stayed on V1 for so long)
Anywhere fixed this issue

2 Likes
Message an
Expert customer