Repurpose old RW phones - any guidance?

Hi. We have an old Moto X (1st gen) and a Moto G3. Both of them have some unpredictabilities (esp battery life), but we’d like to repurpose at least one for our 12 year old son to be:

1. a music player (downloaded music only)
  2. a reader (ie, an “e-reader”)
  3. nothing else (no internet or wifi when it’s in his hands)
    He spends 2+ hours on the bus each day, some when it’s still dark. He’d appreciate it, and so would we!
    Can anyone perhaps offer guidance on how to do this?

Hi @scottb.bb71u7!

I have looked around and I tried Jrummy Apps Bear Lock. You download it to the phone, setup a pattern (you can also switch to a PIN), and then you can pick apps to block. In your case, you will want to block all of them except Kindle (or a related app) and Google Play Music (or a related app). You can still enable internet via the shortcut menu (the pulldown menu), but only if the networks are already saved to the device. You will also want to check the setting (in the settings) that prevents it’s uninstallation.

You may want to download it and take it for a test drive. It’s pretty easy to use!

Thank you so much. I’m working on it now and think I’m almost done.

Can I delete or disable all RW apps? If so, will the phone still be able to access wifi some way when needed?

Your helpfulness is so appreciated!

Hi @scottb.bb71u7!

I don’t believe that you will be able to delete the Republic App, but you should be able to protect it with Bear Lock. The Republic App isn’t going to serve a purpose for the phone unless you activate it. Disabling the app will not hinder your ability to connect to WiFi. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

As a side note, make sure you check the Bear Lock setting to protect the App from deletion. If it’s not checked, one can just uninstall the Bear Lock without a password or anything.

Once again, so helpful!

I’m very close.

However, the bear lock app doesn’t prevent access to the quick settings (swiping down from the top of the screen). Any ideas for that? I’m coming up empty googling for phones running Android 5.1.

Hi @scottb.bb71u7!

Unfortunately, that’s one of the flaws of it. He will have access to the quick setting menu, but it will not let him access the main settings menu from the quick settings menu (if it’s protected). There isn’t anything that is too worrying from the quick settings menu though. There isn’t a way to access the internet or anything.

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Message an
Expert customer