Request option to block/ignore incomming calls dailed direcly to the "Hidden" number

What phone do you have?
Moto X4 with Extended Home

What plan are you on?
3.0 Monthly

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text?
Just talk and Text

Request option to block/ignore incoming calls dialed directly to the “Hidden” Number.

I have extended home and sometimes my cell rings and not the extended home phone. I can replicate this by calling the “hidden” number from another phone. I am looking for a way to block incoming calls dialed directly to the “hidden” number. Since I believe this “hidden” number is used for RW internal purposes, I am hoping there is a way to reject incoming calls dialed directly the RW internal “hidden” number.

I believe these “hidden” are most likely recycled numbers. I have an identity theft service which informed me the “hidden” number was compromised along with the name associated with it. It wasn’t my name. I did have RW change that “hidden” number, but the problem persists.

I had 2 Social Security scam calls today. The first went to voice mail because my cell was off. The home phone never rang. The for the 2nd, the cell rang and but not the home phone. I let it go to voicemail. 2 other family members with RW phones also received these Soc Sec calls on the same day from the same exchange. However they had no way of telling if the incoming calls were dialed to the “hidden” or their real numbers without extended home.

To test my theory, I then turned off power to the Mobil Radio via ##4636##. I called the “hidden number” of my RW phone from another phone. The home phone never rang. It went directly to voicemail. I then called my real number from my other phone. The cell and home phone both rang as expected.

For another test , I called my previous “hidden” number. I received message saying it was out of service.

RW support suggested I leave a feature request here. — When an incoming call is directly dialed to the “hidden” number, it would be ideal if the caller thinks its out of service or rings endlessly, thereby really hidden. Since extended home is smart enough to ignore calls from the “hidden” number, why not add that ability to our smart phones.

On reddit the only answer I found was to keep changing the “hidden” number till you get one that isn’t too bad. But I am hoping for a more permanent solution.

Thank you.
Your help be greatly appreciated.

That would require Republic to work with the cellular carrier to establish elaborate blocking schemes, different for every line, that ignore the forwarded caller ID and somehow understands the underlying routing to reject calls. Today, based on my understanding of the system, all calls look the same to Sprint or T-Mobile, they look like a direct call from the call originator (the original caller ID is passed through). This would be a massive undertaking and I think it is more likely that Republic gives up its hybrid calling technology than be able to implement this.

1 Like

Hi @martins.mkrfxb,

I’m sorry to see that our Help Team advised you to create a feature request here in Community when this is not something that would be possible to do. We do not have a way to know if the call we are delivering to your cell phone was originally placed by dialing the cellular routing number or by dialing your Republic number.

It’s not that the Extend Home phone “blocks” these calls, it’s that calls to the cellular routing number go directly to the cell phone. They never touch our server, so there is no way for us to route them to Extend Home.

Do you have our spam-blocking features enabled in the Republic app?

3 Likes

Yes.
Calls from suspected spammers - Blocked
Calls from unsaved numbers - Allow
Calls from unsaved Neighbor Numbers - Send Directly to voicemail

Do you recommend anything be changed?

Also the help desk suggested I put both my real and hidden numbers in the “do not call registry”. I am a bit hesitant to do that because I heard that can actually increase spam from the bad actors who don’t follow the rules anyway. Your thoughts?

Thanks

I believe there is only one reason to put a number on the DNC registry and that’s if you believe that you’ll be able to track down spammers and sue them for damages and collect. Otherwise it makes no sense as advise because the spammers are already breaking the law. They’re using robocalls (illegal without your prior permission), they’re calling to scam you, etc. Why would someone who is committing a patently illegal act then say: “Oh geeze, I was going to scam that guy on a car warranty, but he’s on the do not call list, I can’t call him now!” Absurd, right? On the other hand, if you’re a scammer committing illegal acts why wouldn’t you think “Wow, the US government has made a list of numbers that are good for me so that I know a bunch of numbers I can call!”?

1 Like

I suppose that it would break RW functionality to put the underlying number into the phones blocked number list…

Calls don’t come from the underlying number. The cellular part of the phone IS the underlying number. Blocking calls “from” the underlying number would do nothing as no calls come from there and blocking calls “to” the underlying number would keep you from ever receiving a call on cellular.

That’s what I expected the answer to be.

By the responses received, this request seems difficult to implement because of the 2 networks involved? What about an alternative solution? I have noticed that more calls are being blocked by RW in the last 6-8 weeks. However the scam calls are coming from the cellular “hidden” side. Isn’t T-Mobil RW’s cellular partner? T-Mobil has 2 products supposedly baked into their network for all their pre and post-paid customers. Scam ID to let let you know a call is likely a scam and Scam Block to actually block the scam calls. Isn’t RW a customer of T-Mobil and shouldn’t we as RW customers benefit from these scam id/blocking features when calls are router over T-Mobil’s network? And if those 2 products don’t do the job, couldn’t T-Mobil allow us to use their ScamShield app to further control calls routed over their network?

This happened to me too. Republic can give you a new “hidden” number if you are innundated.

Republic could address the issue in the scenario where a call comes in on that number and a data connection is available. The Republic app could just ping Republic and ask “did you forward this call to me?” If not, the app could send it to voicemail just like a spam call.

This means the Republic App would have to intercept the call (which it doesn’t currently touch at all), keep the phone from ringing until the check was done, then pass the call through if it passes, or send it to voicemail if it doesn’t, all hopefully without impacting the number of times the phone rings (which people already think is too short). While in theory anything can be done, the technical realities of such things are never as simple as they might seem.

Maybe using an onboard call blocker such as “should I answer” would work. I’ve used that app before and it’s quite nice.

1 Like

It does intercept the call, that’s how the spam blocking works. That’s also ow all of the call blocking apps in the app store work.

It does not work on calls directly to the underlying number.f.

Message an
Expert customer