Reusing an old RW phone

My husband and I have been RW customers for years. Last year, he retired his Moto E when he got an iPhone from work. Now our daughter is asking for a cell phone and that phone would make a great starter phone for her. Can it be reactivated even though it’s not a “current” RW phone?

Hi @stephanieb.p1tc1g,

Am I correct, this is a 1st or 2nd generation Moto E. If I’ve got that right, please see here: How to Activate a New Number on an Existing Account with a 1.0 or 2.0 Phone – Republic Help.

As your daughter was not the last user of the phone, a factory reset prior to reactivating is best practice.

If the Moto E in question is newer, please let us know.

I have a similar situation. My daughter is buying a new phone and I’m looking to upgrade from my existing republic wireless phone to her old one.
She has a Moto G5 plus, so this isn’t a 1.0 or 2.0 phone like in the previous situation. Is the process for this phone the same?

IF she getting a new Phone from Republic it will come with a new SIM and best practice would be to use that SIM and after she activated her new phone you can take her old phone factory reset it and reactivated it (with it’s current SIM) in a similar way
if she getting a phone from else where (3rd Party seller) then one of you would need to get the BYOD SIM as she may use a GSM SIM from her current phone in a new Phone (If current phone is CDMA then that SIM can not be used in a New Phone swapping phones by Swapping SIMs is a GSM feature so she would need to use the a BYOD SIM)

If after activating a BYOD SIM and a CDMA is needed a CDMA SIM can be sent out for phones compatible with Republic CDMA partner How to Request a 3.0 CDMA SIM Card – Republic Help

Thank you! I’m relieved to know we can start her out with a phone we already own. I appreciate your help!

Great! Thank you so much!