RW app saying new Moto G5 plus phone not compatible with RW

activation

What phone do you have? Moto G5 plus

What plan are you on? MyChoice?

Does your plan include data, or just talk & text? Yes, I have one GB of data per month.

Issue Description

I bought a new Moto G5plus off of eBay. First, I thought I could transfer my SIM card from my old Moto G4 to this phone, but quickly discovered that would not work. I did try activating my phone with that card by opening the Republic Wireless app, and it didn’t work. Now I’ve ordered and inserted a new SIM card from Republic Wireless, but when I open the Republic Wireless app to activate it, the app is telling me that my phone is not compatible with Republic Wireless.

1st make sure you have the North American Factory Unlock version
Moto G5 Plus (XT1687)
Moto G5S Plus (XT1925-6)

Please go to Settings – About Phone

What does it say there for both “Model” and “Software Channel”?

Model: Moto G5 plus
Software channel: retla

How can I check that? That could very well be my issue, since I did buy it from an eBay seller.

It’s under settings–>system -->about phone–>hardware information–>SKU

I will also note the software channel is not a US version, I believe it’s a Latin America version

I will note the note for Motorola US base phone on the supported phones page

1BYOP Motorola phones will need to be North American unlocked, and on software channel RETUS or AMZ to be compatible with both of our cellular providers. If they are not on one of those software channels, the phone may work with our GSM provider but not on our CDMA partner’s network. To find the software channel on your Motorola phone, please follow these steps.

Sorry to say that “RETLA” is the Latin American version of the phone and can’t be used with Republic.

Thank you! I’ll have to return the phone I suppose. Do you know if I can save the SIM for my new phone once it arrives?

as long as the SIM has not been activated it will be good for some time (years?)
once activated and then deactivated it’s only good for 20 days

Never activated GSM SIMs typically have a shelf life of roughly 3 years. Usually, an activate by date is on the card.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.