RW Layoffs in the news Friday 5/31

At this point, given the protections that consumers are given with telco services, I’m comfortable enough and don’t feel so self-important enough that the more important thing here isn’t the people that lost their jobs. Having had the opportunity to interact with some of them over the years, I would like to wish them all well in their future endeavors. Given the level of talent I’ve encountered I have no doubt they’ll land somewhere great and only hope I have to opportunity to run across them again!

4 Likes

There were numerous and repeated requests here in Community for an annual payment option often mentioning Mint Mobile’s advance payment options. I don’t see any reason to believe Republic’s decision to offer an annual prepay option as anything more that Republic attempting to respond to requests from an apparently significant portion of its customer base.

5 Likes

Point taken.

While I don’t anticipate needing to find another provider in the next year I’d like to hear more about the referenced consumer protections supposedly afforded to those choosing to pay annually for twelve months of service.

I wish the best for those affected by the layoff and hope they can soon get over the disruptions to their and the families lives.

:flight_departure:

1 Like

I continue my faith in Republic Wireless and my only concern is for their people that have been affected … Here is a reference that I believe may answer your concern Link to FCC’s ‘When Your Telephone-Company Discontinues Service’

The 1st paragraph is quoted below … there is consumer protection

FCC rules prevent telephone companies from abruptly discontinuing or reducing service for any reason, including bankruptcy. The rules, which also apply to Voice-over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service, are designed to protect you from an abrupt change or termination of service and to allow time to arrange service with another provider.

5 Likes

20 employees - 10% = 2 20 % = 4
35 employees - 10% = 3.5 20% = 7
125 employees - 10% = 12.5 20% = 25
It’s all numbers, and RW luckily isn’t a large company. Here’s a large number.
4400 employees - 20% = 880 employees

Our company laid off 20,000 employees in the 2008-2010 time frame. The CEO used to say not to think of in terms of 20,000 employees, but 20,000 dinner tables full of families. It sucks, and it hurts, but you keep going. Many of those laid off went on to bigger and better things. Some didn’t. Some were hired back in the subsequent years. The important thing was to be there for those that did not have the good fortune of keeping their jobs, and acknowledging that those who kept their job were hurting too.

6 Likes

cbwahstrom:
I quickly read that last sentence of your post, and thought I saw:
“those who kept their job were hunting too”.
Then I re-read it and saw “hurting too”.
There was probably a lot of both going on!
I worked for a company that had lay-offs and rumors of lay-offs for all the 32+ years I was there.
I was hoping for one at the end, so I could have gotten a “separation bonus”, but alas timing is everything, and it was not on my side.
Good luck to all those that were laid off, I hope you get something better and quickly!

3 Likes

Wikipedia says Republic employees over 150 people. So we are looking at over 30 people. It does not seem small to me.

1 Like

To give you an idea… Verizon employs about 161,000, Sprint about 30,000, AT&T about 268,000 and T-Mobile US about 52,000.

So, 150 (if that’s correct) is umm, small.

2 Likes

Yes. It is small, but we are not talking about 2 people, but 30. That is a lot for a small company. People we trying to make it seem like it was 2 or 3 people. Not quite.

1 Like

A reminder to those participating in this topic to please review our Community Guidelines and keep this discussion on topic.

If you have other complaints or comments about our company, please start a new topic.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, along with the fact that their latest plans don’t allow rollover minutes or even 30 day usable minutes i.e. they expire on your monthly billing date even if you bought them 2 days previous. All those things seem to be a desperate reach for $$.
That being said, they still have one of the best plans, and I will stick around.

It’s been that way for over 3 years (since May 2016). This is nothing new.

4 Likes

Although I’ve been with RW for many years, I very rarely buy data (maybe once a year for a vacation) so only recently became aware of the “lose it on billing day” aspect when my dtr told me about it.

All new 3.0 phones need to be activate on the My Choice plan. The older Legacy phones can still be used with the refund plan that refunds for the data not used.

:flight_departure:

2 Likes

Your math is a bit off on that last line its 880, not 480.

I’ve survived many a round of “large” layoffs at “big companies”, and too numerous to count small layoffs. Back in 1990 when I started working at Nortel, people were telling me the average number of times an employee gets laid off is 3-times in their lives. Now I think with the lack of loyalty companies have to their employees that number is much-much higher. Gone are the days of companies like “Big Blue” where if you were loyal to them they would be loyal to you.

Its all about what can you do for me today?

When I came to the job I am at now back in 2000, there were over 75 engineers here in the US dedicated to my project. Now there are officially only 3 left in the US still dedicated full time to my project. Layoffs hurt non only those who are laid off, but also those who remain. And when done wrong, layoffs hurt the customers as well.

An no matter how big or how small the layoff is, if you are one of the ones let go, its huge! And if you are one of the ones remaining, its a huge impact as well.

3 Likes

Actually a percentage of cuts is the best descriptor there is…whether you have 10 employees or 10,000 employees…if you cut 20% of the force, it is more than an adjustment. It is a re-alignment and a significant cost cut. Along with cost cut also means deep cuts in research, and development, and strategies for future development and already lost market share or share that was supposed to develop but didn’t. Numbers never lie, they tell stories that can only point to conclusions based upon what those numbers mean to the company.

But I have never seen a company who wants to admit that they didn’t do something correctly, and there is always an explanation that puts a better light on that cut in staff. Always!

While this is indeed sad news (particularly for those laid off), I see no reason for me, as a consumer/customer, to panic. Worst case scenario for me is that RW closes shop, in which case I just take my phone to another carrier. Of course it isn’t that simple for those who are still using legacy RW-only phones, but still, there are other options and it isn’t the end of the world for the customer.

RW has provided terrific value to me over the last 5+ years. I don’t expect it to come to an end, but if it should, I have nothing to complain about.

5 Likes

I am glad that Republic is having such strong revenue growth, profitability is key to longevity.
I realize that is none of my business.

1 Like
Message an
Expert customer