RW support for 5g

I well understand that RW service is largely wifi based when possible. That is the point!

That said, is there a plan underway to support 5G when desired or needed?

Hi @peterw.j6isdu,

I’m confident Republic is looking at the possibility of future 5G support. Historically, Republic doesn’t offer estimates of or otherwise pre-announce support for new features. If/when Republic has something to say, it would be said here: Announcements & News - Member Community.

For what it’s worth, 5G is in its infancy. The promise of widespread super fast 5G remains more marketing hype than reality at this point. Currently available 5G is, at best for the most part, marginally faster than existing 4G LTE. This was pretty much the scenario when 4G LTE was new. At first, it didn’t significantly outperform then widespread 3G technologies.

5G’s day will certainly come but is still a ways off. There are few 5G capable phones in the market (yes, I’m aware Apple announced the iPhone 12 series yesterday). As you know, outside of an ongoing but currently closed beta, Republic does not support iPhones. On the Android side, there are a handful of mostly expensive 5G capable phones.

1 Like

Here’s a twist, I currently have a Samsung S20FE 5G on AT&T and the 5G is SLOWER than 4G LTE. We’ve turned off 5G on the phone for now. (The reason is here: AT&T’s current 5G is slower than 4G in nearly every city tested by PCMag | Ars Technica)

We also have a Note 20 Ultra 5G on T-Mobile and there is no difference that we can tell versus the LG V40 we have on T-Mobile LTE. We’ve done side by side speedtests with really no measurable difference.

Great for marketing but meh.

1 Like

I think it’s going to take a long time for reality to catch up to the 5g hype. Verizon named Little Rock as one of the early roll out cities - just under 200,000 in population. But when you look at the deployment plan, only select areas are going to be covered. If it covers 20k I think that would be stretching it

Fact is, 5g has a very, very short range and deployment will be time consuming
since so many transmitters are required to blanket the same area that a current 4g tower can cover. Unfortunately, the deployment could potentially result in haves and have-nots (hopefully not based on biased demographics).

Is it T-mobile that’s crows about nationwide 5g? That depends on how the definition of “nationwide” is flexed, but I doubt it means what most rational people would assume (90-95% population coverage). It’s marketing hype.

1 Like

Sort of. There are two distinct types of 5G. The ultra fast mmWave that has the coverage you’re talking about.

Then there’s mid-band and low-band 5G. T-Mobile has deployed low-band 5G as an overlay to their LTE network and will be doing the same with mid-band 5G (refarmed Sprint frequencies). Because it is an overlay, their 5G network has the same “nationwide” footprint as their LTE network. Same is true for AT&T.

Message an
Expert customer