Samsung Note 8 Model Compatibility

Which of these phones

1. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F/DS 64GB (FACTORY UNLOCKED)

2. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950U 64GB (FACTORY UNLOCKED)

3. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950U1 64GB GSM CDMA Smartphone

4. Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F/DS 64GB (FACTORY UNLOCKED)

which Im considering purchasing on eBay be supported by Republic Wirelsss?

Because last week I bought – and had to return a phone – that was ATT Unlocked :frowning:

I want to avoid drama :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Hi @jayr.rqya4v!

Option number 3 is the only compatible one from that list. Please see this very helpful guide written by my fellow Ambassador @louisdi here: How to Find a Compatible Unlocked Phone . You can also cross-check it from the official phone compatibility guide here: Republic Wireless Phones – Republic Help .

Thank you for your prompt response :slight_smile:

Just a clarification. IF “Unlike previous Samsung phones, the plain “U” version is NOT factory unlocked, and therefore NOT compatible with Republic” why do eBay sellers claim their phones – say Option 1, 2, 4 – are factory unlocked when they seemingly [according to the forum] arent?

“Factory unlocked” is a bit of a misnomer. You can get a factory unlock after it has been manufactured and sold. For example, you can get T-mobile to factory unlock a phone (for use on say AT&T) even though it was originally sold as a T-mobile only phone. It’s kind of confusing :wink: . I am sure someone else can explain it more in-depth than me.

Can I safely assume that THIS model would be fine:

New Other Unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 8 N950U N950U1 Gray AT&T TMobile Cricket
MPN SM-N950UZVAXAA

Thank you!

Hi @jayr.rqya4v!

Edit: looks like you should be good.

I wouldn’t assume anything. eBay sellers are notorious for unlocking carrier versions of a phone and sometimes flashing a different ROM. You should contact any seller and be certain of what you are buying (especially on eBay). A new US carrier agnostic Note 8 costs ~$950. If you’re seeing them at a deep discount, you should ask why.

I understand.

While it says,

On the phone: The model number listed MUST be SM-G950U1, SM-G955U1, SM-N950U1, SM-G960U1 or SM-G965U1.

in the NEXT section: it says

" On the box or websites: In this case the SKU must start with SMG950U, SMG955U, SMN950U, SMG960U or SMG965U and MUST end with XAA.

In other words, does it seem like EITHER On the phone details should end with 950U1 or On the Box, it should end with XAA (which this model does)?

Am I misunderstanding the clarification? Thank you, as always!

This is starting to confuse me too. I re-read it again, and it looks like you should be good (I misread it previously). I know that @louisdi knows what he is talking about and he says it should be good to go based on his guide.

It’s not a misnomer at all, what you are referencing is the difference between a carrier unlock and factory unlocked. Factory unlocked means exactly that, the phone left the factory unlocked. When a phone is unlocked after leaving the factory that’s a carrier unlock.

A string ending in U1 (not U) is the factory unlocked model number. A string ending in XAA is Samsung’s manufacturer’s SKU that also indicates a factory unlicked variant. They are one and the same. Whether a particular eBay seller’s representation is accurate is another matter. Caveat emptor on that.

Initially yes, but anymore, as we can see here, it has become synonymous with a permanent unlock. People sell unlock services that claim to be “factory unlocks” which, apparently, they really aren’t and I think that has a part in confusing everyone (me included).

What someone else (particularly an eBay seller) represents it as is irrelevant. It’s widely accepted in the industry that factory unlocked means the a phone left the manufacturer in an unlocked and carrier agnostic state. After the fact unlocks performed by a carrier are called carrier unlocks for precisely that reason. If a third party is representing that as a factory unlock, they are being disreputable and I would suggest avoiding doing business with them.

Moved this to the #QA category since it was not a problem that needed troubleshooting in the #problems category.

Correct

In the industry, we usually call these SIM or Subsidy locked phones. If the carrier requirements are met they remove the lock but the phone usually has all of the carrier custom core software on the phone and often the carrier still controls the update schedule.

Just wanted to say that the new phone came in the mail, and it works…do far :wink:

Just wanted to write and express my deepfelt gratitude for all the selfless good that you chaps do :slight_smile: in patiently answering Qs and offering advice: ALL of you are a veritable tribute to humanity!!

That might be a bit 'over the top @jayr.rqya4v :stuck_out_tongue: …(but although @cbwahlstrom is pretty awesome) … and others just like him/her, and yourself, make this a great place.

send a Kudo(s) * Kudo & Win! * :relaxed:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.